Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving

+2
fall3n-ang3l
Rachel&Nibbler
6 posters

Go down

Moving Empty Moving

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 am

I'm moving flats in about a week's time, and I'm concerned about how Nibbler will take to it. Me and my OH were house sitting a few months back and took Nibbler with us, he didn't like it at all. He had all of his stuff there, but he was very nervous. I don't know whether it's because he was passed through a few people before we had him and since we've had him he's only had 1 home and we've never taken him anywhere else other than to the vets, whether he thought we were getting rid of him or not I don't know, he might just not like change. Nevertheless I want to make the moving process as calm as possible for him, so does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to help it go easily for him? I'm thinking as well that if I want to bond him with another bun, would around the time of us moving be the best time to do this? He'll be in new surroundings so he won't have the territorial space like he has in our current flat, but then I don't want to make it worse for him by taking him somewhere completely new and bringing a new bun in to the picture as well, if it's just going to worry him even more.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Moving Empty Re: Moving

Post by fall3n-ang3l Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

i would have thought he would have been nervous,it was new surroundings,something he wasnt used too,to try and calm him,you could try getting some camomile plant or they is hay were its in,i know there is something you can buy but i cant remember the name,i will keep thinking though becouse i know someone told me about it on here becouse i was worried about bonfire night,as to bonding with another bun,iam not sure,half of me says,yes,would be good as its all new territory but the other says no,let him get settled first,so iam sure someone with more knowledge will let you know,what would be best
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 am

found my post,it was Maysie who said about it

http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 am

If when you move flat you can keep Nibbler's indoor home just like it was at the old flat that will help with everything in the same place, rabbits don't like change and we know that's true as we have had sulks and bad behaviour over the years when we have made some changes to pens or territory.

Bach's Rescue Remedy we have used in the past for rabbits to just calm them if they are to stressed out.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Re the introducing a new bunny, in theory I feel it would be a good time to do it, but, only you know Nibbler and his personality. If you feel it would stress him too much, leave it for a while. I would do as Maysie said and keep his pen exactly the same. perhaps don't change his bed and litter tray the day before and leave it for a day after the move so it has his smell over it all? Put him in a quiet room so he doesn't see you bustling about and getting stressed (cos moving is stressful!) and give him some tasty herbs to distract him and a new toy perhaps that he can concentrate on.

If I ever moved I'd have to board my bunnies for a week as I'd have to take apart their homes and rebuild them, but I'm sure as long as I kept them the same they wouldn't care where they live!

best of luck with the move Very Happy
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:36 pm

best of luck with the move Very Happy
i would think he will be fine just surround him with his familliar stuff ie toys bed etc he will be nervous for a short while but will adapt Very Happy
moving can be stressful for all including you and your oh. Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:47 pm

I'd actually be quite inclined to find a suitable rescue bun, then put Nibbler into the rescue for a few days to be bonded while you move, then pick him and his new wife-bun up to bring home when the new place is all settled.

He would not have to be around in the chaos of moving out and moving in to the new place. He would have a 'break' between the old and the new. He'd have something positive to start a life in the new place with, and if you pick a confident wifebun you'll be amazed at the positive influence this will have on him (Layla has done wonders for our Jack). They'll then be moving in together to neutral territory.

Humum can recommend Coneflower (Echinacea) as an alternative calming treatment - you can get it as a liquid to go in the water or as a dried flower from the Boredom Breakers Natural range. She recommends getting him used to it before you need it though, as it smells quite strong and is an acquired taste. I wouldn't touch it at first but now I love it Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:06 am

Thank you everyone for the advice, it is all very helpful and much appreciated. Unfortunately the timescale we've had to work with for moving has been very slim so in amongst finding somewhere to live that will accept rabbits while still going to work I've not had chance to contact the rescue yet. Will be calling them hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Definitely going to get him some calming treatment, it stresses me out seeing him unsettled so it will do us both some good Moving 913859

I know I say this as an animal lover and don't see the monetary side of it, but I really want to get in to property development, just so I can turn round to prospective tenants and say they can have pets. So many of our favoured places have had to be turned down as they refuse to budge on not accepting pets of any kind Sad
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down