Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myths about rescue animals

2 posters

Go down

Myths about rescue animals Empty Myths about rescue animals

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 pm

When i was little i always thought rabbits in rescue were there because they had something wrong with them; they were either aggressive or had behavioural problems. Rolling Eyes I know now its not true, obviously!

Can you think of any other myths and misconceptions? Id like to put a document together for my facebook group if possible. Its nothing too serious though.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Myths about rescue animals Empty Re: Myths about rescue animals

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Previous to getting Vince, I always thought rabbits were a little girls pets and that rabbits were boring animals that were aggressive and territorial.

I now realise that looking back, yes, those rabbits I came across at my friend's houses were boring to look at, aggressive and territorial because they were shut in tiny hutches all day with nothing to do, stuck on their own. When they were let out they were impossible to catch becaise they didn't want to be locked up in their prison again (and who could blame them?) and they were aggressive and territorial because they weren't handled correctly and were unneutered. Nor are they an ideal childs pet at all, in fact a child is not a suitable owner at all for a rabbit.

Rabbits are grossly misunderstood. I used to think rabbits were boring, aggressive and territorial and a little girls pet, boy was I wrong if you treat them with love, care and respect and take time to learn about them.

phew, that feels better Smile Not sure if that was what you were looking for Laughing
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:Previous to getting Vince, I always thought rabbits were a little girls pets and that rabbits were boring animals that were aggressive and territorial.

I now realise that looking back, yes, those rabbits I came across at my friend's houses were boring to look at, aggressive and territorial because they were shut in tiny hutches all day with nothing to do, stuck on their own. When they were let out they were impossible to catch becaise they didn't want to be locked up in their prison again (and who could blame them?) and they were aggressive and territorial because they weren't handled correctly and were unneutered. Nor are they an ideal childs pet at all, in fact a child is not a suitable owner at all for a rabbit.

Rabbits are grossly misunderstood. I used to think rabbits were boring, aggressive and territorial and a little girls pet, boy was I wrong if you treat them with love, care and respect and take time to learn about them.

phew, that feels better Smile Not sure if that was what you were looking for Laughing
I was looking for a couple of sentences - What people think, and what the reality is Laughing But yes, i agree with you 100% Im constantly trying to get that accross to people when they look at me like a nutter and say rabbits are horrible and boring! No
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Laughing I think I went on a bit of a mini rant there!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 pm

I think that people think that rescue buns are all

a) old
b) cross breeds
c) have health problems

And I think that they think that rescues are for cats and dogs only, not small animals.

Flo was a baby when I got her from rescue and I think typically rabbits are taken to rescue within their first year as kids get bored of them.

As Maysie has proved with her nethies, as long as you are willing to travel you can get the breed of bun you want from rescue.

Again it is Bruce that has the health issues in my house and he came from a shop. Flo the rescue bun is 100% healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down