Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D

+4
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
JoeyBunsMum
8 posters

Go down

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D Empty Nose issues...some advice needed

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi everyone Wave
I've been a bit of a lurker on here for a while, and need some advice on our 4 1/2 month old little Joey.

The past 2-3 weeks his nose has been wetter than a normal nose (not running as such, but not dry) and he's been sneezing
here and there. Not drastically, but still more than 'normal'. Last week I removed what can only be described as a bogey from his nose. Today I noticed a blob of it on floor...

Does this sound more like snuffles or an allergy? His eyes are fine, not running and his paws seem as clean as can be expected...

I admit I'm not desperate to take him to the vets unless *really* necessary, as he's only been with us for under two months and he was
VERY timid at the start, and easily freaked out and as he's still getting used to things, I'm wary of stressing him out.

Would buying some Baytril be an option and give him that, or will we just have to bite the bullet and take him to vets? If so, anyone have any recommendations for bun savvy vets in the Derby/Nottingham area?

Any advice would be fantastic, as I'm not really sure what's best to do.
Thanks, Fran

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D Empty Re: Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:12 pm

With Snuffles rabbits sneeze and get a thick, whitish to yellowish nasal discharge, usually they make like a snuffling noise due to the fluid and mucus in the nasal tracts. Usually rabbits with Snuffles have nasal discharge on the inside of their front paws where the rabbit has washed his face.
If he has Snuffles he need's to see a vet as he will need antibiotics, it's also very contagious if you have other rabbits.

It could be an allergy to the hay but I think if it was me I'd be making a trip to the vets Smile

'Good Luck'

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D Empty Re: Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D

Post by KatieB Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Fran and Joey,

Welcome to HH!

I think if it was me I would be taking him to the vets. If there is something nasty there it would be better to catch it early.

I know that going to the vets is traumatic, but something he should get used to really as he will need to go for vaccinations etc too. Sometimes, him being able to turn to you in a stressful situation may even strengthen your bond.

I wouldnt go and buy some baytril in case a different abx is needed, also I think the only way to get it safely is by prescription.

Please keep us updated about how he is getting on.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 pm

There is some great advice here love and I would agree, take him to the vets. Please let us kjnow how you get on, love on its way.

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sun May 01, 2011 12:28 am

Thank you for your advice, will be booking his furriness in for an appointment. I know I asked previously, but has anyone got any vet recommendations in derby/notts area? Nothing listed in the Bun savvy vet area...

Fran

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 am

Sorry to hear about Joey's snuffly nose. I am sure a vet's appointment would be the right thing to do.

Sorry I can't be of any help with recommendations - I'm not sure if we have any members in Derby/Notts. Hmmm

Maybe start another thread with those areas mentioned in the title? Might catch someone's eye. Good luck.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun May 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Hope all goes well at the vet's and welcome to HH Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon May 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Let us know how it goes at the vets. Hope he is better soon. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue May 03, 2011 1:37 pm

How is he today love?

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D Empty Re: Nose issues...some advice needed

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue May 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Well we’ve been to the vets today and got some Baytril, was it was snuffles. Vet said we caught it early, which is good. Obviously he’s still sneezing etc but he’ll have his first dose this eve. He also had to have the dreaded bum thermometer Shocked
When we got home pretty much the first thing he did was pee somewhere he wasn’t supposed to (and has never done it there before) as if to say “Ha! That’ll teach you taking me there!” Cheeky bun
Laughing

Fran

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed May 04, 2011 1:57 pm

He sounds better love, if he is being naughty it is a good sign.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed May 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Glad you have caught it early and hope the treatment will help him xxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D Empty Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat May 14, 2011 11:50 am

Just a little update on how Joey is getting on...

Well he's been having the Baytril for just over a week now and after 3 or 4 days, seemed to be less sneezing and his nose was dryer. The past two days (Thurs) I've noticed the odd sneeze and seen a bit of erm, bogey in his nose. Not as bad as before he started his meds, but wondering if that's what can be expected or maybe he'll need a longer dose?

Fran

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat May 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Hun,

Im afraid I dont know what to expect but if you are at all concerned give your vet a call. x x You know him better than anyone and if you feel something isnt quite right I would get it checked out.

Sending hugs for you both x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D Empty Nose issues...some advice needed - U/D

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat May 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Another update on Joey's nose!

Well we took back to the vets yesterday, as the Baytril course was finished and he was still sneezing/snuffley. It obviously hadn't shifted it.

Vet suggested we try him with penicillin injections, which she let us do a practice test run with sterile water to see how he took it, but he went a bit mad when injected (he's not like your typical bun with jabs it seems...) Ho hum...

So we've ended up with Zithromax (fake pencillin taken orally) and Metacam to help unblock his sinuses and help the Zithromax work more effectively. Starting on a lower dose to limit any stomach issues, as apparently they can be a bit off food for an hour after their first dose.
He'll be on this antibiotic for 4 weeks. I've been wondering as he's never eaten anything other than pellets and hay, if it would be ok to try mashed banana mixed with his meds? I've read other ppl give their buns bananas, but is this ok for their tums? The lady we got him from bascially said she wouldn't advise giving them any foods other than hay, grass or pellets. I've had other buns in the past who had fresh veg, but when you get advised not to give them any it makes you wonder whats best...

Fran x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun May 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Oh bless him and you too. Healing vibes are on their way.

I very occasionally give my buns a very little bit of banana and they love it, but our friends on here will advise you wisely. I don't think they are supposed to have it as a regular thing.

Hugs and love

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun May 22, 2011 2:58 pm

They do need veg but introduced slowly - I will let someone else tell you about that in more depth as I am new to rabbit keeping.

My two are 15 weeks and when they were tiny i used to soak their pellets in hot water (and then let it cool) and they used to like it very much - im wondering whether this might be a way to help Joey with his meds without having to introduce him to a new food when he isnt feeling at his best?

Hope it all goes well x
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun May 22, 2011 3:13 pm

How old is he fran?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for the vibes once again Smile

Katie, he's 5 1/2 months old so getting to the age when you can start introducing new foods. But as I say, the woman we got him from advised not to bother with veggies etc, I was going to adhere to her advice so I don't know what's the best idea on that front. Would be good o find a 'treat' for him for meds/bribery purposes Laughing

Also, he seems to be taking a bit longer to finish food. He is eating but over a longer period of time. He was like this when we got him, then switched to chomping quickly. Was a bit like this on before we gave him his meds...hard to find the line between paranoia and vigiliance sometimes...

Fran x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 pm

It is absolutely fine to introduce some veg, just a small amount, and do it quite slowly.

Spring Greens and Curly Kale are full of vitamins which are really good for them. As a rule of thumb a grown up bun should have 80% hay and 10% herbs and 10% veggis. Fresh herbs are a fantastic treat and blackberry / pear leaves are a fave too. (again these should be introduced slowly), but they are packed with things good for buns bellies.

Has the vet checked his teeth hun? A change in eating habits could indicate a tooth problem, which can sometimes make a buns nose run too. It can be very difficult for them to see with buns while they are awake, but if his eating slows further it might be worth asking the vet to take a look.

I will see if I can find a link to the list of "can haves" and "cant haves" for you.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. We'll try him on some rosemary, and maybe a bit of kale. Our previous bun loved basil, rosemary and brocolli bless him.

His back teeth haven't been checked yet, and I don't think the vet wanted to do a GA while he was having nose blockage issues. Will see how things go after he's had the Zithromax for a couple of weeks. If it was a dental issue, would it make him sneezy/snuffley sounding or just runny?

A proper list of bun-safe food would be great, as I've never found a comprehensive one.

Fran xx

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down