Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving the hutch

3 posters

Go down

Moving the hutch Empty Moving the hutch

Post by KathyT Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 pm

Tibbler's about to get a change of view in the next week or so as we're about to start on some building work right by her current home. Ideally I want to move her onto the patio on the other side of the house, as she's a tunnler and no where else has flagstones.

There are two problems with this - one is that technically that part of the garden is my mother-in-law's and as such the dogs are allowed in. Given Homer's past history I'm a bit nervous - are most hutches dog proof? The run is held together with twisty wire in places - surely a spaniel can't snap that?

Secondly the patio here is south-facing. It's fairly sheltered but it's still a lot hotter than where she is now and I'm worried about the extra heat.

Any thoughts?
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Moving the hutch Empty Re: Moving the hutch

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:12 pm

He might not be able to snap it but there is alway the chance he might be able to pull the mesh away from the wood or lift part of he run up. To be honest I would be very nervous around a dog with a history like Homer's, do you think Tibbler would be scared of his presence...
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks Sooz - I don't trust him either so you're absolutely right. She's a bit better around him recently because she's been in an indoor cage in the kitchen, so she's got quite used to both dogs. Tbh I'm thinking more of the garden now, or the orchard where the dogs are always supervised and we have a fox deterrant for the chickens.

The only trouble with that is she's likely to come into more contact with wildies and I don't really know about the myxi situation round here. Plus there's no hard surface and she's a nightmare for digging. Would a bit of chicken wire under the run discourage her, or would it hurt her little paws to be walking on that?
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Oh i dont know Homers past, but i wouldnt take the risk. Luckily Andy was fine with Mopsy, but i think it helped that Mopsy wasnt scared by him at all. He usualy licked her through the bars Rolling Eyes When she died, Andy thought that she was just in the shed and used to always run over there, i had to let him go in and smell around for him to see that she had gone, he hasnt been over there since.

Hope you think of an answer Smile Its going to be hard when Ogs goes out as i think that he will be scared by Andy, which will then spark Andy's interest in him Rolling Eyes
Oggie
Oggie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down