Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode

+6
Tuckerbunnies
c.bolduan
FluffSlave
Thumper2001
KatieB
Dotdot
10 posters

Go down

[UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode  Empty [UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode

Post by Dotdot Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi all!

Once again another drop in, I find it so hard to find the time to update you all working so much Sad and I feel awful about it.

1. Anyway, Jeeves has a dental tomorrow. He's recovered really well from his e.cunicculi episode (although we don't know exactly what the problem was as there were a multitude of possibilities and theories). The meds worked well and we have managed to build his weight up with recovery food. He is now at a good weight and the vet feels confident in giving him a dental now as he has some spurs. We had stopped the recovery food 2 weeks ago but he hadn't continued to put on more weight as steadily as he had been so it is likely that his teeth are bothering him. Also, if we don't do it now he could go downhill and then he wouldn't be a good enough weight to go ahead with it in the future. Any vibes would be amazing!

2. I've just got home from work and mum told me that this morning when she was feeding the duo their pellets Tigger had a 'funny turn'. She was hand-feeding them as normal (the way we have to feed now since Tigger's last choking episode) and she noticed she didn't come running back begging for more as she normally does. Instead she had run into the hutch and to the toilet and hunched over. Mum then noticed that she had started dribbling so she went to get her out but she ran under the platform and collapsed. Mum quickly grabbed her and Jeeves put them in the carrier and rushed them to the vets where the vet was waiting wit the resuscitation machine. Luckily she had perked up when they got there (I wonder if mum grabbing her had dislodged the pellet) but the vet gave her a thorough examination (especially her mouth) along with some metacam and gut stimulant. She's home and feeling quite sorry for herself but is eating and drinking.

As for feeding, now what?! She's such a greedy guts the reason we now hand feed is because she's choked before (but not this bad).

It's all go here.

Last edited by Dotdot on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

[UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode  Empty Re: [UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi hunni

Lovely to hear from you xxxx

Goodness me.. I don't know what to suggest re tigger at all? Perhaps softening the nuggies in a little water first??

Wishing Jeeves loads of vibes for tomorrow bless him.

Please let us know how he gets on Hun xx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

[UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode  Empty Re: [UD]Jeeves dental // Tigger choking episode

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 pm

How freaky that you have posted today! I was just wondering yesterday how Jeeves was getting on!

Choking on nuggies is something that scares me because I've seen on the Internet about it happening. I have no advice, unfortunately. My first thought would have been to slow down the feeding somehow but if you're already hand feeding the speed she's eating can't be the reason for it happening Hmmm However, I did stumble on this the other day, should it ever happen again.
http://asereht.net/tmb/BunnyHeimlich.htm
I haven't even had a chance to read it myself yet, I hope it's not bad advice Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

And will be thinking of Jeeves tomorrow. Please let us know how he gets on.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Hello again, it's lovely to see you Wave

I'm sorry you're having troubles at your warren Sad

I don't really know what to suggest about Tigger's choking either. I am heading down the same train of thought as Katie. Perhaps soaking them would at least soften them and make them easier for her to swallow? Also, what nuggies do they have? My Willow is an absolute pig with hers and I found that after switching them to Science Selective she is less able to guzzle them down because they're longer and require more chewing. Just a thought if yours aren't already eating SS...

Also sending Jeeves lots of vibes for his dental tomorrow Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:56 pm

^ I'm glad you mentioned Science Selective. It crossed my mind but I don't have any firsthand experience so I held back Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks for your replies lovelies! Knowing vibes are there for my little man is very comforting. My little lady however has me on edge! I've fed her her herbs one at a time as I am now completely paranoid.

KatieB wrote:

Goodness me.. I don't know what to suggest re tigger  at all?  Perhaps softening the nuggies in a little water first??

I'm definitely going to give this a go. It's absolutely worth a try as it's sure to make it easier to swallow and less easy to inhale!

Thumper2001 wrote:How freaky that you have posted today! I was just wondering yesterday how Jeeves was getting on!

Choking on nuggies is something that scares me because I've seen on the Internet about it happening. I have no advice, unfortunately. My first thought would have been to slow down the feeding somehow but if you're already hand feeding the speed she's eating can't be the reason for it happening Hmmm However, I did stumble on this the other day, should it ever happen again.
http://asereht.net/tmb/BunnyHeimlich.htm
I haven't even had a chance to read it myself yet, I hope it's not bad advice Embarassed

Great timing then!!

Honestly, it scares me so much I am in absolute panic/paranoia mode. I thought the first time was bad but this was horrendous and I wasn't even there to see it! Can't imagine how my poor mum felt but she acted quickly and I'm so so thankful.

What I think she's doing is stuffing her mouth up like a hamster. She takes one, then another and another in succession far too quickly to actually have swallowed it so I think therein lies the problem. So tomorrow morning it's soft mushed pellets and further down the line it will be one, swallow, two, swallow!

Thanks for linking me to that! I've seen it on another website tonight too, I'm not sure if it's bad advice or not but I'm sure someone will know whether it's accurate or not confused

FluffSlave wrote:

I don't really know what to suggest about Tigger's choking either. I am heading down the same train of thought as Katie. Perhaps soaking them would at least soften them and make them easier for her to swallow? Also, what nuggies do they have? My Willow is an absolute pig with hers and I found that after switching them to Science Selective she is less able to guzzle them down because they're longer and require more chewing. Just a thought if yours aren't already eating SS...

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately they're already on SS and have been for years. She's obviously adept to them! Rolling Eyes
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Not sure what to suggest that isn't already mentioned. But certainly sending vibes for dental treatment tomorrow and lots of them.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:07 am

Hi nice to hear from you again Wave

I'm hearing more and more of rabbits choking on pellets and it's quite worrying Sad the problem is with them having no gag reflex if they get one stuck in their throat they can't bring it back up sadly.
You could add some boiling water to a dish of pellets and let them go cool and mushy, if you have a greedy bunny that eats quickly this is a good way to feed them as they can't eat it quickly.
You can also put some in a treats ball and make sure that an odd one comes out and again they can't gobble them up or if you are really worried with him choking before...hand feed him a few pellets.

If a rabbit is choking his gums will usually turn blue Sad

Sending lots of Vibes for Jeeves and hope his dental goes ok xxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:55 pm

You could go in the other direction and feed the oxbow pellets which are really small so less likely to get lodged if swallowed whole.

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Lots of loving vibes are on their way love, how did he get on?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi everyone!

Jeeves is absolutely fine, we've just got home and both of them are all settled in. Jeeves is a little bit dopey, but that's his character anyway! Laughing Tigger is however is giving me the silent treatment.

He went under well and woke up easily too. The vet was glad to have done it as she said his teeth were worse than what she could see on initial examination. Luckily there are no abscesses or sore bits Smile

He's had emeprid and metacam and is pooing and eating like a trooper! Ive got some metacam to give him for the next few days and the vet also wants to give him a 9 day course of panacur just to make sure that the e.cunicculi has gone as he has lost a little bit more weight since his last check up 2 weeks ago. It could be his teeth but there could still be something lingering still. He's got another check up next Friday.

Thank you all for your vibes! They really work wonders.

Oxbow may be an idea Cheryl. Or maybe just breaking up what we do have. Typical really that other buns choke on the smaller pellets but mine chokes on what is recommended to try and prevent it!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:19 am

I've heard of quite a few buns choking on SS, it's something I don't like to give mine because Domino is so greedy i think he would quite likely choke on one, they are quite large, which is a shame because they are a great food. Could you break them down a bit?

Also, just a random thought, if you gave them a forage bowl, or pile, of like herbage and pellets, maybe a handful of hay, this could slow her down because she is having to search for the food rather then gobble it all up? Bless her! little piggy Laughing

Glad they are both ok!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 pm

That is wonderful news love, what a weight off your mind. Please give them a big noserub from their auntie Jo.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 pm

I am so glad that Jeeves' dental went well, and I hope you can find a solution for your greedy little girlie! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:23 am

We had one bunny we had to slow his pellet eating.  We would broadcast the pellets access the floor so he would have to search.

That Bunny Heimlich Maneuver link shows the correct method.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:03 pm

That is a good idea Geltl love, Holly is a greedy little girl too. It alslo makes a game for them.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:12 pm

I also spread out pellets across the room for both of my two. Willow is such a greedy bun that she will sit and 'guard' a pile, and poor little Mo wasn't getting a look in.

This way it slows greedy Willow down, ensures both get their share and keeps them occupied/grazing in a natural way Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:53 pm

It never occurrs to them to think "I have had my fill, over to you" does it LOL?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Glad Jeeves dental went well xxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:02 pm

I think all the suggestions are great, I would definitely go for small pellets and spread them about for her to find.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:08 pm

I too am very glad that the dental went smoothly. We know how we feel when we have had a lot of dental work undertaken so it must be the same for little buns.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down