Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news

+11
Rachel&Nibbler
Tuckerbunnies
fiver
Vegan_bunny
Amelia66
gentl
Thumper2001
Dotdot
paullp
FluffSlave
Sparky
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news Empty Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news

Post by Sparky Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Mummy foster bun has had a bit of a sticky bottom since she came - her bum itself is clean but there are squidgy poos left in the run which are way to big to be from any of the babes. She's also quite thin although she does seem to be slowly filling out, and her tummy gurgles when she drinks. Humum has been ever so careful what she feeds them, so she does not think it's food-related, and she's not been hugely worried as there are a lot of normal poops too. But she thinks there might be something not quite working right inside, and would have expected it to settle down by now, so she is going to take her to see our vet tomorrow.

Lots of vibes for her please, she is such a sweetie, very friendly and such a good mummy Love

Last edited by Sparky on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news Empty Re: Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news

Post by FluffSlave Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Lots and lots of vibes for the lovely mummy bun. I hope she is soon feeling better Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news Empty Re: Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news

Post by paullp Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm

lots of vibes for mummy foster bun! all the best at the vet. gurgling sounds like a good thing though! Love
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Oh poor mummy foster bun, lots of vibes for the beautiful girl.

Out of interest what breed is she? I know that some English breeds have stomach ailments.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Difficult to tell, she is quite small but they suspect she could be quite young. Humum thought she might have a lot of Nethie in her, but has changed her mind on that Rolling Eyes - she does not have classic English markings, although she might have some English genes....

Humum thinks she has mostly been through a bit of a tough time and might just need a bit of help - she won with my horrible digestive problems so she's hoping she can help this one too Smile
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Aww, bless her. She's been through so much already! Fingers crossed for the vet trip.

Now I'm concerned.... Molly and Junior's tummy's are very noisey when they drink, always have been. I thought it was because they drink from a bowl (Thumper didn't). Should I be worried? pale
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Lots of vibes for mum. Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I did wonder if she had a bit of english in her. She may have a bit of nethie in her, there's something.
I can imagine she's been through a tough time, maybe she needs a helping hand and some love.

I can't say I've noticed Tigger & Jeeves' tummies being noisy when they drink - they squeak when they drink though because they really go for it Laughing

Jeeves' tummy made some odd noises when he had his tummy upset earlier in the year.

What digestive problems did the gorgeous Sparky have?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Vibes for Mummy foster bun please u/d good news HARE-MAILSTAMP2-MommaBunny

Sparky....from what you have said..to me it sounds like she may be getting too much air in her system when she eats and drinks. Given her history it may take awhile for her to realize she will have food and not have to 'fight' to have food to survive. If she is still lactating she may be drinking massive amounts of water.

Thumper still has problems when he can see even the tiniest bit of the bottom of his food bowl. We have to keep it at least halfway filled or he gets upset. He never overeats though. He must have been really starved at some point in his life. As long as he knows the food is there he is fine.

When we switched from bottle to bowl water source he got VERY loud bowel sounds. He had to learn to drink from a bowl and not gulp air. He looked so silly. It embarrassed him too!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:Aww, bless her. She's been through so much already! Fingers crossed for the vet trip.

Now I'm concerned.... Molly and Junior's tummy's are very noisey when they drink, always have been. I thought it was because they drink from a bowl (Thumper didn't). Should I be worried? pale

I wouldn't worry, Marshall is also a very noisy drinker as he also drinks from a bowl. I think some just make more noises than others.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Willow's a slurpy drinker too, and her tummy gurgles when she drinks. She drinks from a bowl. She doesn't suffer with tummy problems and got a very good report on her bunny MOT the other day, as well Wink
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks guys, we feel a bit more reassured although it'll be good to have the vet have a proper listen to her gut noises.

You're right that we switched them from a bottle to bowls, plus when they first came we could not get food into them fast enough. They've calmed down a bit now, although we've not seen Mummy eat much hay (the babes can't get enough of it). She was frantically trying to get grass from between the paving slabs when she was out in the drive earlier, and she goes loopy for the tiny bit of coriander and parsley she is given, it's as if she craves greens.

We're hoping the babes aren't still suckling (at almost 5 weeks old) in case she does need some meds (Maysie?!?) - Humum has never seen them try to suckle from her but they might at night... Hmmm

We're not really sure what my digestive problems were as in the end I got given everything - metaclopromide and panacur and flagyl - something certainly worked.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Sparky get you humum to check whether the mothers milk has dried up. If it hasn't then chances are that she is still feeding the kits. I assume you are free feeding the doe as well as her kits. It will not hurt to over feed her a bit at the moment. I read somewhere that a lactating doe needs 3 times the calorific intake of a regular doe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Amelia66 wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:Aww, bless her. She's been through so much already! Fingers crossed for the vet trip.

I wouldn't worry, Marshall is also a very noisy drinker as he also drinks from a bowl. I think some just make more noises than others.

FluffSlave wrote:Willow's a slurpy drinker too, and her tummy gurgles when she drinks. She drinks from a bowl. She doesn't suffer with tummy problems and got a very good report on her bunny MOT the other day, as well Wink

That's guys Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 pm

When I got Xena she had a few sticky poos and it took a couple of months to calm down. She also has very loud gut sounds and it's worse when she drinks. I have never seen a bun eat as fast as her and so I now scatter feed, this forces her to slow down as she has to find her food first. (As some may know she was very underweight when she was found Crying or Very sad ) She eats her food in less than half the time it takes Fiver to eat the same amount, and he LOVES food. Shocked
She seems to be finally realising that she always gets fed and although she gets ridiculously excited over her pellets and certain treats Laughing She has stopped snatching food (unless it's a fenugreek crunchy of course), I prefer to hand feed Xena to Fiver now as she is much more gentle! Laughing
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 pm

vibes for mummy hope she is ok Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:34 am

Lactating does should have unlimited pellets and some Timothy hay. Kits usually nurse to about 4-5 weeks so the Foster babies may well not be nursing now as usually you see them pestering Mum for milk they will become weaned as Mum will slowly stop producing milk.

I think there are medicines you can give to a lactating doe but I would ask your Vet about that.

Sending 'Keep well' Vibes for Foster Mum and hope she will be ok xxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:46 am

It would probably be better for the kits if they were still nursing since they didn't get a good start. That said it is incredible stress on the sweet little doe. She needs all that she can eat until her body gets replenished. I

You mentioned that she may be a young doe. She may not have even reached her full growth before she got pregnant. She may need alfalfa for a month or two to replace the calcium that may have been lacking in her diet. Your vet should know.

Hopefully your vet will be able to access her age and give you some nutritional recommendations so she can become a healthy bunny and be ready for a forever home.

Sparky, tell your hu-mom and hu-dad that I admire what they are doing for these precious bunnies.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 am

Sending lots of vibes that the gorgeous lady is ok. How has she gotten on at the vets today?
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 am

Sending her loads of vibes - she deserves a good run of things the poor little lady x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:06 am

Big vibes and love for mummy bunny!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:14 pm

I hope she is better today love, I am sending lots of cuddles.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:28 pm

How did the vets go?
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Her appointment is at ten to six, we'll let you know as soon as they're back Smile

All the fosters are being free fed pellets and hay (plus completely fresh water twice a day). The orphans and the babes from this family are all amazingly healthy, plump, active little bundles of fluff. I think the Mum has put all her energy into the kits, so hopefully now they are eating hard food she'll have a chance to get better.

They're getting a mix of Burgess Junior, Burgess Adult, SS and Allen & Page. Ironically none of them like the A&P very much (just like we didn't) and Humum bought a whole sack of it in for them as they get A&P and Burgess at the rescue. She was trying to make sure that they would not get upset tummies when they go back.

Hay - they get meadow hay from the bale, Ings, oat hay and some of the Vita Verde range with bits of rose, nettle, peppermint, chamomile etc. in depending on which bag is open.

Veg - only coriander and parsley plus Mum gets one Mange Tout.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 pm

sending lots of vibes,hope the vet trip goes ok
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next