Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myxi vaccs/warning - please read

+11
Catsknickers
Big Ears
NSD
NickieM
Josie
Tuckerbunnies
jolovesbunnies
Dotdot
Happy Hoppers
Thumper2001
Jay
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Myxi vaccs/warning - please read - Page 1 Empty Re: Myxi vaccs/warning - please read

Post by NSD Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:10 am

Hoping that all of your buns are safe. It is really scary to have a myxi outbreak - we had one last summer. I think my buns suffered - my paranoia meant they were very rarely allowed outside - but they survived.

Sending vibes to all of you and yours
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Myxi vaccs/warning - please read - Page 1 Empty Re: Myxi vaccs/warning - please read

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:13 am

I have never ever known so many bunnies with Myxi as there is at the moment it's very very worrying indeed Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 pm

My gosh, they are dropping like flies, every day I keep reading about more vacc'd buns getting it, horrible Sad

Paul said last night that we should keep the bear indoors for the next 3 weeks, I know housebuns are not immune, but I'm guessing that there's less chance of him getting it in here, but I don't know - anyone any ideas?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Jay wrote:My gosh, they are dropping like flies, every day I keep reading about more vacc'd buns getting it, horrible Sad

Paul said last night that we should keep the bear indoors for the next 3 weeks, I know housebuns are not immune, but I'm guessing that there's less chance of him getting it in here, but I don't know - anyone any ideas
?

I'm working on that theory too Jay, but don't know for sure. I have mesh over all open windows in summer to keep flies out but my vigilance has always been about flystrike - until this last couple of weeks I've never really worried greatly about myxi.... I am very worried now. I didn't even know what mosquitos looked like until I googled last week Embarassed Embarassed and now I'm really paranoid because I have a huge pond in the back garden. It's very scary so many vaccinated bunnies being affected. Artie was deemed well enough to be vaccinated thank goodness, I would have been even more worried if I had any unvaccinated bunnies to care for.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:45 pm

It's flies & fleas you need to worry about so indoors is going to be safer than out, but of course it can never be 100% because such small insects can easily sneak in without you noticing.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Does anyone know if there have been reports of vaccinated buns dying in Scotland?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:07 am

Thumper2001 wrote:Does anyone know if there have been reports of vaccinated buns dying in Scotland?
I've read of one case in Galshiels Sad
Big Ears wrote: I didn't even know what mosquitos looked like until I googled last week Embarassed Embarassed and now I'm really paranoid because I have a huge pond in the back garden. It's very scary so many vaccinated bunnies being affected. Artie was deemed well enough to be vaccinated thank goodness, I would have been even more worried if I had any unvaccinated bunnies to care for.
Yeah I can see why, but what can you do? We have a stream at the back of the flats that brimming with life at the mo, it is a worry.

I was speaking to Anne last night about it, and she said that there has been a huge influx of insects comeing up from the continent with the hot weather a couple of weeks ago. She thinks it possible that some of them have brought a new variant strain with them, just a theory, but one that makes sense.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 am

It is terifying and so scary that vaccinated buns are atill contracting the full blown disease. And to think it is man made.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:56 am

God this is terrifying. I will be keeping the little guy inside and checking for lumps and bumps. So awful.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Jay wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:Does anyone know if there have been reports of vaccinated buns dying in Scotland?
I've read of one case in Galshiels Sad
Thanks for info Jay.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:56 am

This is really scary.

Re: indoor buns being safer, we are told that having indoor buns and keeping the doors closed / not letting them outside is one of the best ways to avoid it.

Sometimes they can sneak through fly wire. Normal fly wire in Australia keeps out mozzies as well as flies, not sure if that is the case in the UK, but sometimes they can still get through if you're constantly opening and closing the fly wire, or if it has gaps.

I sometimes use indoor fly and mozzie zappers, they are things you can plug into the wall that send electric zaps to kill the insects. I occasionally place then well out of the bunnies' reach which I think may help kill any that get inside
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:51 am

When I was at the vet yesterday, there was a big sign up for bunny owners saying that they had seen "a number" of myxomatosis cases at their Tilehurst branch. That's the other side of Reading to me, but it really shook me up.

So anyone in Reading/Berkshire be aware.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Bumping this as it is soooo important right now!

VACCINATE PEOPLE!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Booking in tomorow, vet didnt advice me that this was important(not had any out breaks in our area is only thing i can think) but will make sure its dealt with this week.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:45 pm

dizzylynn wrote:Booking in tomorow, vet didnt advice me that this was important(not had any out breaks in our area is only thing i can think) but will make sure its dealt with this week.

Its really naughty of your vets really as you are such a fab bunny mum, its there job to let you know!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Bumpity bump! Feel the need to keep this thread visible after what I have witnessed in the last few weeks...as Katie said...VACCINATE PEOPLES! Very Happy

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next