Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too Cold?

+5
lizzi_b
Jay
dizzylynn
NickieM
marleyNfriends
9 posters

Go down

Too Cold? Empty Too Cold?

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 am

Before i even start, the O key is sticky, so i apoooologise if there are some missing. Laughing Rolling Eyes ...or added n in this case!

Anyway, hope everyone is well, and looking foooooorward to Christmas and the holidays Smile Sorry I havent been around much Sad Just about keeping my head above water for the mment!

I really want the buns to come back indrs fr winter. Various reasns really, i leave the house in the dark, and come home in the dark 7 days a week, so i hardly get to see them Sad and the only time they can free range is n holidays or when im off ill. I can care for them a lot better and they will get more attention and free range time, and if im honest things are really up and down at my end, and i could really do with having the buns around, its what got me through last time.

Only snag is mum isnt keen because they arent litter trained anymore. But litter training them in their playhouse is too difficult as i just dont have the time. Is it way too cold now to bring them in for a week and then go back out? If mum goes totally nuts, they will be back outside within 48hours, if they actually last the week, then they will stay indoors until late March. Id turn my radiator off, but im worried if they have to go back out.

Mum knows the buns are my pride and joy, but i dont think she realises quite how important they are to me. Any suggestions would be welcome. Sorry its s lng i needed to explain prperly. There are more benefits, but is it worth taking the risk and them having to go back out? xx
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Too Cold? Empty Re: Too Cold?

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 am

If it is because you are worried about the cold being bad for the bunnies, I can put your mind at rest on that front. As you can imagine, living in the far north of Scotland tends to give you a good perspective on how cold things can be! We hit -18 in 2009 and -22 in 2010. All my buns were absolutely fine.

Bunnies are pretty resilient about cold. What they can't tolerate is wet and damp. As long as your buns have loads and loads of bedding, their hutch is covered and their run has a sheltered area, your buns will be fine.

You can up their food or feed them a higher protein breeder pellet over the winter to help them keep their weight up which will help them keep warm and they have each other to huddle up to and for company.

The problem with taking them into the house at this point is that they will shed their winter coats - which might drive your mum mad - and if she does have a fit and wants them outside again, that can be really dangerous for them. This is really a decision that once made, can't be reversed until Spring. Your mum has got to appreciate this and be prepared to put up with the buns. If not, leave them outside.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:42 pm

NickieM wrote:If it is because you are worried about the cold being bad for the bunnies, I can put your mind at rest on that front. As you can imagine, living in the far north of Scotland tends to give you a good perspective on how cold things can be! We hit -18 in 2009 and -22 in 2010. All my buns were absolutely fine.

Bunnies are pretty resilient about cold. What they can't tolerate is wet and damp. As long as your buns have loads and loads of bedding, their hutch is covered and their run has a sheltered area, your buns will be fine.

You can up their food or feed them a higher protein breeder pellet over the winter to help them keep their weight up which will help them keep warm and they have each other to huddle up to and for company.

The problem with taking them into the house at this point is that they will shed their winter coats - which might drive your mum mad - and if she does have a fit and wants them outside again, that can be really dangerous for them. This is really a decision that once made, can't be reversed until Spring. Your mum has got to appreciate this and be prepared to put up with the buns. If not, leave them outside.

They live in a playhouse, and im not concerned about them being cold, im more concerned about them getting the correct care and attention at this time of year. I struggle to do much more than the bare minimum at the moment, which concerns me because of the extra care they need at this time of year. They get fed, watered, and cleaned out once a week because i have to put a days holiday in. As of January, ill be unable to put holidays in each week. Im not happy with that, because im used to sweeping them out at least once a day and spending at least a good hour with them while they free range.

marleyNfriends wrote:
I really want the buns to come back indrs fr winter. Various reasns really, i leave the house in the dark, and come home in the dark 7 days a week, so i hardly get to see them Sad and the only time they can free range is n holidays or when im off ill. I can care for them a lot better and they will get more attention and free range time, and if im honest things are really up and down at my end, and i could really do with having the buns around, its what got me through last time.

marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Only problem you have if you bring them in for some time, they will loose there winter coat so when you put them back out they will be less able to tolerate the cold, so its either till the cold spell is over or outside as they are, what about getting a playpen/dog pen, line under it with something like heavy duty plastic, have it set up like there house with there sleeping area, litter area, play area but at least the carpet wont get wasted, that way you can sit with them in the evening and watch tv etc. or play games with them but keep putting them back in every 10 mins to get them to do the loo in the litter area.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I see what you're saying Sophia, and it's tricky because of the free range time. I'd try and get a deffo yes or no from your mum before you bring them in, or not.

They will be perfectly ok out there, and TBh, buns become less active in the winter, and tend to spend more time in the burrow (hutch). That said, I can see why you'd want to bring them in.

I can't really give you any advice, cos it's down to you and your mum, but I woudl say that staying outside will probably not adversly affect them. Provided you can feed, water and clean, theyshould be fine. They'll have free range time when you are home at w'ends etc, and with the hols coming up, that'll be more time.

I doubt they'd loose their winter coat in a week - provided they aren't subject to excessive heating, but you'd know if this had happened, as they would shed.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Oh I totally understand your reasoning! Can they not live in your room, and then any mess is in your area, and your mum can't go mad!! have you properly sat and talked to your mum about all this?

how are you other than working all the time? I was thinking of you the other day as I hadn't seen a post from you in a while! I hope things at home are getting better! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Hugs I know I'd feel guilty too if I was in your situation. But even if your mum doesn't allow it, try not to feel too bad. I know that's not easy, but they have each other for company and still know you love them.

I do hope that you're able to bring them in though
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 pm

aww i hope your mum sees it as you do Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Nighthawk Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Hello!
If your mums lets you have them back in doors (which would be awesome!) the amount of time you'll spend with them will probably cut the litter training work by a mile!

Sounds like you're going through a toughy, hope things work out and if you can't keep you buns indoors, maybe just bring them in for a snuggle every now and again?

Take care Hugs
Nighthawk
Nighthawk
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

I don't get to spend a great deal of time with my buns in the winter, they are outdoor buns and are two groups of trios. In the summer it's fine as the days are longer and me and the kids are always outside so are always around them. In the winter my kids don't want to play out in the cold and rain so I only see my buns in the morning for a hay and water check, mid afternoon for a sweep around and again before tea to check water, hay and feed them. I would love to spend more time with them, but they have clean, fresh bedding and food, clean water and a quick nose rub each day and more importantly, each other so I try not to feel too bad about it, they don't seem to mind Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for your replies everyone, i can definitley see both sides and i know its not good for them to go back outside, but i just dont feel like their getting the time they deserve - even they couldnt give a hoot as long as their fed! It mainly comes down to my state of mind, which is selfish i know but they benefit from being indoors just as much as i do.

I dropped it into conversation with Dad, and he really doesnt care anymore. Cant blame him, hes got more important things to worry about. Mum got really annoyed, but does see where im coming from and had the attitude "Well your going to do it anyway!". I dont like to irritate or go against Mum and Dads wishes, but they are my buns and my responsibility. If they damage things, i always replace them and theyre kept pristine when indoors. - My room is actually cleaner when theyre in it, ill live in a pig stye, but my animals wont! Laughing Anyway, theyre coming in when i break up for Christmas on the 16th. Ive gutted my room ready for Christmas and will rearrange furniture tomorrow, set the pen up on Saturday. Mum comes to terms with it better when i give her time to get used to the idea, and im sure March/April will be here before she knows it!

lizzi_blackwell3 wrote:Oh I totally understand your reasoning! Can they not live in your room, and then any mess is in your area, and your mum can't go mad!! have you properly sat and talked to your mum about all this?

how are you other than working all the time? I was thinking of you the other day as I hadn't seen a post from you in a while! I hope things at home are getting better! Hugs

Im not too bad thanks, Lizzi Smile College is great, im doing really well, but my laptop went kaput last month and im struggling with this old time machine! Buns are great, Skyes starting to grow a pair and stick up for herself, Dolly is still a terror and Marley is still his dosy, lovable old self Love Going to the vets tomorrow for Skyes Myxi so their all going together for moral support Smile As for Mum and Dad, things have come to a standstill. They argue on and off, but try to stay out of eachothers way. Mum just wants to get Christmas out of the way before saying anything to my brother. Its just all very weird. Everyone knows whats going to happen, but noone wants to bring it up incase they start an argument.

At least when the buns come in, i can escape to my room. Its too cold to escape to the shed now! Im thinking there will be a white Christmas. xxxxxxxxxx
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down