Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please...

+2
Sparky
marleyNfriends
6 posters

Go down

OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please... Empty OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please...

Post by marleyNfriends Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 am

Ok, im now in need of some bonding advice/your opinions. I have Davie and Skye in a 6x2ft pen, as Davie was going out of his tree and bar biting in the smaller one. They also have 2 litter trays - incase one bun dominates one of them adn the other cant get access to hay. This hasnt been a problem though, both buns use both trays. There has been no aggression since the first day when Skye boxed Davie after she got sick of being chased and humped.

Now. The only interaction they seem to have is at feeding times, when they will both eat from the same bowl - All good signs, i know, and when Davie chases and tries to hump Skye. There has been no snuggles, or floping next to eachother and no grooming! lol. The closest they get to eachother is when Skye sits in the litter tray and Davie lays outside of it. Do i just let them carry on like this, or do i need to change something? The only good thing about the pen being this size is that Davie isnt humping as much and Skye has the space to get away from him.

Im concerned that making the space smaller will cause Davie to become rampant again, Skye to get stressed and then start fighting him. At the moment, she keeps running away from him. I think its partly because shes used to being chased away by Dolly all of the time! scratch
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please... Empty Re: OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please...

Post by Sparky Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 am

If you don't have a deadline for having a strong bond, I would leave them be.

I think if Skye has had a slightly negative experience, she could be slow to build up trust in Davie so let her do it in her own time.

I am quite skitty, and Gizmo is a very bouncy bunny so it took me a while to get used to him and not leg it in a panic every time he moved. Now I'm quite ok when he throws toys around and does bunny 500s round the pen (plus I have an upstairs to escape to for some peace, except when he includes that bit in his bunny 500 route Rolling Eyes).

We had a tentative bond which Humum managed to break by moving us to a strange place too soon. We had to be separated for a week or two (and fought every time we were re-introduced) before Humum managed to get us back together without us fighting. She's given us a big pen with two upstairs levels, so we have plenty of room and don't need to be allowed more space too soon. Gizmo gets to run around upstairs when I am on my nebuliser too. Humum is just going to take it very slowly as she allows us more space, more free-range time, and to go into new areas.

The one thing I would try with your two is to give them their pellets (or some of them) in a treat ball - see if they will work together and get the reward (noms!) for doing so Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please... Empty Re: OK, Now im in need of some bonding advice, please...

Post by gentl Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 am

^^ ^^
That! Sparky is wise!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat May 19, 2012 9:19 am

No, im in no rush to get them together. Which is why ive just left them to get on with it. Ill try giving them a treatball next time i give them their pellets. Do you think it will be ok to give them some of their new toys? The pen looks so empty and boring for them!

ETA: Is a car journey a bad idea?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sat May 19, 2012 9:51 am

marleyNfriends wrote:No, im in no rush to get them together. Which is why ive just left them to get on with it. Ill try giving them a treatball next time i give them their pellets. Do you think it will be ok to give them some of their new toys? The pen looks so empty and boring for them!

ETA: Is a car journey a bad idea?

I think this is normally only a last resort option as it isnt great for getting a strong bond. it can make a false bond as they turn to each other for comfort in the car, and then once out again after a while go back to normal of not getting on. I would say a natural bond would be better for them so just keep doing what you're doing Thumbs Up
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat May 19, 2012 11:08 am

Yes, give them toys and keep an eye on them with them at first. I would also give them quite a few so they don't both latch on to the same one.

I wouldn't bother with a car journey, they seem to be tolerant of each other as it is - you just want more interaction and a proper bond and I am sure that will come and probably be stronger for being allowed to happen naturally Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat May 19, 2012 11:11 am

Oh, one other thing that Cheryl suggested for me and Gizmo:

Get a box small enough for Skye to get in, but not so big that Davie can push his way in there with her. Cut a hole in it just big enough for Skye. Then she has somewhere to retreat to, and can box him through the hole if he annoys her Laughing

She might even get more confident for having somewhere to retreat to...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat May 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Ok. Thank you :-) ill try find a skye sized box, a chocolate box will do!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19, 2012 4:20 pm

I was reading down the thread just thinking that I would suggest adding things in which Skye can hide - so you stole my thunder Sparky! Laughing

I wouldn't do the car journey as it creates stress which is not the best way for buns to bond. I would just leave them to it. It took ages for Bruce and Flo to really have a good bond. It was about a year before I even saw Flo try to groom Bruce. Bruce would have to groom her all the time.

To mis quote Diana Ross/Phil Collins - you can't hurry love!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat May 19, 2012 5:27 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I was reading down the thread just thinking that I would suggest adding things in which Skye can hide - so you stole my thunder Sparky! Laughing
I did give you credit though, and you give such good advice that I have to share it Very Happy

I'm such a creep Embarassed Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat May 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Sparky wrote:
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I was reading down the thread just thinking that I would suggest adding things in which Skye can hide - so you stole my thunder Sparky! Laughing
I did give you credit though, and you give such good advice that I have to share it Very Happy

I'm such a creep Embarassed Laughing
That's what I was going to say Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 pm

It sounds to me as if everything is going in the right direction so I'd leave them as they are Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat May 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I just want to snuggle them both theyre so funny!! Just been watching them have their tea. Skye is now sat in the litter tray all puffed up like a little Buddah Laughing Love
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:I just want to snuggle them both theyre so funny!! Just been watching them have their tea. Skye is now sat in the litter tray all puffed up like a little Buddah Laughing Love

I love your little Nethies Love Love Love

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down