Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!!

+14
NSD
Catsknickers
Dawnbunny
SarahJane
woodwench
Tuckerbunnies
Yodaphine
Jay
Ruffin
marleyNfriends
Thumper2001
KatieB
NickieM
Big Ears
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!! Empty Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!!

Post by Big Ears Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:38 pm

As some of you may know Artie has problems with bladder sludge and had a cystotomy to surgically remove the calcium from his bladder in April 2009. He's been doing really well since under the care of Frances Harcourt-Brown. He has his bladder expressed every six weeks and is on Metacam and Frusemide to reduce the chance of further infections and to try and wash out the cement that builds up.

I rushed Artie to FHB yesterday as he was showing signs of abdominal pain and not eating. X-rays have shown he has a kidney stone between the kidney and the bladder in the tube and if it doesn't move on its own, it will need surgically removing. I'm praying that it moves of its own accord. If not the options are to do surgery on the tube or remove the affected kidney - we'd first need to be confident that the other kidney could function well enough on its own, there is a likelihood that if one kidney has stones then the other will (usually the case in rabbits). He's having blood tests to check the feasibility of Plan B, if we need one. He's being re x-rayed and monitored, being syringe fed etc, the next 48 hours are so are critical.

Artie has been with me since 11 weeks old and is now nearly seven, he is my soulmate, he always knows when I need a cuddle. If I'm frantically busy Artie makes me stop to cuddle him, just to get me to slow down my pace a bit and relax.

If you can spare any vibes we'd be so grateful.
If you have any happy endings stories with this experience we'd also be grateful.

Last edited by Big Ears on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 8 times in total

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!! Empty Re: Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!!

Post by NickieM Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:48 pm

What a dilemma for you. Sending lots of vibes to Artie. I hope that whatever decision you reach, he comes through the procedure well and makes a quick recovery. Keep us updated. Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!! Empty Re: Artie - kidney stones - kidney removal - Home!!

Post by KatieB Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Sending loads and loads and loads of vibes for Artie, I really hope that the stone shifts by itself.

will be thinking of you both, please keep us updated as to how he gets on x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Thank you both.

NickieM wrote:What a dilemma for you. Sending lots of vibes to Artie. I hope that whatever decision you reach, he comes through the procedure well and makes a quick recovery. Keep us updated. Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

Sorry, I worded it badly, I doubt it will be me making the decisions. I will just go on the advice of FHB as I trust her judgement 100%. I know she will do absolutely everything possible for Artie. Thankfully that's one less thing to stress about. I think it will be a case of taking each option on it's merits when all the evidence has been gathered. She's also very well aware of how precious he is to me.

Katieb wrote:Sending loads and loads and loads of vibes for Artie, I really hope that the stone shifts by itself.

will be thinking of you both, please keep us updated as to how he gets on x

Thanks, I will update when I know anything.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Wishing Artie well!

What a worrying time for you, fingers crossed that it moves hy itself.

please do keep us posted.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Sending lots of vibes to artie.

Hopefully it moves of its own accord and hes not in too much pain xxx
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 am

[b]Vibes for Artie come on little man get rid of them stones then you can get back to loads of cuddles
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks so much everybody.

I've just had my message for today that there is no change. Just another 24 hours of wait and see Crying or Very sad Frances will examine him tomorrow and I guess make decisions then.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:50 am

[b]Realy hope he is OK Ruffin had a sludged bladder a couple of months ago its so stressfull when they are ill
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:16 am

I'm so sorry to hear Artie's having such a tough time, lots and lots of vibes for this special guy x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Lots of vibes for little Artie, and for you too Hugs Hugs

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh I have only just seen this so sorry!

Sending mega mega Vibes for your special boy Artie xxxxx

Thinking of you Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 am

Sending all our best wishes to Artie.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:09 am

Thank you so much everyone.

I've just got another 2 hours to get through before I find out today's plan of action.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 am

Fingers crossed for you both. Keep strong. Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:25 am

Still vibing over here x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 am

Love Thank you so much.

I'm terrified of what today may bring but I just want progress, being in limbo is the most awful feeling.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 am

sending lots of vibes for the lovely artie xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks all.

SarahJane wrote:sending lots of vibes for the lovely artie xx

I couldn't help thinking of Peanut Butter going through the scenario of being backed into a corner regarding treatment. It's pretty much the same dillema.

FHB is dealing with emergencies so I need to ring back at 12.30. On a positive note nurse looking after him said he's much brighter and eaten some dandelions over night, though he is still needing syringe feeding.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 am

Sending more Vibes hun, I really hope is okay x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:05 pm

After a lenghty discussion I've agreed to surgery on the basis that Frances said "If he were my rabbit ...". That's good enough for me. There was an option to leave it but the risk of him being in acute pain out of hours is not negotiable for me.

He won't be having a kidney removed (unless there has to be a change of plan). The current plan (suggested by Nigel Harcourt-Brown) is to open up the kidney and remove the stones. Whilst the kidney is open he expects to be able to reach down the tube and pull the stone back up thus removing the immediate problem and stones that could cause future problems. It's a lot neater than cutting the tube as it's difficult to repair. The kidney can just be sewn back up, the outer pod of it - the rest just heals. They've not done it on a rabbit before and there are obvious risks. A dog they did it on a long time ago had a PM done years later to look at the kidney and it looked normal, as if it had had nothing done. It's not really more risky than his bladder surgery though he is now 2.5 years older. I'm scared but quite relieved as this plan sounds good, I thought there could be 'no plan' that was feasible so he has a chance of being well. There's still a chance I could lose him of course. Blood results aren't known yet but I'm ringing this evening to find out. They might give up more scope but this plan definitely sounds the best. It will be NHB doing the surgery on Tues/Weds.

He's also had an EC test to see if it's EC that's damaged his kidneys in the first instance.

The other aspect of course is that it's better to do this whilst he's well in himself and bright rather than waiting for him to be ill because of it.

Vibes very much appreciated.

Last edited by Big Ears on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Just reading up on everything... poor artie....

wishing and praying for his speedy recovery ...

Ive only got one kidney , had the other removed years ago .. the one left works ok ...

Get well Artie ... hang on in there mummy ...ae are all thinking of you.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:10 pm

[b]Loads of good vibes for Artie all thinking about you
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Love Thank you so much guys.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Rooting for you Artie, boy!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next