Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery

+9
FluffSlave
Rachel&Nibbler
gentl
Sparky
Vince the bunny
Tuckerbunnies
fiver
KatieB
Big Ears
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery Empty Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:14 pm

This can't be happening.

FHB is doing the surgery, so he couldn't be in better hands but I'm so, so scared of losing him.

Please send vibes.

I lost Dot to a blockage jsut short of 2 years ago, this is killing me.

Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery PICT0012-1
This is where to focus the vibes - one of the sweetest little beasts you could ever hope to meet.

Last edited by Big Ears on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery Empty Re: Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Loads of vibes for him and you. Hugs

Back to top Go down

Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery Empty Re: Elijah has a blockage ... surgery ... in recovery

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:19 pm

MILLIONS OF VIBES ON THEIR WAY!

Im so sorry to hear this has happened - poor Elijah.

He is in the very best hands there are, and he is lucky that he has you, because together, FHB and yourself are giving him the best chance that there is.

Please keep is updated, Ill be thinking of you.

COME ON ELIJAH!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Thank you both so much.

He was admitted last night and apparently seemed brighter this morning so they thought it was pass but he has deteriorated quite a bit in the last couple of hours.

I suppose this was bound to happen to him eventually. It's only 8 days since his last stasis episode.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Oh goodness - could the last stasis episode be linked to this at all?

When are they going to call you?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Katieb wrote:Oh goodness - could the last stasis episode be linked to this at all?

When are they going to call you?

He's had about 12 admissions for stasis so I guess they are probably all linked. He's had investigations before that have shown nothing abnormal but he seems to have a propensity to this.

If FHB finds anything that indicates an extremely poor prognosis she will let him go/discuss/advise letting him go (can't remember what I was told but as I trust her judgement it doesn't really matter). Otherwise if he passes they'll tell me as soon as or I guess when he's coming round from the anaesthetic. They will let me know as soon as there's any news anyway.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

He is really beautiful Alison.

What a horrible time. Im thinking of you both.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:31 pm

oh my goodness sending urgent mega mega vibes and hugs to elijah and you Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
he is a gorgeous bundle of joy Love Love Love

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Thank you so much for the vibes.

Nigel H-B just rang to say that FHB had managed to move the blockage along - she'd had to move his intestines out to get to where it was, it wasn't an easy job. His intestines haven't been cut - the blockage was in his small intestine and was eased along. He said it was definitely a faecal pellet, you can see them through the wall of the intestine, apparently... and told me off for trying to blame myself as to what he'd eaten Embarassed FHB said he was ringing too soon as she was only just stitching him up and there are massive changes in his metabolism around that time so a critical time, Frances wanted to be more sure before he rang but he wanted to let me know progress and that I already know the next 2 hours is critical etc. FHB has done her best to avoid adhesions by use of saline around his internals but he will be at more risk now (assuming he survives)

His blood glucose last night was 16, this morning it was 11, as he was getting wobbling and really not well this afternoon they measured it again and it had reached 20, which is when they decided better to assist rather than let nature take its course as he was getting weaker quickly.

The next two hours are critical.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm

extra mega quick great recovery for him Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
it must be hell the next two hours but he is in the best hands Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Goodness - I hope he is ok - sending a prayer x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Our Rosie had the same Op at Christmas to remove a blockage so I know what you are going through it was so worrying especially
the 2 hours after the Op Hugs Hugs

Sending mega mega mega Vibes for him he's a gorgeous boy xxxxxxxx

Keep us posted please, I shall come back to see how he is doing

Thinking of you and Elijah
xxxxxx Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh my, how terribly stressful for you, I am thonking of you both and sending heaps of vibes, I shall check back later to see how he is Hugs
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Lots and lots of vibes, I really hope he has made it through these last couple of hours ok and is stable Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Any news?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you for the good wishes.

Katieb wrote:Any news?

Yes, he's "as well as can be expected". Nigel H-B was "happy with him". Technically, he's on out of hours today though FHB did go in to do the surgery. He's actually at their house tonight so they can keep a close eye on him Love Love

I get my next update at 7.45 am, as I have to ring them before they pass the phones back to the surgery.

Oh, and the blockage was a faecal pellet, he's probably very much in the habit of eating his hard poops and this could well be what's causing these episodes. I've often said that he doesn't seem to poop during the day and then does a big pile in the evenings. FHB has asked if he eats his poops as she has a theory that he does poo during the day, I just don't see them as he scoffs them. The heartbreaking thought for me though, Elijah was a neglected very underweight 8 month old rabbit when he came into my care - he probably got into the habit of eating his poops because he had nothing else to eat. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:03 pm

What wonderful people.

I'm so glad heis stable. Sending all the vibes in the world for his recovery.

How heartbreaking that the neglect he went through may still be influencing him. I wonder if there is anything tha can be done to break the cycle?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Katieb wrote:What wonderful people.

I'm so glad heis stable. Sending all the vibes in the world for his recovery.

How heartbreaking that the neglect he went through may still be influencing him. I wonder if there is anything tha can be done to break the cycle?

Don't know but I've been trying to give him less spring greens as they were *possibly* a trigger to gut pain. We now know that it's actual blockage and why so I can put his diet back to more greens and hope that will help. I had fallen asleep on the Friday evening and slept right through so he didn't get new hay as he should have done until the following day, which I feel awful about as maybe he would have eaten more hay the previous night if that was the case (he had access to loads of hay just not really fresh). He does really enjoy hay, and food generally.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Don't blame yourself hunni - I'm sure this is due to his past life and not because he didn't have his top up. Like you said he did have food. Little monkey!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 pm

What a horrible thought that he was so poorly fed that he had to eat his own poo.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 pm

aww i'm so pleased he's got through it all ok and doing well don't blame yourself it's probably just bad habbits as you say he learned to eat his poo as he was so neglected before and you have done everything more than right you gave him fresh food lots of love and attention clean home and lots of excersize i'm sure if he could tell you he would say a big big thank you with lots of loves Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh Bless his heart I'm crying here at the thought that he had to eat his own poop to survive how can people neglect them why can't they realise how
lucky they are to have such special little furries.

I'm glad he's doing ok , topping up the Vibes for him xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 pm

fiver wrote:aww i'm so pleased he's got through it all ok and doing well don't blame yourself it's probably just bad habbits as you say he learned to eat his poo as he was so neglected before and you have done everything more than right you gave him fresh food lots of love and attention clean home and lots of excersize i'm sure if he could tell you he would say a big big thank you with lots of loves Smile

He washes my face, if I let him, I think that's his way of telling me how much he appreciates his new life.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Oh Bless his heart I'm crying here at the thought that he had to eat his own poop to survive how can people neglect them why can't they realise how
lucky they are to have such special little furries.

I'm glad he's doing ok , topping up the Vibes for him xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks. He's an absolute treasure. From day one he was racing around buzzing, doing happy flops and asking for nose rubs, licking etc - all the positive behaviour you could hope to see. How anyone could mistreat him is beyond me Crying or Very sad When I took him to FHB a week after getting him she said she felt his being underweight wasn't a new issue but that he'd been neglected for a long time (not sure what she saw that pointed to that but that's what she felt).

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 pm

I just saw this....I hope by now he is just fine. Will be praying for him and you.

Let Elijah groom your face as much as you can bear it. Bunny grooming like that is a gift and means the world to the bunny in a way we cannot understand.

Given his history of not having food, you might free feeding him his pellets. Our Thumper was a rescue. Even after 10 months the poor dear gets profoundly panicky if he even sees the bottom of his food bowl. He never overeats though. We imagine he learned that if he ate all the food that his previous owners may take their time giving him more and he would be without. I cannot believe how cruel some people are.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next