Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again

+4
Amelia66
Sparky
FluffSlave
Zo
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again Empty Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Well his crate etc is, he doesn't smell of anything to me, but why would his crate start to smell? He does all his wee's and 98% of his poo's in his litter tray, which I clean out every few days, but his crate smells kind of like ham, that's the only way I can describe it, what should I do?

Also he peed on my bed again :| he did it proper ninja style, I didn't even realise until this morning!

Last edited by Zo on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again Empty Re: Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I might have cracked it, are caecotroph's supposed to be stinky?

Edit// Just had a sniff of his bum (oh god I'm such a weirdo) and it stinks!! His caecotroph's have NEVER smelt like this before, I'm going to put some pro-c in his water incase he has an upset tummy (his other poo's seem to be normal, no runny or soft ones yet, the caecotroph's aren't runny or overly soft, just really smelly) is there anything else I should do?
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again Empty Re: Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm not sure what else you should do but Willow's baby caecotrophs stank to high heaven as well. She did over-produce them a bit when she was little but now she eats almost all of them and the smell has stopped. Not sure if there is anything you can do or whether it is just a baby thing that they grew out of , but I kinda had to put up with it and use plenty of air freshener Laughing Plus, how could you be mad at this little face? (Baby Willow, Eeek!) Love

Hector is a bit.... stinky U/D smells again 296577_280699865276360_100000090460756_1194713_242247731_n
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:47 pm

I hope he grows out of it soon, it's making me feel sick!! They were ok, I couldn't smell them at all, it just seems to be today :S

Oh my god!! She was so cute!!! No wonder you couldn't resist her
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm

It is a pretty disgusting smell. How much pellets do you give him? I found with Wills that I gave her a little bit less food and a bit more hay which stopped her overproducing them SO much.

I know!! She was born with grown up ears and back feet. Too cute Love
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:54 pm

I give him what he eats at the moment, have taken the pellets out for the time being, I think I'll try him with just hay for a few days, see if that calms the smell

She had an adult tail too! Sooo cute Love
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:58 pm

I always feed Willow pure hay when she's got a bit of a messy tum. That seems to work. Not sure if it's recommended for babies though. I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly to let you know though! Thumbs Up

So she was. I never noticed that!! Aaawww, my little ball of baby fuzz. She was so cute!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm

His normal poo's stink too -insert green vomit -insert green vomit face here-

This had better clear up soon, before I really am sick D:
My poor baby
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Zo wrote:His normal poo's stink too -insert green vomit -insert green vomit face here-

This had better clear up soon, before I really am sick D:
My poor baby

Ooh, yucky!! I wonder what's up. I'm sure someone will know!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Ceacotrophs always stink. But you shouldn't really ever get to smell them as the bun should eat them as soon as they are produced. I'd cut Hector's pellets down but make sure he eats plenty of hay - it's a good idea to get him to grow up a good hay-eater from a young age Thumbs Up

What brand of pellets do you give him?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm

He has science selective junior, ok I will cut them down, he's a fairly good hay eater at the moment, but if he eats all his pellets during the day I don't top them up til I go to bed to make sure he eats some hay Smile

His bum is smelling better already, so I will leave him with just hay for this evening and give him some pellets tomorrow
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I was going to say it could be his scent glands, but only he would smell funky then.

I think it may be a dietary thing if his normal poo smells really bad as none of my buns poo really smells, and as sparky said you shouldn't be able to smell or see the ceacotrophs as he should be eating them. What hay are you feeding him currently?
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:05 pm

awww poor hector Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

He has the meadow hay from hay for pets, his poo has been fine up until now & nothing has been changed.

He's only recently started eating his ceacotrophs, I don't know if he eats them straight from his bum (when I first got him he did them in his litter tray then ate them later) but I do know there used to be a big pile of squished ones every morning and now I only find one, maybe two
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:35 pm

SS is a good food - if it was Burgess I'd have advised you to switch or mix as Burgess is reputed to cause / worsen sticky bums.

If he eagerly eats plenty of hay I'd cut the pellets down without feeling guilty. Does he go barmy when he gets pellets, or is he indifferent?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 pm

I would suggest that you try and change him to SS adult. When Bruce was young he over produced cecals but I changed him to excel light and the problem just stopped. I think that sometimes the junior pellets are just too rich. Hector will have been eating some of his cecals but you will probably not have seen him. At his age I would not be cutting out pellets all together as he will need the vitamins which he will not be getting from veg yet and also he will need the extra energy for growing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 pm

He does love them, I'd intended to switch him over to the SS over 2 weeks but he stopped eating his old pellets completely, so as his poos were ok I tried him on a full day of SS and he's had no problems, perfect poos, he ended up switching over in 4 days Shocked

When I fill his bowl up he always goes straight over and has a couple
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

You should only need to give him a handful of pellets, no more.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Just out of interest Sparky, should bun go mad when you give them their pellets or does this mean they're not getting enough? Willow goes barmy for hers. Literally races down the room when she sees me filling her dish Laughing

Sorry to hijack your thread!!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

It just means they like them. Bruce and Flo go mad for glucosamine/metacam on shredded wheat first thing, pellets at 7pm, hay at bed time and fenugreek crunchies whenever they become available. They have enough of all of them. Laughing

Bruce goes absolutely insane for the shredded wheat jumping on every high vantage point trying to get them quicker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 pm

If a bun didn't go mad for pellets, Humum would say they're probably getting too many*. Poppy was being free-fed and didn't care when her bowl was topped up. It was not topped up tonight due to her sticky bum so she'll probably be a bit keener in the morning Wink

*I disagree, but she is bigger than me and has the opposable thumbs Crying or Very sad
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 pm

That's good to know Sparky! Wills has always been a huge hay eater and I think it's because I've always been quite strict on her where pellets/treats are concerned.

She agrees with you, but what can a bun do when they rely on their human to eat? No
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:47 pm

How much (weight wise) would you consider to be a handful Cheryl? I use a coffee scoop to put his food in so I think I will just give him a scoop in the morning and a scoop in the evening.

He's about half way through the bag of junior, so when I need some more I'll order him some adult food and start to change him over
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm

I break Binky's little treats in half so he thinks he is getting two. He probably isn;t fooled at all but I thought I may have been giving him a few too many.

Hugs

Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:I break Binky's little treats in half so he thinks he is getting two. He probably isn;t fooled at all but I thought I may have been giving him a few too many.

Hugs

Jo xxx

I do this with my chinchillas and their raisins. They are full of sugar and the chins should only really have one a week at most (mine normally get one every two weeks as I'm a horrible strict humin!). I just break them into half and the chins think they have had two. It's a good technique Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next