Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWAF Press Release

+3
Ruffin
Jay
RWAF
7 posters

Go down

RWAF Press Release Empty RWAF Press Release

Post by RWAF Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm

http://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/releases/c992904/Cruelty-Will-Only-Be-Stopped-by-Licensing-Breeders,-says-Rabbit-Welfare-Charity.php

As in any walk of life, there are good and bad among breeders.

A dreadful situation in Norfolk has prompted RWAF into calling for the licensing of rabbit breeders, so that the standards of the good may be enforced for all.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

RWAF Press Release Empty Re: RWAF Press Release

Post by Jay Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 am

cheers At last! best of luck, it's long overdue Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33 am

[b]Who if anyone regulates the breeders at the moment
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:43 am

There is BRC - British Rabbit Council, they have published standards, but their members have no obligation to follow them, and there is no legal regulation as such, although the Animal welfare act covers breeders as well. BRC members pay a sub, get a magazine, and a ring to put around their rabbits legs, but there is no checking that they are following set standards Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 am

[b]I reported one rabbit breeder to the RSPCA about 8 month ago due to cramped conditions etc but what they actualy did about it I am not sure and I dont think I could ever go back on the housing estate again chances are I would never be seen again
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Grin Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 am

Jay wrote:cheers At last! best of luck, it's long overdue Thumbs Up

Agreed!

I'm sorry - i may be offending some people here but i dont actually think there is such a thing as 'responsible rabbit breeders' - seeing as there are 35000 unwanted rabbits waiting to be rehomed. May rescue centres are at bursting point and many are still having to take cases in while unable to rehome the thousands of health rabbits that are in rescue centres. I think if rabbit breeders were responsible, they just wouldnt breed until the rehoming crisis just didnt exist.

I also think there should be a lot more information out there on these rescue centres and what it means to adopt and not encourage the breeding that often goes on behind closed doors.

I actually think it should be law for any rabbit sellers to display posters of rescue centres and each pet shop should have publicity available and links with local rescues.

Sorry - my rant of the day. Embarassed

Grin
Grin
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 am

We do try not to offend people here Wink Its a small forum, and does have a clear ethos re: rescuing. The breeders that we do have here (that I know of) don't discuss their practice, and I hope that by being here, the lives of their rabbits will be improved. I agree with you that there should be no more, but I do think that some breeders do breed with a responsible approach and take good care of their rabbits. Doesn't make the act itself responsible, but the one's I know through here are far better at providing responsible care than the one's whos rabbits have ended up in PACT, for example.

Personally I would like to see a ban on all livestock in pet shops. I can't believe that you can now go into the supermarket one and buy a Lizard, just like that, with no preperation, or knowledge. No different with buns I suppose, but actually it's no different with any animal you can just go and buy. In the garden centre near me thay are selling Pygmy Hedgehogs - they belong in Africa FFS, and they are known to be particularly scared of humans - it's this kinda thing that drives me mad - Sorry, My rant of the day too Embarassed
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 pm

[b]I know its not the same but we get this with tropical and marine fish I have a large aquarium of some 20 fish these until I steped in were going to be flushed down the loo. At least it gives Jazz somthing to work out he sits and looks at them trying to work out what they are
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Grin Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Jay wrote:We do try not to offend people here Wink Its a small forum, and does have a clear ethos re: rescuing. The breeders that we do have here (that I know of) don't discuss their practice, and I hope that by being here, the lives of their rabbits will be improved. I agree with you that there should be no more, but I do think that some breeders do breed with a responsible approach and take good care of their rabbits. Doesn't make the act itself responsible, but the one's I know through here are far better at providing responsible care than the one's whos rabbits have ended up in PACT, for example.

Personally I would like to see a ban on all livestock in pet shops. I can't believe that you can now go into the supermarket one and buy a Lizard, just like that, with no preperation, or knowledge. No different with buns I suppose, but actually it's no different with any animal you can just go and buy. In the garden centre near me thay are selling Pygmy Hedgehogs - they belong in Africa FFS, and they are known to be particularly scared of humans - it's this kinda thing that drives me mad - Sorry, My rant of the day too Embarassed

You worded it far more eloquently than i could have Jay. And if i have offended anyone - it was not my intention - i am just stating my opinion. If anyone feels my post is too harsh or worded to inflame/anger then please feel free to let me know and i will edit.

Grin
Grin
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Grin Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]I know its not the same but we get this with tropical and marine fish I have a large aquarium of some 20 fish these until I steped in were going to be flushed down the loo. At least it gives Jazz somthing to work out he sits and looks at them trying to work out what they are

Awww - glad you saved the fish!! Love
Grin
Grin
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Grin wrote:You worded it far more eloquently than i could have Jay. And if i have offended anyone - it was not my intention - i am just stating my opinion. If anyone feels my post is too harsh or worded to inflame/anger then please feel free to let me know and i will edit.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, honest, we just know how these things can go, and it's not something we want or experience here, however it's there's always room for good considered debates, and I do agree with you, and I'm sure many people do. Wasn't too harsh Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 pm

[quote="Jay"]
Grin wrote:You worded it far more eloquently than i could have Jay. And if i have offended anyone - it was not my intention - i am just stating my opinion. If anyone feels my post is too harsh or worded to inflame/anger then please feel free to let me know and i will edit.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You didn't offend me you put down what a lot of people think
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by RWAF Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]Who if anyone regulates the breeders at the moment

There's no real regulation other than breed standards set by ARBA in the USA and the British Rabbit Council in the UK. I'm not sure what official bodies there are in other countries.

Care standards are not set out in the Animal Welfare Act, though RWAF, RSPCA and others offer guidelines.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2147/Looking-after-your-rabbit.html
http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits
http://www.bva-awf.org.uk/pet/buying/rabbit.asp

Because none of this is included in legislation, though, it makes it very hard to enforce.

If there was some sort of licensing system for those breeding rabbits, then better standards should be enforceable, and certainly, situations such as that which occurred in Norfolk last month, and which is sadly far from unusual, should occur far less frequently.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:11 pm

I have to say that as someone on the receiving end of the rehoming crisis I would love to see breeding halted. But whilst it does go on the best we can hope for is that the rabbits will at least be cared for properly.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I would also like to see breeding halted altogether. Its not going to happen, so trying to get regulation in there I think is the best we can do.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Totally agree, with so many in rescues why is the problem being added to?

People often say when they discover I have 7 rabbits, "oh, do you breed them?" and get a very sharp "no I do not!!" in reply. I explain about how I ended up with 7, inform them that all my buns are neutered, and take the opportunity to deliver a lecture about responsible ownership etc (heehee!).

Reckon too many people acquire animals in the first place, for absolutely the wrong reasons. I have 7 buns because my neighbours rabbit got into my garden, and 2 of my females became pregnant! Ooopsie, but I dont understand the shocked reactions I get, like "how on earth do you cope?" Er, I just get on with it, its not the end of the world!

So I have to bite my tongue n try not to explode, when I hear people bleating about how they "havent got the time" as an excuse for yet another unwanted animal.

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Having said the above I have to add, I was overjoyed to become a Grandma to my beautiful grandbuns, they are my pride and joy, and I loved having baby rabbits to adore.

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 pm

They were stunning babies weren't they and you were an excellent grandma, but you dealt with your own circumstance and didn't palm it off on anyone else.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down