Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it?

+3
KatieB
SarahJane
Jay
7 posters

Go down

New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it? Empty New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it?

Post by Jay Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 pm

I took Stewie or his Myxo today (big relief, have been cacking myself since he got here) and talked to the vet about Lapinject. They were happy to order it for me, but then told me about Anivac. It doesn't have the mineral oil in it that is thought to cause the problems that Cylap does, and is in a single dose.

Vet told me it's as good as Lapinject - Anybun had it? I'm happy to pay for the whole 5 dose of lapinject if needs be, as Stewie is so little, I don't want any Cylap complications, but if this stuff is as good in a single dose, then it makes sense to have this, but I'm not sure about him being a test case, as the practice haven't yet started using it. They are just getting rid of their Cylap stocks before bringing it in.

There's some info on the contraindications here.

Any thoughts? Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it? Empty Re: New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it?

Post by SarahJane Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I havent heard of it but I am interested, Pebbles had a nasty reaction to the Cylap and was groggy for days and lost fur and was just very sore, so am interested to hear the thoughts on this.

Hope Stewie didnt mind his first vt trip!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it? Empty Re: New VHD vaccine - Anivac - anyone used it?

Post by Jay Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:33 pm

He's utterly unflappable Laughing Took it all in his stride, got a clean bill of health, and had all the staff cooing over him Embarassed Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Ive just arranged with my Vet for Daisy to have his Lapinject for his VHD. Its only costing about £20 extra too which I thought was very worth it.

I spoke to the head nurse who nursed daisy through a bout of stasis in the vets about a year ago. He remembered him really well and said "yes - he's a sensitive chap isn't he" ......
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:44 pm

Just thought I'd update this, Stewie had the anivac jab last week and there's been absolutely no probs Smile
It was the same price as Cylap.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Ah thats interesting. Definately worth considering for next time then. cheers
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

I spoke to my vets about it and they hadnt heard of it, they looked at me like I was mad!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:11 am

MissySJ wrote:I spoke to my vets about it and they hadnt heard of it, they looked at me like I was mad!

It has just come onto the market, so that may be why. The company that make it are called animal care. Forgot to mention also that I was talking to the vet about cylap, and she said that it was very nasty stuff when they (the vets) accidentally self-injected, big lump and very sore Sad It was to do with the mineral oil that Cylap was suspended in, which is waht caused the bunny probs too.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:13 am

Hmmm will be mentioning this to my vets.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by englishsable Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:32 am

We have moved to anivac from cylap at work and mine will be having it next time, they had lapinject previously so will let you know how it goes Smile

englishsable
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Mine are due for their VHD this month, so will be asking them to order this in for them. Will let you know how they get on.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Both had Anivac at their last VHD vaccination and there has been absolutely no problem. I have checked the injection site daily and no swelling, redness or any sign of problems with their legs. cheers
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:55 pm

That's great I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if any other bun had had it, thanks for letting us know Nickie Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat May 28, 2011 10:03 am

I took the little ones for their VHD yesterday and the vets have just started using Anivac. With us just moving house they are a new vet to us but very knowledgable. Only problem was he put the vaccine in their sides (!) something about the manufacturer advising to use the thorax (sp) area so any reactions are easily identified. It really hurt Nomad when he was doing it and Andy shouted at the vet to stop hurting him Embarassed overprotective Dad coming out.

Jay - did your vet use the side or neck like usual?

I will be telling them to use the neck area next time - sod the reaction site, i don't think it really matters where it is - i would notice it anyway.
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 pm

No, it went in as usual to the neck Hmmm I'm in touch with the manufacturers, who are helping me with a piece on it for HM, will ask them for you, & get back to you next week Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat May 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks Jay i really appreciate it. The vet was very thorough but it was obvious that the skin was thicker on the side and he was really forcing the needle in. I don't want to repeat the experience in a hurry but thankfully neither bun has had any sort of reaction to the vaccine or ordeal.
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun May 29, 2011 8:54 am

Mine used the neck area too. It is easier to 'tent' the skin at the scruff of the neck so you can give jabs easier under the skin. (I've just been doing that for Felix with ABX). The skin over the thorax would be tighter so it would be harder to do. Poor buns.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down