Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabriel's Moult

+3
Tuckerbunnies
Sparky
Sixer
7 posters

Go down

Gabriel's Moult Empty Gabriel's Moult

Post by Sixer Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Gabriel is just going through the most horrendous moult. All the other buns seem to moult from nose to tail but he just loses fur from all over. His fur is so fine that brushing him doesn't work all that well and I have found the most effective way to remove loose hair is to stroke him and gently ease the fur out by hand. I have been at him in this way every day since Saturday. I did buy a furminator a couple of years ago but decided it was much too big/heavy/harsh for little bunnies. Gabriel seems to prefer being held and groomed by hand rather than being on a surface, he snuggles down and makes no attempt to nip as he normally would.

The amount of loose fur though is never ending and I made the mistake of wearing a fleece the first day - I was absolutely smothered in white fur. I think I need one of those suits that the forensic people wear!

Given Gabe seems to enjoy it - or at least isn't objecting I am wondering whether moulting cause a sense of itchiness or irritation to a bun and that being groomed is a relief.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Gabriel's Moult Empty Re: Gabriel's Moult

Post by Sparky Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I assume Gabe is not normally one for even sitting still, let alone being touched at the same time? Laughing

I saw a horrendous picture on the interweb of a bunny who had had a whole strip of skin removed by a furminator pale (by a very caring and extremely horrified owner) so would not go near a bun with one now.

Layla and Jack quite like being brushed when they really need it, if they don't feel it is necessary they are off.

Humum recommends denim for not ending up covered in bun fur - she has a very 1980's denim shirt which she wears at cleanout time sometimes and the fur just comes straight back off it. So as long as nobody is going to see you, she recommends you pop back to 1984 and get one Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 pm

I noticed a couple of our's are in heavy moult and I keep finding bit's of Lucy Rose's fur everywhere as she is in heavy moult to. You can spend forever brushing them and it's like magic there is just more and more and more Rolling Eyes

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Ted moults in a very scruffy way, all over, and he tends to get a baldy spot on the back of his neck!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Denim - now there's an idea Thumbs Up Chris's army surplus store gear would probably do the trick as well.

And yes Maysie, I keep thinking there can't possibly be any more fur to come out but it is so not the case Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 pm

this weather is so changeable at the moment the bunnies don't know whether to wear shorts and t shirt or a quilt Laughing Laughing
it must agitate them somewhat when fur is all loose and moulty poor gabe Love Love Love Love Love Love

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Gabriel's Moult 1B27CD90-7275-4271-847C-B8F021C3436C-349-0000001F7BCCBB6E_zps38391944

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Ooh, where did you get that from Rob? That might do the trick. The slicker brush I tried on him had no effect whatsover.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm

I bought it in Tesco's Vanessa it's brill I use it when I take bluebell to the vets as she gets sooo panicky I gat fur flying everywhere Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Humum has one of those, she picked it up in Poundstretcher she thinks. She uses it on clothes but she thinks it might work well on buns too. The nap lays in one direction so one way it picks up fur and when you rub your finger the other (smooth) way it takes the fur back off.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Poor Gabe! Is he grumpy with it too?

Jeeves always seems to be in moult, every time I start grooming it can last ages because it's never-ending. Once you start pulling some out it just keeps going!

Sparky that sounds awful! I'm always so wary using it incase I bash their backbone or pull out still attached fur. I use it super lightly.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 am

Yes, he is grumpy - or more grumpy I should say. He is being food aggressive at breakfast and supper time which he has never done before - even though he and Spring have a bowl each. It's getting a bit fraught now at these times as Spring is starting to have a go at him in return Sad

I have to try and get their bowls at different levels in the wendy house. But then when I looked through their window after feeding the others this morning they were eating out of the same bowl Rolling Eyes

Will try and get the local pound shops today to see if they have a similar brush. Thanks for the idea Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

My Willow has been a bit grumpy of late and I put it down to hormones, but maybe she is starting her moult as well.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Sixer wrote:Yes, he is grumpy - or more grumpy I should say. He is being food aggressive at breakfast and supper time which he has never done before - even though he and Spring have a bowl each. It's getting a bit fraught now at these times as Spring is starting to have a go at him in return Sad
Is it practical to scatter feed them?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 pm

It would be except their wendy house has a window from which they can see, and of course, hear the backdoor. They know as soon as I open the back door and approach the wendy house what is in the offing and have been kicking off as soon as I open their door. Saying that, Gabe was on his best behaviour this morning and there was no aggression Very Happy

I also went through our shoe cleaning box - I had to dust off the cobwebs Embarassed and found a small clothes brush like the one in Rob's picture. I had a go with it with Gabe, he actually seemed to enjoy it and sat in the sun with his eyes closed whilst I brushed him.

Chris agrees he looks a bit sleeker, so touchwood, we are over the worst as far as moulting goes.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Great to hear Gabe was in a better mood today!

I have trouble feeding mine as Tigger always has eaten faster than Jeeves and will steal his food when she is done. I now sit there and keep an eye and then turf her away when she is done with her half. I did give the separate bowls at one point but they refused to eat separately even if I put the bowls together. They now have a cat bowl with two compartments so they're happy Rolling Eyes
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down