Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news

+10
NickieM
JoeyBunsMum
Big Ears
jolovesbunnies
Dotdot
gentl
KatieB
Thumper2001
Tuckerbunnies
Sixer
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news Empty Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news

Post by Sixer Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:06 pm

What a horrible week - Herbie started to go into stasis on Wednesday but thankfully responded to treatment almost immediately. He then produced a horrid pile of stinky poos.

Then late last night at supper time I realised little Noo had started too. Despite meds she had deteriorated when I went to check on her first thing this morning. We were at the vets by 7.30am, who pronounced her a very poorly little girl. Her heart beat was slightly abnormal and her tummy sounds were not good. Thankfully by lunch time she had improved a wee bit - I think mainly due to the immediate fluid therapy she had been given and had been seen nibbling hay.

I am hoping for a further improvement when the vet phones again later. Out of all the bunnies Noo is the one who has had the most episodes of stasis. The vet is wondering if there is an underlying problem, a couple of the blood test results were slightly off but could have caused by her being dehydrated.

Is it a co-incidence Herbie was affected too - or had some of the food from this week upset both of them????

All I do know is that poorly bunnies are such a worry, and so stressful.

Please sends some 'come home soon' vibes for Noo if there are any spare.

This morning she was very very cuddly with me which is most unusual. Is it possible she felt some comfort in being held?

Last edited by Sixer on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news Empty Re: Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Sending mega Vibes to both Herbie and Noo xxxxxxxxxx

I know how you are feeling as we are going through the same thing with Parsley at the moment it's the Subcutaneous Fluids and constant syringe feeding that is keeping her going, I think it was the Spring Greens that set her off as I was worried about them even though they were fresh they just had a slight smell to them and I wish I hadn't used them now but they were fresh that morning and well in date, ( Tesco's) over the last few days we have had nearly every bunny that we have and we have 23 apart from Helen and Baby Saint (would you believe) with dirty bottoms so I am certainly putting this down to the Spring Greens . If anything happens to Parsley I will blame myself as I should have thrown it all away but you think because it's fresh and in date it's ok. Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news Empty Re: Two stasis bunnies U/D Noo home but not good news

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

I hope Noo is feeling better real soon.

Hugs for you, what an awful week.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:03 pm

I use Tesco's spring greens too. With so many of your buns affected it does seem a likely culprit.

But then again it may not be - we have just had some exceptionally warm days here. I believe that can cause problems in some buns if there is a sudden temperature change.

Hard as it is please don't blame yourself - you do a wonderful job with your bunnies Hugs Hugs Hugs

I am still waiting for news of Nia. She doesn't help herself in that she is an exceptionally sedentary little girl. She has very little of the bunny sense of mischief and curiosity. She was rescued by the RSPCA, beyond that I know nothing, so who knows what effect her early life may have had on her. Her biggest pleasure in life is her food bowl.

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh goodness. Im sorry to hear Noo is poorly Vanessa.

Sending so so many vibes for your special little girl.

Ill be thinking of you too, Its such a helpless feeling when they are poorly even more so when they are in the vets and away from you.

Does sound like perhaps it is something they have both eaten. I think I am going to stay away from tesco spring greens just in case.

Thinking of you hun x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Oh, my! How stressful Vanessa! I hope that the bunns are right as
rain tomorrow! Come on little Noo! Get all better and nom nom
for your Hu-mum!

~Holly~
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 am

Well, the vet phoned last night. Noo has been nibbling at some food and is a lot lot brighter Smile Smile Smile

Interestingly, she has been going up to the front of the cage when Caroline has approached her and has been keen to leave the cage for a nosey. This is very un-Noo like behaviour, particularly the exploration part. At home she is very, very cautious of anything new and unlike Gabriel has no sense of adventure. Given that she was also being more snuggly, I wonder if there has been a bit of a Eureka moment in her little head and there has been a shift in her trust of us.

Caroline was much more optimistic about her last night, so fingers crossed for further improvement this morning.

Thank you for your vibes xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 am

I'm so pleased to hear she is brighter cheers

Please do keep us posted!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 am

Caroline phoned again earlier - Noo hasn't pooped yet and has only really been nibbling at food. But Caroline says she is like a different rabbit - she has been out and about jumping onto things. We are both very taken aback by this - it is just not Noo.

Caroline is going to repeat the blood tests and keep up with the meds in an attempt to get her tummy back to normal.

We are at a bit of a loss at the moment to understand what is going on with her but we are thinking there may be an underlying problem. I am sure the fact that she is such a sedentary rabbit doesn't help her tummy motility either. I so hope all the exploring she is doing encourages her to eat.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Now BJ has a mucky bum too. Three in one week cannot be a co-incidence. I am going to take the spring greens out of their veg bowls for now.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 pm

We have just had a friend of our's on the phone for advice and his Guinea pigs are not eating the Spring Greens at all and he has bunnies also with upset tummies and he also buy's his Spring Greens from Tesco where we get our's.

What I am doing now is giving our buns less Spring greens and more herbs and I am going to look into just feeding them herbs but we feed greens twice a day as most of our buns are not on pellets just the veg and hay but I'm now thinking of putting them all back on pellets.

Something is not right that's for sure, we have never had so many rabbit's with tummy upsets, dirty bottoms and our vet is seeing more rabbits than ever with digestive problems and they are all fed greens I'm sure it's down to what they are spraying the greens with and I am going to look into it .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Ours have a bowl of veg between them twice a day. Only the spring greens is used twice a day - I have always treated these as a 'veg staple' if you will. They do get pellets, but only in a small amount first thing in the morning when I effectively go to check up on them.

I have just been discussing this with my hubby - it is time to re-think the bunnies diet. I hope you can find something out which might shed some light on this.

I have just been out and bought some more Avipro to put in water bowls in case this may help to settle tummies down. It may not be doing any good but I will feel that I am doing something to try to help.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Rocket is quite a good substitute for greens - there is quite a lot of goodness in just a little bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Sixer wrote:Ours have a bowl of veg between them twice a day. Only the spring greens is used twice a day - I have always treated these as a 'veg staple' if you will. They do get pellets, but only in a small amount first thing in the morning when I effectively go to check up on them.

I have just been discussing this with my hubby - it is time to re-think the bunnies diet. I hope you can find something out which might shed some light on this.

I have just been out and bought some more Avipro to put in water bowls in case this may help to settle tummies down. It may not be doing any good but I will feel that I am doing something to try to help.

I have asked at Supermarkets before about what is used for spraying greens and nobody seem's to know and I think it's the farmers who supply these supermarkets that spray the crops and Mike think's they will all use different sprays.

Mike has just gone out to get more herbs, I've done the buns smaller dishes of herbs this morning and they are all tucking in and enjoying it ,usually they sniff the Spring greens and walk away.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:11 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Rocket is quite a good substitute for greens - there is quite a lot of goodness in just a little bit.

We feed rocket they all love it except old boy Gypsy and if you drop one tiny piece in his dish he will not eat anything in that dish he is so funny, I can't tell you how many times I have made all the feeds up for them all and gone "Oh no I've put rocket on Gypsy's" and had to do another feed for him Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:50 pm

How is noo doing this evening?

Is she doing okay?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Rocket is quite a good substitute for greens - there is quite a lot of goodness in just a little bit.

We feed rocket they all love it except old boy Gypsy and if you drop one tiny piece in his dish he will not eat anything in that dish he is so funny, I can't tell you how many times I have made all the feeds up for them all and gone "Oh no I've put rocket on Gypsy's" and had to do another feed for him Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Gypsy sounds like me! Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Caroline has just phoned. Noo has managed a pile of poos Happy Dance and has been eating more Happy Dance

She tells me that Noo seems to be quite a happy little bunny at the moment - I bet the little minx thinks she is on holiday!

Caroline is going to repeat the blood tests tomorrow in case there is any underlying issues and she thinks given that out of the six she is the one that is most prone to stasis we should think about some long term medication for her.

All being well Noo should be back home tomorrow Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Oh im so pleased! Well done Nia Noo. x x x x x

Let us know how she gets on.

You must be so relieved.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:29 am

Happy Dance Noo has poo! Happy Dance Doesn't
take much for us to get jublient! cheers
Give the little love a nose touch for me please!
~holly~
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:02 pm

I've only just seen this, I'm so glad little Noo is on the mend! Poo Noo POO! Happy Dance
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm

I am so happay to read this love, please give her a nose rub from her auntie Jo.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Well Noo is home. Caroline phoned this morning to say that she was still bright and had had a good night on the eating/pooing front.

However the repeat blood tests show that Noo is suffering from kidney failure Crying or Very sad I have fetched her home with loads of medication, which is never an easy thing in bunnies, to try to keep her going.

Before I left to go to work at lunch time I went to check her over. I found her miserably hunched over her water bowl Sad Sad Sad I was on the verge of taking her back to the vets to PTS but then wondered if the stress of the car trip back home had knocked her for six. So I left her snuggled with heat pads, went to work but bunked off early to get back to her.

I found her sat in wee and she turned up her nose at a treat. I cleaned her up and sat for ages just cuddling her, again I was ready to take her back to the vets. However when I put her on the worktop she suddenly perked up, was interested in everything and then took some food from my fingers.

As Gabriel was making a right nuisance of himself with her and she seemed miserable with him, she is now indoors on her own. She has explored the conservatory and has eaten and pooed Very Happy The exploring bit is so unlike her, there is obviously something going on. Whether changes in her blood make up due to the badly working kidneys have altered her I do not know. All I know is, is that she has come home a different rabbit characterwise.

She is to go back for another blood test next week to see if there has been any deterioration. For the moment we will just take one day at a time.

I feel sorry for Gabe being on his own but Noo does seem better without him. I suspect that she is probably now on borrowed time so I need to do what is best for her first Sad

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm

So, so sorry to read your update Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I hope she can be well and happy for some time. Maybe now you know what's going on there are meds/treatments that can help her?

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Oh I am so sorry to hear about Noo I am in tears here as I have been following your threads and hoping for some good news I'm so sorry it's not the news you wanted to hear.

Sending Noo mega Vibes and hoping that with the meds she will feel much better xxxxxxx

Thinking of you and sending hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next