Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding Advice Please.

+5
FarplaceRescue
Dotdot
icedancer
NickieM
Tuckerbunnies
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bonding Advice Please. Empty Bonding Advice Please.

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Rosie and Murphy are still apart they either just sit in different corners or fight and it's really getting me down as trying to bond them is taking up precious time that we need to spend on bonding other buns, they have a perfectly spacious double hutch and play pen that stands empty as they will not go back together and we have them in 2 indoor cages in the middle of our lounge during the night and I have one in their pen one day and the other in it the next and alternative days in the bunny room. I have sat and cried as I can't understand why after being together all these years they now won't go back together yet they sit next to each other in their indoor cages. We have so much to do a day and this is causing us a big headache as it's taking so much of our time.
I want to put them in a pet carrier and take them round the block but Mike said what happens if they fight inside the pet carrier. We have tried everything.

Any advice Hoppers as I'm pulling my hair out wondering what I can do next. Crying or Very sad

Thank You

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Bonding Advice Please. Empty Re: Bonding Advice Please.

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Have you tried to treat it as a bond that is being made for the very first time? You could try the carrier thing, but with Mike or you driving and the other in the back with the carrier to check for fighting. Might just be the thing they need to get the ball rolling. Sorry you're having this problem. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 pm

NickieM wrote:Have you tried to treat it as a bond that is being made for the very first time? You could try the carrier thing, but with Mike or you driving and the other in the back with the carrier to check for fighting. Might just be the thing they need to get the ball rolling. Sorry you're having this problem. xx

We are going to have to do that because I just don't know what else we can do as we have other buns to see to. This has been going on since before Christmas Sad

Honestly nothing is going right at the moment Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 pm

I would pick a warmish day. Put them together in a box that fits them both in snugly and take them for a drive. When you return put them in a completely new place to them - the boarding shed perhaps? - and see how they get on. As Nickie said I think you need to treat this like a first time bond.

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

I've got nothing to add but just wanted to give you a massive Hugs

I hope they sort themselves out soon
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Will they not even tolerate each other in the bath?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Im sure you know more about bonding than I do, but don't give them lots of room to start with. If the area you bond them in is big enough for them both to claim "territory" they will take longer to bond.
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Humum says:

The pet carrier thing is what I would try next - I've never known buns to fight, or even squabble, when they are under the stress of a car journey.

I'd also consider adding a third bun to the area I was trying to bond them in, to give them something else to think about. It'd have to be quite a robust bunny (in our case I would use our Rosie as she won't attack without provocation but won't stand for any nonsense either). It might seem a bit of a mean thing to do, but under the right supervision there is no reason that any of them would be at an increased risk of injury and a no-nonsense dominant bun might make them realise that each other aren't so bad after all Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Sparky wrote:Humum says:

The pet carrier thing is what I would try next - I've never known buns to fight, or even squabble, when they are under the stress of a car journey.

I'd also consider adding a third bun to the area I was trying to bond them in, to give them something else to think about. It'd have to be quite a robust bunny (in our case I would use our Rosie as she won't attack without provocation but won't stand for any nonsense either). It might seem a bit of a mean thing to do, but under the right supervision there is no reason that any of them would be at an increased risk of injury and a no-nonsense dominant bun might make them realise that each other aren't so bad after all Wink

I don't think I would add a third bun as Rosie and Murphy are bad as it is and I think a third bun would make Murphy worse but we shall try the pet carrier, we have used this before on Gypsy and Rosie as Rosie was originally going to be bond with Gypsy but he just was so aggressive with her and even attacked her in the pet carrier. It could only happen to us Rolling Eyes

Thanks everyone for your advice and the hug Carla...I needed that Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:Im sure you know more about bonding than I do, but don't give them lots of room to start with. If the area you bond them in is big enough for them both to claim "territory" they will take longer to bond.

We have given them a small bonding space and a bigger bonding space with no joy , I feel like screaming Sad
we have had to split them up again tonight due to fighting and fur flying No

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Have you got anywhere totally neutral for them? If you trust me enough, I can try to bond them here??????

But I know my set-ups are not nearly as good as yours.

At least it will be neutral...........

EDIT: could it be that they are picking up on your emotions?

FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 pm

I hope you get this sorted soon Maysie Sad Hugs

I know you don't need me to tell you this but anyway.... try not to get too stressed as they will pick up on it.

Nice.

Calm.

Breezy.

Happy.

Thoughts.

Smile x
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I was just thinking about this in the bath (Embarassed), is it Murphy attacking Rosie, Rosie attacking Murphy or a combination of both? I was just wondering, if it's still Murphy attacking Rosie like he did after her op because of the smell, whether you could give her a wash to try and confuse him again. I obviously have no experience of bonding bunnies, and have no idea if that is a stupid idea, but was just something that came to my mind. I was sort of thinking bunny shampoo, not a full bath or anything as I know they don't like that much (although my old albino dwarf did - good job seeing as how dirty he got) but just enough to take off any lingering weird smell that might be freaking Murphy out.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:Have you got anywhere totally neutral for them? If you trust me enough, I can try to bond them here??????
The same offer applies from us. It must be so frustrating for you, Maysie Sad Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:Have you got anywhere totally neutral for them? If you trust me enough, I can try to bond them here??????

But I know my set-ups are not nearly as good as yours.

At least it will be neutral...........

EDIT: could it be that they are picking up on your emotions?

Yes we have somewhere totally neutral for them they are not picking up on my emotions as Mike does the bonding as I get upset when they fight. Thanks for the offer Jan but we have to try and bond them ourselves we just have to get them together. These are the worse pair we have ever tried to bond. Murphy is the problem not Rosie as she is all for being friends with him he seem's to have got more aggressive since they have been apart.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

What about lavender oil or similar on both bunnies?
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 pm

icedancer wrote:I was just thinking about this in the bath (Embarassed), is it Murphy attacking Rosie, Rosie attacking Murphy or a combination of both? I was just wondering, if it's still Murphy attacking Rosie like he did after her op because of the smell, whether you could give her a wash to try and confuse him again. I obviously have no experience of bonding bunnies, and have no idea if that is a stupid idea, but was just something that came to my mind. I was sort of thinking bunny shampoo, not a full bath or anything as I know they don't like that much (although my old albino dwarf did - good job seeing as how dirty he got) but just enough to take off any lingering weird smell that might be freaking Murphy out.

Rosie should be smelling like Rosie now and not her Op as that was well before Christmas, when they are in the indoor cages next to each other in the lounge they sit near each other and Murphy sit's and stares at her and they seem to love one another , but put them together and it's almost as if they are scared of each other and Rosie will try to wash him and he will just attack her and he pulls her fur out.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:What about lavender oil or similar on both bunnies?

We find that rabbits have been worse with lavender oil as they just don't smell like bunnies at all and so fight straight away.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Sparky wrote:
The same offer applies from us. It must be so frustrating for you, Maysie Sad Hugs Hugs Hugs

Thanks so much, but we will get them together in the end if it kills us it's just getting the time to bond them along with everything else that we have to do Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 pm

I really don't know what I'd do with you all Hugs

I think the fact that they have always been so in love and snuggled together every night and now seem to hate each other is so upsetting Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm

He's being a right stubborn little monkey isn't he.

What are they like if they are both in the run, but with a partition? Do they just sit there again or do they try and get to each other?

I guess as a last resort it could be to try and see if they would both bond with a different bunny, which I know isn't a solution as such but it might give you some of your sanity back if it worked.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Sorry Maysie, im not sure what to suggest, but was going to say the same as Far Place.

Im also happy to attempt to bond them for you, if you trust me enough, but it sounds like you want to do it yourself.

How bad does it get? Mine will still fur pull from time to time, but on the whole they get on quite happily. I dont know how Mike bonds them, but i find things went better when i watched them from a safe distance of a couple of metres away. Not too close that they felt i was hovering around but not too far away that i couldnt get to them in an emergency. I think the less i intefered with them the better and would have only intefered if they locked on to eachother. In which case it would be a towel, thick gloves and a sweeping brush job to seperate them. But it never got that far. If chasing or serious fur pulling started i would distract them straight away with extra hay/a scatter of pellets/treats/veg.

The only other thing i can think of is that you have a lot of bunnies around. Could this be causing a problem? scratch
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm

icedancer wrote:He's being a right stubborn little monkey isn't he.

What are they like if they are both in the run, but with a partition? Do they just sit there again or do they try and get to each other?

I guess as a last resort it could be to try and see if they would both bond with a different bunny, which I know isn't a solution as such but it might give you some of your sanity back if it worked.

This is the problem there isn't really enough room to put a petition down the middle of their play pen so during the day Rosie will go in the play pen and Murphy the bunny room ( this is like a kitchen at the end of our garage with units in and a sink where we groom and check the rabbits) then the following day Rosie will go in the bunny room and Murphy the play pen.
I wonder if this could be the problem they are not together or can see each other when they are out of their indoor cages scratch I don't really want them to go with another bunny they have always been together.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:Sorry Maysie, im not sure what to suggest, but was going to say the same as Far Place.

Im also happy to attempt to bond them for you, if you trust me enough, but it sounds like you want to do it yourself.

How bad does it get? Mine will still fur pull from time to time, but on the whole they get on quite happily. I dont know how Mike bonds them, but i find things went better when i watched them from a safe distance of a couple of metres away. Not too close that they felt i was hovering around but not too far away that i couldnt get to them in an emergency. I think the less i intefered with them the better and would have only intefered if they locked on to eachother. In which case it would be a towel, thick gloves and a sweeping brush job to seperate them. But it never got that far. If chasing or serious fur pulling started i would distract them straight away with extra hay/a scatter of pellets/treats/veg.

The only other thing i can think of is that you have a lot of bunnies around. Could this be causing a problem? scratch

I feel that if we don't get them bonded we have let ourselves down, we should be able to do this we have done it before, we had the same problems with Ruby and Charlie but got them back together, but these two are just hard work as they spend ages just looking at each other before Murphy will attack her and he has bitten Mike Laughing he hasn't me yet.

Thank You for the offer Sophia Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:37 pm

I think the divorce has been finalised Maysie.

Maybe seperate completely for a while. Part them with no chance of catching even a glimpse of each other. Give it some time... maybe even a couple of months and then try like a first time bonding.

Let that lil s*d Murphy find out what he's missing. And give poor Rosie a rest from his nonsense. Give you and Mike a rest too.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next