Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH

2 posters

Go down

ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH Empty ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH

Post by Josephine Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 am

Well Mindy is settling in well and we are loving her more by the minute.
But I am very concerned that she is not eating enough. Just to remind you, she is a 14 week
old French Lop. The rescue we got her from make up their own mix and I was told that she
should have a dog sized bowl of that each day, not to give her too many vegetables
yet, maybe just a carrot a day. The mix contains very small pellets and what looks like dried
mixed grassy type stuff. She is'nt really eating that much of it, and she does not seem to be
eating much of her hay either. I have started giving her a small bowl of mixed veg. Usually a
small sprig of cawliflower and brocoli, a carrot, celery stalk and leaves, and about 4 or 5 bits of
kale. I am changing my other buns diet to SS from excel pelletts atm, so am gradually introducing SS
into her diet, I am giving her about a dozen pellets a day. Am I giving her enough, I don't want
to give her too many new foods and risk upsetting her tummy, but then again I don't want to
underfeed her. She feels quite bony, which is why I am so worried. I have had no previous
experience with giant breeds so all advice will be gratefully accepted.
By the way she is producing pellets at an amazing rate, but they seem a bit soft.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH Empty Re: ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:53 am

It's best not to alter the diet for 7-10 days after getting a new rabbit to allow them time to adjust and settle in as environmental change and stress can trigger digestive disturbances on it's own.

I would then be tempted to start moving her to a pelleted diet because muesli mixes really don't have enough nutrients and minerals in them to sustain growth and development on a long term basis. This may be why the rescue want her to eat, what I would frnakly consider, a grossly big portion of dry feed.

A carrot a day is not something I would entertain in any rabbit tbh, carroit should be a treat not a part of the regular diet and a whole carrot is going to provide far too much sugar. Mine usually only have carrot tops and peel and they get it 3 times a week. That said I would not start to offer any new vegetables until the 7-10 days have passed and then only offer one new type, a little bit at a time.

How is her hay eating going? If she fills up on pellets she is likely to eat less hay and I've found that rabbits who get into this habit as babies are so much more likely to be fussy hay eaters as adults.....obviously as a frenchie dental disease could be a problem.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH Empty Re: ADVICE NEEDED: IS MINDY EATING ENOUGH

Post by Josephine Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks Sooz. I will stop giving her the veg for a few days.
I am sure she is not eating enough hay, so, do you think it would be best to only give her a small bowl of food for the next couple of mornings and leave her with only hay to eat for the rest of the day.
The mix is'nt the meusli type but just very small thin pellets with a mix of dried grassy type stuff. None of my other rabbits like the mix as I did try it before. When I got Hazel from that rescue, she was eating the excel within a couple of days of introducing it and refused to eat any more of the mix. A lot of the pet shops in the Devon area are now selling this mix, but others have told me it is high in protein and not good for the buns.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down