Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies?

+4
alicia
Velvet.Tears
Happy Hoppers
alsseja
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies? Empty Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies?

Post by alsseja Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:33 pm

I bought a rabbit two days ago. I bought her on a whim since I thought she was really cute so I forgot to ask the shopkeeper how old (months) she is already. This is the first time I've had a rabbit as a pet so I really can't tell how old she is.
They said veggies are good snacks for them so I went and bought carrots but I haven't given her some yet because I read that it might give her diarrhea if she is too young for them.
Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies? 18969811
Here's a picture of her, the koala stuffed toy is about four inches tall, almost the same size as her (If not bigger?). Can anyone please tell me if I am allowed to give her veggies or not? Smile Thanks Guys!

Last edited by alsseja on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Koala's height.)
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies? Empty Re: Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies?

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Gosh she is tiny isn't she? I would say she is not old enough to be started on veggies just yet if she has never had them before. Contrary to popular belief baby rabbits can be weaned on to veg when still with their mothers if it is done carefully, but as you don't know her past it is best to treat her as though she hasn't been.

I suspect she is probably actually a little young to have been taken from her mum already too going on the size you quote.

I've copied this from MediRabbit for you:

It is very important that vegetables and other types of fresh food are introduced
slowly and carefully. It is often best to introduce just one kind at a time. Don’t be
tempted to give your rabbit large amounts in the beginning. This can cause soft
stools, diarrhoea or stasis. Start with one vegetable (e.g. celery). Offer a small
piece and wait for at least 24 hours. If there are no soft stools, a larger piece can
be offered the next day. If the droppings get soft, discontinue the introduction,
and try again some other time. Take your time, and allow 5-7 days to introduce
each vegetable.
The digestive tract of young rabbits is not fully developed and they may suffer
diarrhea if the diet is changed. Watery stools are, however, more often the result
of an infestation of the digestive tract by coccidia, a major cause of death at this
young age. Young rabbits will start to nibble on hay and fresh vegetables after
leaving the nest, at age of 2 or 3 weeks. If the young does not suffer adverse
effects, this natural behavior should be encouraged, so to help develop a healthy
bacterial flora in the intestine. If a young rabbit does not handle fresh food well, it
should be stopped during a few days, and then reintroduced slowly. Other causes
like parasitic infestation or environmental conditions should be ruled out

What I would do is give her 2-3 weeks to settle in and adapt to her hay & pelleted feed in her new home and then follow the introduction advice above. You can also offer a probiotic supplement at the same time (a powder that goes in her water) to encourage good gut flora meaning her tummy is less likely to be upset.

If you want to read the full article Click Here!

I hope that helps.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies? Empty Re: Can someone tell me if my rabbit is old enough for veggies?

Post by alsseja Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Ah! Thank you so much! That really helped. I was worried it might be too early.. I'm glad I saw the youtube video from happyhoppersforum as it lead me to this site. I wouldn't have known what to do if it wasn't for you T___T. I'll do as you say. I'll wait for a month and introduce them her slowly. If there are negative outcomes I will ask again. =) Thank you! Thumbs Up
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Oh isn't she gorgeous! Give her nose rubs from me. Have u got a name for her yet??
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Your very welcome and I am glad you found the YouTube video's helpful too! Very Happy
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:43 pm

She's very cute Love
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi There,

Please feel free to ask anything and everything. We are all here to help.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by alsseja Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:47 am

Thanks for the support everyone. Her name is Emo. albino She has dark circles surrounding her eyes, looks like eyeliner so me and my boyfriend settled on the name.
She really is very very very cute:)
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am

She is very very tiny.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Wow she really is a tiny bun. Just to be warned, at her age it can be difficult to be certain of the sex, so your bun may yet turn out to be a little boy. We are here to help in any way we can and have lots of advice and information on how to make your bunny happy. I hope you both get lots of happiness from each other x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:30 pm

She is adorable! I agree with everyone that she does look very young, and would hazard a guess she's about 7-8 weeks old, looking at the pic.

With the veggies - everyones already said the same as I would. I have a 4 yr old bun who doesnt tolerate veg very well at all, and never has done, we end up with a "poorly tummy"!

Let us know how you are both getting on!

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by alsseja Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks! We are both great. Yeah she's still super tiny. I had no clue she was that young. I know completely nothing about rabbits. I watched a couple of videos from happyhoppersforum, specially about grooming! I got a very tiny soft brush so she can stay neat. It looks like she really likes it. I didn't get the rubber brush yet because they only had huge ones. I was worried she wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I also started cleaning her butt! It was really messy when I got her, luckily I got everything out. Now she's squeaky clean Smile

I'm having a problem with her paws though, is it okay for them to be stained? I'm not quite sure how to take the stain out. Should I just use wet wipes? Also, is it normal for her paw to smell like that? The cage she was kept in the shop was really tiny and over-crowded with little bunnies so they were stepping on each others poop and urine.. I don't think the shop were maintaining them properly. But I make sure to change sheets and hay every day because I'm keeping her in my room. So I was expecting for the stain and smell to go away on its own it's only been three days. So I'm still okay with it, but if there's anything I can or should do, please let me know Smile Thank you!
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:34 pm

You can buy grooming wipes from any pet store that you could wipe her feet with. Like these http://www.petsathome.com/shop/grooming-wipes-with-byotrol-20-pack-by-pets-at-home-15844

Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:48 pm

All mine have filthy feet from being outdoors! Sounds like over-crowding was the cause of your buns tho, it sounds like wee stains definitely. Have just taken another look at pic and wouldnt be surprised if she's even younger than my first estimate. That pet shop sounds awful! Whereabouts is it?

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alsseja Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Velvet tears. I saw the link. I will look for some tomorrow! Thank you! Smile

Oh, Corrina, It's near a mall where I live (Philippines). I couldn't find any other good site for rabbits so I joined here. Uhm.. I hope its not against the rules or anything.. The pet shop is called Bio Research by the way.
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:13 pm

there are no rules, people just prefer getting rabbits from rescues as there are many rabbits out there looking for homes.

Glad you found the site, you can learn lots of tips from the people here so feel free to ask questions ect someone will always help you if they can.

Such a cute little rabbit btw
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Aw...sounds like she's got a good home with you now Alsseja. I was given a rabbit years ago now, who had been too young to leave her Mum, but I figured she'd be better off with me in the long run. It turned out to be one of the best things I ever did!

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:27 pm

No its not against the rules honey, we are glad to have you.

The staining should go away on its own provided she isnt still getting pee on her own feet.

Does she have a litter tray?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:56 pm

No rules here Alsseja! We are pleased to have you. The staining and smell will go as long as she isn't standing in her wee now. Buns are easy to litter train and if you use wooden pellet litter she should keep her feet dry. Also the hay she is having should help settle her tum so you don't end up having to clean her back end again. If there is anything we can do to help, just ask! x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:06 pm

The name of the shop is a little worry to me Shocked
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alsseja Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:08 am

Thanks guys! Wave
I'm glad to hear that Smile
She doesn't have a litter tray, I have a normal cage but I put a cloth over half of it for her to lie on, I also got her hay. I found a site that told me I should keep half the cage empty for her to poop there. I haven't read anything about a litter tray. I will look for one today, and I'm also getting the grooming wipes.

Thanks guys, I'll make sure she doesn't step on pee anymore Smile
By the way VelvetTears, now that you mention it, it does sound like a bad name for a pet store Razz
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 am

Hiya
Litter trays are the way to go. I don't know what access to litter you have out there but if you do decide to use it it should be Made from paper or wood and be non clumping. Bunnies like to be clean and they like to do their toilets in the same place so a tray Is the best way to go . If you cannot get litter then put paper in the bottom with some hay on top. This will Make it easier for you to keep the cage clean and nicer for her. The hay in the litter tray is important as important. I am out at the moment but will post you some more info when I get home tonight x x xx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 am

The more I look at her the more I think she's around 6 weeks. She still has that proper baby fluff for fur bless her.

I love the name Emo, I really like unusual bunny names.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alsseja Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Guys, I just got home, I didn't see any grooming wipes in the pet stores.. So I got normal baby wipes. Is this okay?

Also, when I got home, her poop was wet, smelly and huge. Does this mean she has diarrhea? I haven't given her any vegetables, all she eats is Pellets and Hay. Help? :<
alsseja
alsseja
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Did it look like a little bunch of grapes?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next