Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nail Clipping

+4
gentl
Sparky
KatieB
iiisecondcreep
8 posters

Go down

Nail Clipping Empty Nail Clipping

Post by iiisecondcreep Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:38 pm

I know there is a thread on this in useful articles but the pictures don't work anymore!

I am thinking of trimming Temperance nails myself. I am not sure the vet nurse is trimming them short enough, particularly the back ones. This is not her fault as they are dark so you can't see the quick. This is why I am thinking of doing it myself as then I can trim them more often to keep them in check as she gets very stressed going to the vets.

I can't pick her up (I couldn't even get her in a bunny burrito when she was just home from being spayed No ), but she lets me touch her feet so hopefully I'll be able to trim them just by picking up each foot individually. I think she has tickly back feet though so some persuasion in the form of noms may be required.

Her front nails are clear and you can clearly see the quick, as above her back nails are dark. Also her feet are really quite hairy but the nails poke out quite a lot and are curling a bit so they are too long. I've also noticed that she sits on her hocks, is this normal or due to long nails?!

my questions:
Can anyone recommend some good nail clippers?
I watched the Happy Hoppers youtube video and know to go for the scissor type rather than the guillotine type but there are lots available!

Any pointers on trimming her dark back nails?
I read that if you trim them just a little each time the quick will retreat over time. Is this true?

Thanks,
Gayle Very Happy
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Nail Clipping Empty Re: Nail Clipping

Post by KatieB Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Hun,

In all honesty nail trimming scares the life out of me they are all little beasts when I try.

We use a really good pair of human nail clippers though and that works quite well.

Good luck!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm

We have some like these although I don't think we paid that much for them.

Humum says the best tip she was told for clipping dark claws was the squeeze-squeeze-cut method. Pick where you think you ought to cut and squeeze gently. If bun does not flinch, squeeze a little harder. If bun still does not flinch, cut. Be ready for a huge drama if the bun does decide you are going to maim it though - they'll pull their foot away like greased lightning and give you the filthiest look ever Laughing

Humum hates clipping claws and dreads the day she nicks a quick, but she does ours when we need it. Hudad has to hold us while she clips. Even very wriggly buns like Layla seem to get the message that this is going to happen no matter what once Humum starts on a paw, and stop wriggling.

We've also heard about the quick receding once the claws are regularly trimmed, so doing a little tiny bit once a week is probably worthwhile until you have them at a manageable length. On the bright side, even us indoor buns only need ours doing every ten or twelve weeks or so.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:44 am

Sparky wrote:We've also heard about the quick receding once the claws are regularly trimmed, so doing a little tiny bit once a week is probably worthwhile until you have them at a manageable length. On the bright side, even us indoor buns only need ours doing every ten or twelve weeks or so.

Rory needs his nails clipped badly. BUT...he is SO fast and SO wiggly clipping his nails at this point seems impossible! Luckily his nails are clear. But the problem remains how to capture the little guy and get him burritoed! We can get a hold of him but he wiggles loose before we can apply the burrito! Twisted Evil
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 am

I can't for the life of me remember where I got my clippers from confused

All the buns hate having their claws clipped but Herbie, Hollie, Rosie and sometimes BJ don't wriggle when held upside down and I clip their claws in that position. It's a bit quicker I think as it is easier to get to the claws whilst holding a paw. I dread doing BJ's - his claws are jet black and the ones on his back feet are soooooooo thick pale I opt for the 'little but often approach'!

My Chris cut into Gabriel's quick once Sad and BJ somehow managed to snap a claw off pale The amount of blood that produced pale
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 am

Our nail clippers we use are these http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-nail-clipper-by-pets-at-home-95251 from Pets at Home.

If the nails are dark and you can't see the quick hold a torch behind the nail ( if you can) and this will show up the quick.

Always have a Stypic pencil handy just in case of bleeding.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm

The torch is great for seeing the quick. We do Myrtles nails on the bed, there is no way she would let me near her nails whilst in her territory
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Picked up a pair of clippers in PaH today. Just need to wait for Temperance to settle down and I will give them a go Smile
I will pick up a Stypic pencil asap, in the mean time I'll just do the front ones and a tiny bit of the back ones. I am not sure I'll be able to get a torch behind her back nails to see the quick :/
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 pm

I might give Willow's and Mojo's a go at home for the first time. Need to pick up some more clippers though, I broke the pair I had for my guinea pigs...

I think if I dump Willow on the table with a pile of noms she should be quite cooperative. Will try the same with little Mo but he is small enough to hold still should we need to. Willow has all white nails and Mojo white front feet. Nervous about doing his back feet though Hmmm
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:44 am

I managed to get some done last night Very Happy
The "squeeze squeeze snip" method seems to be the best for her back feet Smile

I noticed that her 'thumb' nail on one front foot curves up the way instead of down. She pulled her foot away as soon as I touched it. Anyone experienced odd growing nails? It's never been a problem when getting trimmed at the vets before but then she is scared and just sits still at the vet.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm

My one guinea pig has very deformed nails - they grow in all sorts of directions. I had to stop trimming them myself as they are all black and I was so worried I was going to nick her. Like you said though, they do tend to sit still and quiet when out of their environment.

Not sure what advice I can offer really Hmmm

The guy who trims Silver's nails just does them "as normal" - he is just a bit braver than I am!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down