Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please.

+3
Jay
jan
Peanut
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please. Empty Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please.

Post by Peanut Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Iwent out to feed the buns as usual and Daphne was laid in her litter tray this morning, she didn't come and greet me as usual and everytime i moved her she would just lay down. I tried to give her some cucumber and basil (her favourites) but she didn't touch it so i knew i needed to get her to the vets.

The vets were fab the nurse was trained by frances harcourt brown and she was excellent with Daphne who they have said is in Stasis. She showed me how to syringe feed the science recovery. they checked her temperature which is slightly low so I have put a heat pad in her dog crate with her also checked her teeth which are fine.

She has also had 1 injection of baytril, 1 injection of metacam and 1 injection of metoclopramide. I asked if I could have so pain relief to take away and they said she shouldn't need it! I've been given fibreplex to give her 2.5mls 3 times a day.

Now since we've been home Daphne has now eaten a piece of cucumber and basil and is nibbling on some hay so do I still need to syringe feed her if she is eating on her own and do I still need to syringe the fibre plex? She has just started sneezing too is this something i should be worried about?

Thanks for your help Very Happy

Tamsin x

Last edited by Peanut on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please. Empty Re: Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please.

Post by jan Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:13 pm

sorry to hear about daphne sending eating ((vibes))
I'm sure someone will be around to offer advice very soon.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please. Empty Re: Had to take Daphne to vets U/D need more advice please.

Post by Peanut Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Thankyou , i've just tried givig her some fibreplex but just couldn't manage to do it , I live on my own so haven't got anyone to help me most of it went down her front , i've left it there hoping she'll groom herself and at least lick some of it off!
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Tamsin, I'm Sorry to hear Daphne isn't well Sad
This is only how I would do things, others may have more relevant responses Smile
My Bertie has stasis like symptoms every few days at the mo, and I stop syringe feeding him as soon as he starts eating properly. It's quite stressful to be syringe fed, so I figure that if he seems hungry, and is wholfing food down, there's no need to syringe, but I give him more food, especially if he's missed breakfast.

If Daphne is just nibbling, I'd continue to syringe feed. Food going in can help to stimulate poo leaving, and it's important to keep her hydrated as well, syringing cooled boiled water will help her if she's off water as well.

If she's enjoying her food, give her more. Mint, Plaintain leaves, bramble leaves, are all good digetive aids. Did the vet give you any pro-biotics like Bio-Lapis? I would get some if you don't have them already, as maintaining healthy gut flora is good for recovery.

I don't know anythinkg about Fibreplex, sorry.

Cuddles to Daphne, I hope she feels better soon Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Jay

Thanks for this, i'm sat here in tears as i've got a chest infection and tonsilitis and feel terrible myself and all this with poor Daphne is really getting to me.

I've just looked at the fibreplex and it say's it is a prebiotic and probiotic supplement i tried syringe feeding it into her about an hour ago by wrapping her in a towel and i just cpuldn't get anything in to her whenever i thought i'd got it into her mouth and started syringing shefought with me and it all came back out, and as I live on my own i've got no one to help.

She has eaten alot of basil some bits of hay some pear and cucumber so i'm really not sure wether or not to try syringe feeding her the SS recovery as I don't know if it will stress her or me out even more.

I so don't know what to do.
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Big hugs. I hope we can help you Hugs
You can just sprinkle dry Recovery on her food, if she's eating. I know you've been shown how, but I put the sryinge in at the side of the mouth, eventually she will open it and let the syringe in.

Do you have the syringe that comes with Metacam? It's not got the pointed end of standard syringes, and it flows through a bit easier. Bertie will only let me use that one.

Wrap her firmly but not too tightly with her head popping out. Put the edge of the towel under her chin, and gently hole her skull just below the ears with your 2nd and 4th fingers. Using these means you can't apply pressure, it's just to support her. Once you have the syringe in the side, she'll open a bit and then press the food in.

I really struggle with Recovery, I've started putting a few pellets in a small bowl, boiling water, mash them up, put them through a sieve, and when cooled, syringe that. It syringes easier, and he prefers it. I sprinkle Recovery on his food when he starts eating.

Really encourage her to eat Hay, and veg, Dried food absorbs moisture, so it may not be the best thing to give her at the mo. Do you have any veges that she likes? I sometimes find holding a chew stick and letting him have a chew stimulates his need to eat, but these are only my little ways of doing things. It is important she is hydrated and fed.

If she appears hunched up, her teeth are grinding and her ears pressed back, that is a a strong indication that she's in pain, and may need a drop or two of Metacam.

I'm sorry you're going through this when you feel so lousy, it's really stressful when they get sick, I hope you both feel better soon.

Last edited by Jay on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Tamsin Wave

Really sorry to hear of the problems you're having, both with Daphne and with feeling so lousy yourself at the moment.

Jay has given good advice and I'd second what he has said. Incidentally, Fibreplex and Bio-Lapis do the same kind of job I think - they're both pre- and pro-biotics. I once tried giving Rosie Fibreplex and she hated it, so I know exactly what you mean - it ended up all over her and I ended up in tears I think! I would be hopeless at doing any syringing by myself; luckily there are two of us and it's hard work. So I feel for you.

Bio Lapis is easier as you just put it in your bun's water - Rosie drinks it no problem. Might be worth asking your vet they could give you some and explain about the Fibreplex. I've always found the out-of-hours vet very willing to give advice over the phone if I'm stressed and unsure about anything, so they may be able to reassure you if you want to put your mind at rest about anything.

It's good that Daphne is eating something - maybe as Jay says try some mashed up pellets and try wrapping her in a towel. Hydration is important, as Jay said too.

I'm sure she will be fine - as I say, it is a good sign that she is eating something. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon too! x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi thanks again for replying , i've decided to bring peanut into see if he can encourage her to eat, they're not bonded but live side by side , so i thought not having him there might stress her more. i've mashed up some pellets with some boiling water but she hasn't touched them , i've also put the ss recovery in a bowl and she eating its of that so i am going to leave that there she's also got a plateful of her fav veg which she's eating small bits of and she nibbling on bits of hay too. i'm going to try Jay' technique now to see if i can get the fibre plex into her. i'll keep you updated think it's going to be a long night!

Tamsin x
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:50 pm

It all sounds encouraging Tamsin, she's obviously got some gut movement to be eating. If she really doesn't want the fibreplex, it may be something to try gain tomorrow. The hay and veg will be good for her.

I sprinkle Bio-Lapis on his food as well, I don't know if you can do this with Fibreplex, anyone know?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:06 pm

I can't get the fibreplex into her , i've put some on a basil leaf but so far she's not touched it but i will leave it in with her , I'm not going to stress me or her anymore tonight . Thank you so much for your help Jay , i don't know where i'd be today without HH.
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Jay wrote:I sprinkle Bio-Lapis on his food as well, I don't know if you can do this with Fibreplex, anyone know?
Don't think so - from what I remember Fibreplex is a sort of oily paste. I tried it on bits of veg for Rosie too, but she wouldn't have any of it Rolling Eyes

I think you're right not to stress her any more tonight Tamsin. It's good that she is eating bits and pieces. Maybe try to get hold of some Bio Lapis instead of the Fibreplex.

Fingers crossed she'll be much better tomorrow. Smile
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Tamsin, I cannot add anything to the excellent advice you have already been given. Sorry to hear you and Daphne are unwell. Would just like to send you hugs Hugs Hugs and quick recovery VIBES. Hope you are both feeling much better soon.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:20 am

Wave Any news on Daphne this morning ?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 am

How is she today?

Personally I won't syringe feed if the rabbit is eating itself because it is believed that the actual act of eating voluntarily can help encourage the stomach to empty and thus the passing of stools further on. The most important thing is to ensure the rabbit is still drinking and to consider syringing cooled coiled water if not, this prevents a solid blockage forming in the stomach from static ingesta drying out in the guts.

Fiberplex is a paste, it's carrot flavoured and dispensed much like Panacur is and contains fiber and probiotics. It's supposed to be given 3 times a day for 3 days and many rabbits like the taste and will take it straight from the tube. Others often eat it wrapped in a spring green or other favourite green veg.

HTH
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:24 am

Hi everyone she seems much better this morning , she's been binkying around my front room for the last hour and has eaten some of her pellets and hay, there's lots of poos in her litter tray too so it's all looking good Very Happy Do you think I should still try and get some Bio lapsis today ? i've got to take her back to the vets tomorrow for a check up so was thinking I could maybe wait until then and see what they say but if you think i should get some today I will. I've now put both her and peanut back outside as when they were in here I could only let one out at a time whereas outside they've got loads of space I keep checking on her and she's currently sat nibbling her hay.

I just wish I could get over my tonsilitis and chest infection as quickly I feel even worse today Sad
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 am

Do you have a P@H near you? They sell Pro-plus and Pro-C which is exactly the same as Bio-Lapis for about £5 a pot. Personally, I would still use it to help rebalance her gut bacteria and minimise the risk of her going back into stasis or developing another gatric complaint in the next few days.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:28 am

Sooz wrote:Do you have a P@H near you? They sell Pro-plus and Pro-C which is exactly the same as Bio-Lapis for about £5 a pot. Personally, I would still use it to help rebalance her gut bacteria and minimise the risk of her going back into stasis or developing another gatric complaint in the next few days.

Hi yep we do have a PAH I will nip out now and get some , what do I do with it put it in her water or over her food?
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:29 am

You can do either or both. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:31 am

ok dokey , i'm off now to get some thanks so much for your help Very Happy
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:34 am

Your welcome Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm so glad she's better so soon, well done! and I hope you feel better soon too Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Wave i've got the Pro-C i've put a spoonful over her pellets and also a spoonful in her water is this ok? Also it doesn't say on the tub how pften I should give it , is it just once a day?

Thanks Tamsinx
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:47 pm

That's fine, there is no real doseage for it...I usually just put a couple of spoonfuls in the water bottle and top up as they finish it. I would give it to her for about a week.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:28 pm

ok , well i bought some dried dandelions and the herbal mix too and she's tucked into it all so i definetly think she's on the mend. What a worry it's the first time since i've had them that either have had any illness all i can say is thank goodness for rabbit forums as that is where I learnt what I should be looking for and knew to get her to a vet immediately. Very Happy
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:02 pm

So glad Daphne is feeling better. Very Happy Well done for doing all you did for her - it's very stressful when they are unwell!

Hope you feel better soon too. Smile
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next