Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best place to go for hutches?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best place to go for hutches? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best place to go for hutches?

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 am

I agree with Katie. You are unlikely to see Ruby feeding the kits as rabbits only usually feed their young once or twice a day and that will be when no one is looking. Any interference is more likely to make Ruby reject the kits so I would really just let her get on with it.

Looking back at your previous post about the destination of any kits, you said that you had 2 family members wanting one kit each - do they have rabbits already? It is really important that where possible rabbits live in pairs as they do get lonely on their own. I would encourage you to tell those family members that they have to have a pair or none. And there is less likelihood of siblings fighting even if they are the same sex so you could probably get away with them having a same sex pair. It is only when a member of the opposite sex is in the vicinity that the boys will start fighting.

It's just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Best place to go for hutches? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best place to go for hutches?

Post by Sparky Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:28 pm

I wouldn't interfere with the kits' feeding either. Heartbreaking as it would be to lose any, normally when you do lose any that young it is because there is something not quite right with them anyway and they would not be destined to be healthy adult buns. Rabbit kits are notoriously difficult to hand-rear and you're likely to do more harm than good.

Mum knows best, just make sure she has somewhere warm and dry to keep them Thumbs Up and that she has plenty of food (I assume you have increased her pellet ration while she is nursing?)

I *would* check the nest once a day, just to make sure they are all alive. When we had kits I used to let Mummy bun out to roam around, and have a quick look at the kits while she was away. I only pulled back the fur lining for a moment and checked they were all warm and wriggling then covered them up again, I didn't actually handle them at that age. Their Mum never minded, although she would go and check on the nest once I was finished, and I never did it when she was right there.

Good point from Cheryl on the kits going to their new homes in pairs. You could also give their potential new parents info about looking after them well - neutering, vaccinations, diet, housing etc.

There is loads of good information on The RWAF website Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2