Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on Peggy and Sue

+7
bunnymadhouse
Rice
NickieM
ElleyMay
KatieB
Snowy
Rhianna
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Update on Peggy and Sue Empty Update on Peggy and Sue

Post by Rhianna Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 am

Hopefully, the Patron Saint of Bunnies and long journeys permitting, I am going to rehome two more buns Happy Dance

I fell in love with Peggy and Sue from BARC some time ago but had to be sensible as money was tight looking after the five buns and eight cats. I promised their photo that if I was successful in finding a third job and increasing my income I would give them a home. As some of you know I was actually offered two jobs, accepted one AND have had a pay rise from job number two. I've also had three appointments with my bank who seem to think my finances aren't that bad and are happy to continue with a large overdraft facility for emergencies (which usually involve a fur child or two).

I can't take them until after my next payday but Angie has agreed to reserve them until May. We just have to work out the very long journey now. I am busy searching for a decent hutch for them as they will be outdoor buns bonded (hopefully) with my other three. If it doesn't work out I am prepared to keep them separately but I used to have a six outside so I think it will be OK. My outdoor three are very laid back. I will certainly do my best with the bonding as I love to see big groups of buns playing and snuggling together.

So - watch this space for more news!!

I am very excited and hope the journey all works out.

Happy Dance Happy Dance

Last edited by Rhianna on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Update on Peggy and Sue Empty Re: Update on Peggy and Sue

Post by Snowy Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 am

That is fantastic news, well done for helping with rescue bunnies, what part of the country are you in?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 am

I'm down South in Havant near Portsmouth - so it is a Very Long Journey for the buns.

I used to have six buns (started with one when I volunteered at a rescue and ended up with the six after just a year!) so this will only be one more.
I am going to try growing some carrots for them as they love the tops and I have persuaded two friends to do the same. Anything that will help with the food bill is good.

I have George and Gemma insured and will add the new two as well just in case. None of my other pets are insured but with so many I think it is sensible now.

I am very excited and pleased that I can share my good news about my new job (which is challenging but I love) by helping a couple of rescue buns have a good home.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

Rhianna wrote:I'm down South in Havant near Portsmouth - so it is a Very Long Journey for the buns.

I used to have six buns (started with one when I volunteered at a rescue and ended up with the six after just a year!) so this will only be one more.
I am going to try growing some carrots for them as they love the tops and I have persuaded two friends to do the same. Anything that will help with the food bill is good.

I have George and Gemma insured and will add the new two as well just in case. None of my other pets are insured but with so many I think it is sensible now.

I am very excited and pleased that I can share my good news about my new job (which is challenging but I love) by helping a couple of rescue buns have a good home.

That is brilliant and yes it is a long journey but well worth it, I go up and down to Bolton sometimes and I am going up soon, I know Angie (Barc) can get to Bolton so I could bring them as far as Warwickshire for you, if it would help that is Embarassed Embarassed
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 am

FABTASTIC NEWS!!

Thats brilliant hun! Well done you!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Haven't got a clue where Warwickshire is but if it is nearer than BARC then that would be good.

It won't be until May as I have to buy a hutch and get the money for the adoption fee and their jabs.

Thank you so much for offering to help. I really appreciate it.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 pm

cheers Congrats!!!! Excited to hear about them!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 pm

If all goes to plan Peggy and Sue will be joining my fur family on Monday!
Happy Dance

I bought a great hutch from Kate from another forum and Kirsty (also from another forum) is going to collect Peggy and Sue from BARC and bring them most of the way to me. I just have an hour's journey to do on Monday afternoon.

I was putting newspaper and bedding in Peggy and Sue's hutch today and making it look nice and cosy for them.

I am Very Excited Happy Dance

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat May 08, 2010 2:10 pm

That is lovely news, looking forward to photos. Have to get Katie over to take some pics to upload.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Sat May 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Congratulations, that is great news! Very Happy
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Peggy and Sue are packing ...

forgot to say that they are used to carpet in their hutch .. Wink ...

i am so pleased they have a new home at last but i just know im going to cry buckets when they go tomorrow .. they have been here sooooooooo long Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun May 09, 2010 12:12 am

I don't have carpet in my house Hmmm With eight cats who are allowed outside, it would soon be very dirty.

Will have to try and get some carpet tiles or an offcut from somewhere. You did mention it ages ago but I had forgotten. I have some rugs I don't use so maybe I could cut up one of those? I'd hate them to feel they have come down in the world when they move here.

It is a very long journey for two little buns. I hope they travel OK. I can imagine how sad you will feel, Angie, but you will have regular updates. George is always asking me to say 'hello' to you.

I feel mean making you cry but I will do my very best to make them happy buns. I don't think they will like me much to start with as I am going to have their myxi jabs done very quickly, given the time of year and the fact that flies are starting to appear now. I like to get any new fur babies registered at my vet asap anyway just in case.

I just hope bonding goes well - but I won't start until they have got over their jabs, got used to me and really settled in.

Will make sure I have plenty of carrots for them - it was the photo of them eating carrots that really melted my heart.

I'm just so grateful Kirsty is happy to do so much driving.

See you soon, Peggy and Sue xxxxxxx

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun May 09, 2010 10:44 am

cheers Great news Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun May 09, 2010 3:34 pm

That is fabulous news. I am sure they will be very happy, with or without carpet to begin with.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Oh how totally exciting!!!! OMG! I cant wait to see them!!!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon May 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Well, Peggy and Sue are now with me Happy Dance

I met Kirsty at a service station and got my first look at my new fur babies. Had to pick them up for a cuddle. Both were fine with it and Sue was really curious and kept staring at me. Got some chips in McDonalds and ate them in the car on the way home. Was going to sit in the cafe and have a coffee but didn't like to leave Peggy and Sue on their own.

I have put the buns in a run in the front garden so they can stretch their paws while I sort out their hutch. Angie kindly sent their carpet and toys with them so I need to reorganise their home a bit.

Peggy went straight under the wooden tunnel to hide but Sue bounced around the run and then tucked into the grass. Mittens (cat) went to see who had arrived but Sue didn't seem bothered.

They are beautiful girls. I was going to change their names as I don't like the Peggy Sue song but I'm not sure now as their names do suit them. What do you all think? I renamed George.

Will put them both in their hutch and tuck them in before I go to work this evening. I so hope they will be happy.

You are welcome to come and visit when you have time, Katie. George and Gemma will be pleased to see you too - and George says he will try really hard not to eat your clothes Laughing

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm glad they have settled happily xx
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Neither Peggy nor Sue wanted to be picked up from the run and I got scratched. It may be because I had been cuddling next door's puppy and smelled of dog - but as a community worker I often smell of all sorts of pets, so hopefully they will adjust.

I put them in their hutch with their tea and went to feed my other buns. When I came back both Peggy and Sue were tucking into pellets, greens and a carrot.

I checked them when I got home from work and the dish was empty. It's a relief as I was worried they may stop eating after the stressful days they have had. They have plenty of meadow hay and some special hay with herbs in so I am sure they will be OK until breakfast. They are both a good size - not too plump and not too thin, so I want to make sure I don't over-feed them. George has got bigger since I rehomed him but all over, not just tummywise and the vet said he isn't overweight so I guess he still had some growing to do.

I need to book Peggy and Sue in for their myxi jab but think I will leave it until next week - they have had enough drama for one week. Three of my other buns are due too so I am hoping the vet will give a discount. Will have to practice my pleading look Wink

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 am

Peggy and Sue seem to be settling in well. I have decided to leave their names as they suit them so well.

Sue seems more confident than Peggy. When I went to give them their breakfast yesterday I went to stroke Peggy who went really flat as if to try and hide and scurried into the bedroom part of the hutch. I stroked Sue while she was eating and chatted quietly to her. Within a few seconds a black and white face appeared at the bowl as if to say 'me too, me too' - Peggy had got over her fear.

This morning both came to the edge of the hutch to see me (the breakfast bowl I was holding probably had something to do with it!) Peggy seems to be OK being stroked and then suddenly appears to think she needs to be scared and tries to hide - it's odd.

I have divided the fenced off part of my yard into two and Peggy and Sue's hutch is in their half so they can run around but neither have done yet. I put them out yesterday and they both jumped back in the hutch. My other three buns have their hutch in their half of the run and they have been coming up to the wire divide looking at the new arrivals with interest. They will eventually be bonded (hopefully) but I will give Peggy and Sue time to get used to me first.

I have put a step up to the hutch so Peggy and Sue have less distance to jump out but they are still choosing not to. I don't like buns being in hutches all day but I guess it is their choice. When I am home for a few hours I will put them in the front garden on the grass.

They really are adorable bunnies. I haven't tried to comb Peggy's mane yet but know I will have to. I just worry about freaking her out. I am stroking her around her mane so she gets used to me touching her there and she seems OK with it for a short while.

They are both eating well, which is a relief.

Hopefully, Auntie Katie will come and visit soon and you can all have some photos.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Sun May 30, 2010 10:27 pm

how are they doing now ? Wave Wave

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon May 31, 2010 12:13 am

Keep meaning to write an update but am finding working three jobs and seeing private clients as well is proving very hectic.

Peggy and Sue are adorable - I can't understand why they stayed at rescue for so long. Neither likes being picked up, although I am a nasty, cruel bunny Mummy and insist on doing it for bum checks. I take the door of the hutch off each morning but they rarely come out into the run. I added a step because I thought it may be too high but if I put them out they jump back easily enough without using the step. Occasionally I do find them out and rubbing noses with my other buns through the wire.

When I am home I put them in a run in the front garden which is grassed and they seem to enjoy that and are not phased by the cats at all.

I am going to take them for their myxi jabs this week with my other outdoor three. Can you just remind me of their background, Angie please? My vet takes a real interest in rescue buns and I know how attentively he listened to George's story. I am hoping for some discount so want the buns to become real personalities to him. Very Happy

Initially, I thought Sue was the braver of the two but Peggy seems keener on coming out and is very curious about Molly (one of my other outdoor buns). Once they have had all their jabs I will try and arrange some time to bond them all.

They like their noms but don't seem to eat many pellets. They had some parsley this evening as a treat and they also get spring greens daily and a carrot every other day. Sometimes they have broccoli and pear too and whatever veg is on offer at the supermarket. They enjoy their hay so I am not worried they are leaving some pellets. I will just reduce the amount I give them. I put a nibble stick (one of the healthier ones) in their hutch last night and there was a bare stalk there this morning.

I wish they would come out of the hutch more but don't like to force it. I have a terracotta pot in the run with earth and it is full of bunny droppings so they must come out at some point - maybe I just don't see them.

I think they are getting to know me slowly - but am having to be patient with them. They get a stroke and a kiss when I pick them up and do seem to settle but I don't want to push it.

They send Auntie Angie lots of love and nose rubs. I'll try and get a photo of them tomorrow on my mobile and send it to you.

They are very lovely, pretty buns - and adore each other. I wish they adored me as much - but hopefully, it will come. I seem more popular at nom time Very Happy

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon May 31, 2010 11:00 am

So glad to hear they are so happy¬
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Mon May 31, 2010 4:28 pm

awww im so glad you seem to love them as much as i do Very Happy ...that makes me realy happy ..

im sure they are out of that hutch in a shot when you arnt there to see Wink ..they just like to keep you guessing Laughing

here is their story ..

they were bought for children who soon lost interest ..hutch too small ..no run
a neighbour who was a volunteer for our rescue managed to get them a second hand hutch with run attached ..still too small but bigger than the old one.
mum looked after them as the children had moved on to "new" toys..feeding cleaning etc but didnt ever let them out or interact with them much.
Then mum left ...leaving dad to look after them . Dad working full time and not an animal person hadnt got a clue and had little time for them ..
same person who got hutch cleaned them out and made sure they had water and a bit of veg. She alerted us and got him to agree to hand them to us.

when they arrived they were terrified..especialy Peggy . she cried when i touched her .
I loved them from day one and vowed to win their trust .

they were with me 8 months...and it worked ..they turned into two wonderful bunnies with lovely personalities .. Very Happy
sadly they were overlooked...possibly due to not being youngsters.....until you offered them a home
THANK YOU Thumbs Up

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon May 31, 2010 7:38 pm

It makes it so worthwhile to take on a bun with a history like theirs. Much more satisfying than a baby from P@H (although they are soooo adoreable).

I don't know the story about mine. I think Wolfie was born into a rescue but know nothing about Gloria other than she was abandoned with another rabbit which she started fighting with.

I know they will have the most fabulous future and hope the bonding to the rest of the group goes well.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:46 am

Thought it was time for an update on Peggy and Sue.

Sadly, Sue has been poorly and after investigation it was discovered she has calcification of the kidneys and only has half a kidney working. Peggy has dental problems too and the vet thinks both conditions are due to them having a bad diet when they were baby buns Crying or Very sad

Sue has lost a lot of weight. She is now on a low calcium/high moisture diet. When I last took her to the vet she had put on some weight but I think she has lost that again. She does nom - a lot - and loves dandelion leaves so is getting lots of moisture. She did eat dried cranberries but no longer likes them Sad

I never did bond them with my other three and won't now as it would be too stressful for Sue. Her quality of life is still good - she eats, drinks, snuggles with Peggy and jumps out of the hutch into the back yard for an explore. Sue and Peggy are devoted and I know Peggy will be distraught (as will I) when Sue has to go to the Bridge.

I have rehomed another rescue bun - Furby - and am hoping that when the sad day does come I will be able to bond him with Peggy. I don't want her to be alone for long as I do think she will pine. I am hoping Sue may be able to have a good quality of life for sometime though - and then Furby can be bonded with my other three buns. There will always be a bun out there for me to rehome for Peggy I am sure Wink

Peggy and Sue are OK being stroked but don't like being picked up, although have to tolerate it for bottom checks. Peggy is long haired so gets a dirty bottom sometimes and has had to suffer the indignity of having a bottom bath in my bathroom sink. She actually responded much better than I thought she would.

I think they are both happy - just feel very sad that Sue is so poorly and wish I could make her better and it hurts that I can't.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next