Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now

+3
Lynda
racheld69
Big Ears
7 posters

Go down

Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now Empty Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now

Post by Big Ears Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi Artie is a 4 1/4 year old lop who has never previously had any dental trouble. He's always been a good hay eater though in the last few weeks I've realised his hay consumption has gone down a lot.

He ate some SS pellets this morning and a small piece of spring greens at about 12.00 noon or after, which he took enthusiastically. He's been very bouncy and enthusiastic until today when I got home from work and he's not really responding to anything, he's not tooth grinding but definitely not happy, has turned down his favourite foods.

He's had a bit of a problem with a sticky bottom recently which I'm wondering if it could be because he's not eating as much hay and wondering if that's possibly a result of a dental problem?

Any suggestions? I've got a vet appointment at 5.50 but I'm convinced it's dental (his poos when not soft are fairly small, some larger ones) he's not drinking more than usual, wondering if also it could be a stomach problem not dental, want to cover all the options possible to steer the vet (if you get my drift Rolling Eyes)

I know he will need painkiller, poss gut stimulant if no blockage - what else should I be aware of?

Many thanks!!

Last edited by Big Ears on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now Empty Re: Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now

Post by racheld69 Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:29 pm

is good you are going to vets. i guess you will also need more of his favorite foods to try an get him eating again depending on the diagnosis. and don't some people give pineapple juice for gut problems? hopefully someone will be along who does. I am not sure re: gut problems as fortunately not experienced that yet but i do have a dental bun. I think their mouths can get very sore if the teeth have grown into gums/tongue ec so after burring they need to be encouraged to eat when they get home til it has healed. Foxy was eating less for the few days after her molar removal. good luck and keep us posted.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now Empty Re: Artie's not eating-advice please? U/D eating quite well now

Post by Big Ears Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks Rachel. I've had a previous dental bunny and one current who has had one dental and it is pointing to that but I wondered if there was a gut problem I should consider - though I'm guessing the hay apsect is the key.

Thanks for your response, oh and he doesn't like pineapple

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:28 pm

The vet doesn't think it's dental. He's had a painkiller and gut stimulant. I have to take him back tomorrow.

He's eaten a little bit of kale but not interested in anything else, which is very unlike him.

I'm getting more convinced it is dental especially the drop in his hay consumption. Apparently he has a tiny spur but not anything major, though from what others have told me this could be enough to stop him eating.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:15 pm

It does sound dental related, some molar spurs can be well hidden and only revealed under a GA. And yes, sometimes a tiny spur is enough to put a bun off eating, others can eat with what looks like a mouthful of nails Shocked , they're all different.

Sending lots of vibes for Artie ~~~
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for that, I'm 99.99% convinced it's dental now, especially as he's eating soft food enthusiastically for a short while, if there was a major upset for any other reason surely he wouldn't want to eat anything.

I think I can convince the vet tomorrow, if not I will take him somewhere else!

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Just tell them your a paying customer, and you want the spur gone!!! Laughing that should do the trick!!

I'm sorry sorry about Artie - you've been having one thing after another lately with your buns!! Shocked

Sending him vibes!!!
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi Big Ears
Good luck for tomorrows appt I too have a dental bun and with fudge i only realised he had a problem as he stopped drinking his water/veggie water and was a bit like a bunny with man-flu!

We hope Artie feels better tomorrow x x
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:22 pm

LilleJente wrote:Just tell them your a paying customer, and you want the spur gone!!! Laughing that should do the trick!!

I'm sorry sorry about Artie - you've been having one thing after another lately with your buns!! Shocked

Sending him vibes!!!

I think it just seems like I have a lot going on as I go into panic mode so easily Rolling Eyes Poor wee chap didn't even get a chance to sniff his tea because I was straight on the phone to the vets!! There must be something tho' as he's a good hay eater and he currently has three types to choose from and only eating the odd strand Sad

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:48 am

yes, tell the vet you want that spur removed ASAP.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 am

*hands BigEars a soothing mug of tea*

Babes make yourself a list of exactly what you want to say at the vets and STATE CLEARLY that no matter how small a spur is you want it dealt with! USe the analogy of a splinter in the vets finger-it may be small but can be bloody irritating!!!

Fudge sends lots of munching vibes to Artie along with big brave bunny vibes for his vet trip....and lots of be big and brave vibes to you too Big Ears!

Huggles x x x

*fudge passes a digestive biccie to dunk in the tea in the hope he can snaffle some crumbs*
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:48 am

Thanks for the support and good wishes guys. The vet I'm seeing is not my first choice at the practice, she's a lovely person but not very bunny savvy. If she "doesn't come up with the goods" today I think I'll just take Artie to see Frances H-Brown early next week as I'm sure she will be able to diagnose the problem quickly.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:09 am

Hope you got on ok at the vet. I know when Evo used to have dental troubles, it would only take a little spur to upset him.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Hope everything is OK. I have to agree that some rabbits are very sensitive to dental discomfort and one spur is enough to put them off their food. Anita says sometimes she cannot believe how little of a dental problem a rabbit can have to put it of it's food.

I had one such rabbit and she once cost me £120 to have ONE single little spur taken off her back molar! I was not impressed but it had to be done. Rolling Eyes
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Saw the same vet today and she's not ready to be convinced that it's his tooth - however, he got another gut stimulant jab and I asked for some liquid Metacam in case I need it tomorrow.

IF he isn't right she's ready to consider his teeth are the problem as a stomach upset for "reason unknown" will have been ruled out... that seems fair enough actually, she doesn't want him to undergo a GA unless he has to, and neither do I so I think we're in agreement. I do however see myself likely to be taking him back next week for a dental.

He is eating well at the moment and asking for noserubs and doing a lot of licking so he's in no obvious discomfort at the mo but I definitely want the hay and soft poo situation resolving (so does his "missis-in-waiting" 'cause I've been holding off on trying to bond him with Esme until it's resolved)

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Just a quick update. He's eaten quite a lot of hard food today, including a piece of carrot, SS pellets, some tough grass, a few strands of hay. ... In fact he's got his head in his dish again!

I'm feeling quite hopeful, I really want to see him eat loads of hay but it could be early days. (No sticky bottom all weekend either so that's got to be good!)

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Yay!! Keep it up Artie!!!
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Excellent news! Much much better than having to have a dental. Still sending munching vibes ~~~
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:04 am

great news!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm

He's eating really well now. He's eating quite a bit of hay and he's gone back to sitting munching a lot of the time. I've even given him a Russel Rabbit biscuit type treat (my previous dental bun used to refuse them, it was the first sign her spurs were bothering her, she loved them otherwise). Art munched away at the treat enthusiastically and the SS is going down well. He's munching hay as I type Suspect Thumbs Up

The vet was adamant it wasn't his teeth so perhaps I should learn to trust a bit more Rolling Eyes I shall still keep a close eye on him for a week or two though just in case.

thanks everyone for the good wishes, Artie sends noserubs :luv:

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down