Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday)

5 posters

Go down

Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday) Empty Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday)

Post by Big Ears Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:49 pm

As some of you know (thank you for your vibes and good wishes on the "How was your weekend?' thread), I had to rush Artie to the vets on Sunday late afternoon as he wasn't eating and appeared to be in pain.

He had had a cystotomy (bladder opened up to scoop out calcium) at Easter at FHB's surgery and had, seemingly been doing well. He'd been quite prone to phases of not eating but it hadn't seemed to be bladder related, so it came as quite a shock on Monday to be told it was his bladder again Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Anyhow he's been under the care of his 'Auntie Frances' and team for the past 4 days and had his bladder expressed on Tuesday, then again on Wednesday under sedation.

I'm collecting him by appointment and will review the xrays and FHB will talk strategy. I'm really anxious regarding his prognosis (anxious is my speciality though!).

So I'm relieved to say that they deem him well enough to come home, though he hasn't eaten particularly well overnight. Hopefully he will be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for the vibes everybody, they are very much appreciated - Artie is the softest, cuddliest bunny imaginable and I hate being parted from him, it tears me apart knowing that he has this to deal with, but I know there's a lot worse going and he's got most probably the best rabbit vet there is caring for him so I'll try to forget the doom and gloom and just look forward to the cuddles - and make the most of them Love Love

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday) Empty Re: Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday)

Post by racheld69 Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:18 pm

glad he is coming home and fingers crossed.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday) Empty Re: Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday)

Post by Big Ears Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Love Thank you.

It turns out that his long-term prognosis is similar to that he was given in April (I've been building it up out of proportion, I think), though he will need his bladder expressing every few months which is not what we were expecting in April but his condition can be managed conservatively, which I'm pleased about.

FHB thinks he's building up the sludge because his bladder is build differently to how it should be and therefore not emptying out fully as it should. She said she could open him up to find out but doesn't know what she would do with what she found so doesn't see the point. She also doesn't feel giving him another cystostomy is in his best interests at the moment.

He will be prone to bladder infections because of the 'concrete' in there there shouldn't be but I just need keep an eye on him and take him back if he's unwell. Otherwise he's having another xray 2 December to find out how he's doing. His frequent bouts of stasis are probably also related to what's going on with his bladder.

He seems quite happy, he's been nibbling some hay - I'm off to see if he wants a cuddle yet Love (He'd better I've just spent another £260 on him).

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:00 pm

oh good. forgot to say - your avatar piccy is so cute.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:00 pm

Am so glad to hear that Artie is back home with you. I am sure he is worth £260 Smile

I would imagine you been given a list of good and bad foodstuffs for him? My Rabbit Nutrition book suggests limiting high calcium and phosphorus foods but doesn't list a lot of the veg ours get, such as spring greens and savoy cabbage. If you have the info it would be useful to see Thumbs Up
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:06 pm

racheld69 wrote:oh good. forgot to say - your avatar piccy is so cute.

Thank you. That picture is of the adorable Scratty, sadly she is no longer with me but the picture brings back happy memories Love Love

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Sixer wrote:I would imagine you been given a list of good and bad foodstuffs for him? My Rabbit Nutrition book suggests limiting high calcium and phosphorus foods but doesn't list a lot of the veg ours get, such as spring greens and savoy cabbage. If you have the info it would be useful to see Thumbs Up

I have. I was given the list at Easter, when he had his op, sadly despite sticking to it quite strictly the problem is still quite bad for him, though I'm sure it would be worse if I didn't try.

The list I was given reads:

FEEDING RABBITS WITH URINARY TRACT PROBLEMS

Rabbits with urinary tract problems such as kidney stones, bladder stones and 'sludgy urine' can benefit from a diet that contains sufficient, but not excessive amounts of calcium and is low in phosphorus. An increase in water intake and urine flow is beneficial to dilute excreted calcium in the kidneys and bladder.

INCLUDE:
Fresh Grass.
This is the ideal food for rabbits, it has a high water content and has the correct amount of calcium and phosphorus.
Fresh Greens. These are mostly water and will therefore increase water intake which is beneficial. mostly, choose plants from the moderate and low calcium groups although the occasional plant from the high calcium group won't hurt.

High calcium plants: kale, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, watercress, parsley.
Moderate calcium plants: cabbage, spring cabbage, celery, lettuce, most culinary herbs and many garden weeds that rabbits enjoy such as raspberry, bramble leaves, leaves from fruit trees, ground elder, young dock leaves, groundsel, chickweed.
Low calcium foods: peas, beans, bread, banana, apples, carrots.
Wild plants such as dandelion, goosegrass, yarrow and plantain have diuretic properties ie they increase the flow of urine. Although these plants have a high calcium content they also have a high water content and are enjoyed by rabbits and are beneficial for rabbits with urinary tract problems.

Only offer SMALL amounts of a pelleted or extruded food especially if the rabbit is overweight. Dry foods have no water content.

Small quantities of fruit juice containing Vitamin C might be beneficial. Fruit juices are sweet and palatable and therefore increase water intake. Theoretically, they could also acidify the urine and decrease the amount of sediment that is formed. Cranberry juice is a traditional remedy for bladder problems but apple, pineapple or blackcurrant juice can be used instead.

AVOID:
Mixed cereal rations.
Cereals, such as sweetcorn, wheat, oats and barley have a high phosphorus content that is potentially harmful.

(Green oat hay is alright as is oat/wheat grass as it’s just the seed part that is high in phosphorus).

Alfalfa in any form.
Vitamin or mineral supplements that go in the water or on the food.

Last edited by Big Ears on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Sixer wrote:Am so glad to hear that Artie is back home with you. I am sure he is worth £260 Smile

Well worth it. I *think* he's just topped the £1K mark this year as he's been admitted with bloat/stasis episodes a few times this year as well. I've just managed to go 9 weeks without rushing him to the vets which was the longest we've managed since Easter.

He's been very cuddly since he's been home though Love Love Love

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Bless him, he is such a cutie Love

Thank you for the listings of foods, that is really useful. I will add it to my growing pile of rabbit care information Thumbs Up
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 am

I am so pleased to hear he is back home with his mummy xxx Been thinking of you both xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Glad to hear that hes back home.what a worry for you Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday) 317363
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Love Love Thank you all.

This time last week I was rushing him to the vets, it's hard to believe that was only a week ago.

When I walked into the room where he lives this aftenoon he darted at me and did about 20 laps round my feet buzzing at he went Love His 'Auntie Frances' has definitely made him feel a lot better.

He's eaten all his caecals since he's been home as well, which is something I was really worried about whilst he was at the vets as I thought there was something as well as his bladder wrong with him.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:34 pm

glad that he's doing fine Artie's coming home today (been at vets since Sunday) 317363
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down