Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I asked my vets about neutering today

3 posters

Go down

I asked my vets about neutering today Empty I asked my vets about neutering today

Post by Zo Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

& they said usually they don't do it until 6 months Shocked I really didn't want to wait that long, I don't want a humpy, spraying, possibly aggressive rabbit on my hands for 2-4 months. They did say if there are problems (like he's aggressive or humpy) they would do it sooner as long as he weighs enough. Neutering costs £70, does that sound about right? It's done at the other practice (there's 5 locations) and that particular practice is accredited by the RCVS as a small animal hospital Smile
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

I asked my vets about neutering today Empty Re: I asked my vets about neutering today

Post by fiver Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm

sounds expensive for a boy i paid £50.

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

I asked my vets about neutering today Empty Re: I asked my vets about neutering today

Post by Zo Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 pm

I thought it sounded expensive, but I'm not going to risk taking him to another surgery and it being rubbish!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 pm

i agree but i got my skippy done at a pets at home vets and they were great i only had to pay £20 for him as he was a rescue from one of their stores so they paid the first £30

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

£70 sounds about right - make sure that includes pain meds for you to take home, and the follow-up visit Thumbs Up

If you spoke to a receptionist, I would ask them to ask their best bunny vet's opinion on doing him at 16 weeks and what weight they would want him to be.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks Miss Sparky, I will phone them tomorrow and find out what weight they'd want him (last time I weighed him he was only just over 800g!) and hopefully they'll do him sooner for me
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Sounds approximately ok. Vets are still a bit stuck in the past with regards to neutering. More modern thought is that rabbits recover better when neutered sooner rather than later. And behaviourally it is much easier to prevent the behaviour than to try and correct it later on. As Sparky said, make sure you know what their take on pain meds is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm

That's what I thought Cheryl, I don't want him getting aggressive or developing any of the bad behaviours, what if he remains slightly aggressive? I'd hate that
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:08 pm

You will probably find that he is a little excitable until he is around 12 months old anyway. This may involve being particularly in love with your feet and the occasional nip and excess chinning of your toes. That is bucks of that age. But he shouldn't spray or take your feet by force.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm

I can deal with foot love! Thick slippers all the way Laughing

Cheryl, did you say to switch Hector over to the adult pellets? I'm worried it is his pellets causing the smelliness.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes I did. When Bo was here I had her initially on excel junior and dwarf and she had smelly poo and excess cecals. I switched her onto science selective adult and it stopped. She loved them and because of the trouble the excel caused I switched her over fast with no issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Super, I'm getting low on the junior pellets now so I will order some adult ones next week. As always, thanks for your help!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down