Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting Buns Together

+4
NSD
NickieM
KatieB
Ruffin
8 posters

Go down

Putting Buns Together Empty Putting Buns Together

Post by Ruffin Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:58 pm

[b] If I was to take on a few rescue buns how do you go on bonding them. When I gots Ruffs she wouldnt pair up thats why I took her as a loan house bun. As I was saying the other nite I am looking at making a nice home with access to the garden for a few so do they bond usualy or is it tricky
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Putting Buns Together Empty Re: Putting Buns Together

Post by KatieB Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:18 pm

It can be quite tricky and other times easy depending on the personalities of the buns. Just like people they can take a like, Love or dislike to another - Im not an expert but there is plenty of experience here, so someone will come along to help soon.

Are you thinking of providing a perm home to some homeless buns?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:22 pm

yes I would get to attached to let them go again me a big softy the reason I havn't had any more is that ruffs wont mix but I am going to put a very large hutch in the garage with an access to a secure run outside
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 pm

That sounds like an absolute marvellous idea.

Some Rescues will do the bonding for you so that they are already a loved up pair when you get them home!

Some of the rescues do Bunny Runs too, to get your babies to you. Its worth putting out a notice on here if thats the kind of thing you fancy doing.

I always fall in love with the buns put up for re-homing on here in need of a loving home. There are so many of them out there and I wish I could do what you are.

Keep us updated with progress. This is sooooo wonderful!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:29 pm

[b]yes I will I travel about the country a lot anyway in Dartford tonite
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:29 pm

The best bond is with a male / female - obviously both neutered. I have just done a male / male bond which is going well although it is a slower burn than a boy girl bond.

You need to start introducing them in a small area so they have to interact and it must be neutral to them both. Nobody must have had dabs on the area first or they will believe it is theirs.

Some people put both buns in a carrier and take them for a drive in the car. This stresses them a little and makes them seek reassurance from each other. It just helps to break down the natural distrust that all animals have towards a stranger.

I did my recent bond overnight in my bathroom and then put them outside. It was a bit fraught when they went out because the run had been one rabbit's home so I had to be cautious. However, if you are starting from scratch, just make sure that you put them out into a nice clean hutch or run and it will be a lot smoother. Good luck.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 am

Talk to your local rescue and see if they have any pre-bonded pairs or would be able to do some dating.

With Josephine I spoke to the local rescue and took her there - she had one-on-one dates with all the boys in neutral territory and the one she responded to best I took home. She also has pairs there who happened to bond together while they were in rescue.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 am

There is a theory that some professionals adhere to that groups are easier to bond because this is how they live in the wild - put them together and let them sort out their own heirachy. As with all these things, the personalities count for a lot, so success is subject to a few varied things that will not be rta same for each group.

I've never done it, so I can't really help, but I thought I'd throw that in Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 am

I find male / female and male/male bonds the best. Groups can work as long as there is usually only one female in it. We will all be here to help you through bonds! Very Happy
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Indeed, Charlotte was a massive help to me as I wasn't sure when to know that the bond was working or not. She was able to give me such a lot of support. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, you just need to ask. Thumbs Up
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Catswhiskas wrote:I find male / female and male/male bonds the best. Groups can work as long as there is usually only one female in it. We will all be here to help you through bonds! Very Happy

Its not to disagree but I find an easy group is 1 male to a few females for a group but I suppose everyone has their own experiences. If you are getting the buns at the same time, bring them home together and that combined with new territory should be a massive help.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Yeah I mean everyone has different experiences. I have never seemed to be able to manage the female bonds. Here at RSPCA we do about 50 - 100 a year and females are always a struggle for us. Twice I have tried to bond groups of my own that had more than 1 female in it and it was always the females that caused the problem. However as Indie has shown that isn't to say it can't be done. We will all be here with advice if you go ahead, and might I add, what a fab idea! Thumbs Up Those buns will be landing with their fluffy bottoms firmly in the butter tub!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:12 pm

I have 1 nuetered male, 1 nuetered female and 2 un-nuetered females...all living together in a shed which is opened daily at about 8/9am and shut again at about 5pm this time of year. They have a big garden area so can get away from each other if needed. I started by putting them in the kitchen together. [nuetered male and female were already bonded by myself at my parents home before we got the 2 younger girls, so maybe this made it easier?]
I just popped them in the kitchen and carried on with my daily routine. [I work from home] cleaning, with music on etc.
I gave them loads of veg and pellets spread on the floor, and basically they spent 1 day together in the kitchen and from then on they have been outside Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down