Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on bonding - U/D BONDED!!

+8
lopz
Rosie Rabbit
Kate7590
NickieM
Big Ears
Happy Hoppers
Sixer
ElleyMay
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Advice on bonding - U/D BONDED!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice on bonding - U/D BONDED!!

Post by ElleyMay Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Sixer wrote:Have been thinking about you all day - but am lousy on time differences Embarassed

Am still thinking about you and the buns and am praying all goes well xxx

Aw, that's so nice!! Smile

I am incredibly happy to report that MUCH progress has been made! cheers

I was SO nervous, but currently the rabbits are in the bathroom... alone... and NOT trying to kill one another! They are definitely not in love yet, but I now think that is in their future.

As I said, I brought them over separatly and my mom took them into the bathroom and stayed with them for about an hour. They only tried to fight 3 times (which is about 30 times less than when I tried Rolling Eyes). Me not being in the room was for sure helpful! Also, they only had a little mat, and the rest of the floor was slippery vinyl or whatever it's called. It might not be the most favoured strategy, but it really stopped them from fighting as they would slip too much. When it was clear that Brynn was no longer trying to attack Hippo I went in the room and sat with them too. I stayed in there for another hour and not once did they try to fight.

Hippo is clearly going to be the dominant one, as he will occasonaly chase Brynn a bit and he humps her when he gets the chance (although, being so small she manages to slip out from him very easily). He is compleetely settled. She is a bit uneasy. Both are exploring the bathroom, eating hay, pooping and peeing, and throwing in the occasional bunny flop. There has not been any grooming or snuggling, but a few nose touches and a bit of sniffing. Definitely progress.

I think I might try the carrier approach now... or in a few hours.

My plan is to leave them here for the rest of the day(It's 12:30 pm here). . Actually, I'll probably leave them here for the whole night too. Hopefully by then they will be head over heels! Smile

A few questions:
In terms of feeding them tonight, is there anything I should be aware of? One bowl or two?
Should I bring in a litter pan now?
Do you think I should bring Tori over at some point (maybe tomorrow morning) to see how they react to her now?
and most importantly, where do I go from here? When I do bring them back home what should I do? Do I put them in the big cage together (Brynn's), do I let them run around the apartment and go into the cage on their own?
Should I thorogly clean Brynn's cage out or should I leave it as is?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the million questions!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Advice on bonding - U/D BONDED!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice on bonding - U/D BONDED!!

Post by NickieM Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:13 pm

That sounds really hopeful. Can't help with much advice as mine just sorted it out for themselves. I think they can be territorial about their own stuff, so maybe two litter trays and just sprinkle the food rather than having a bowl. Also gives them something to do rather than bite each other.

They might need to stay at your mums for a couple of days to establish the bond as if you just chuck them back into your flat, Brynn might get territorial again. Maybe you mum could come over when you get home and if they get tetchy with each other, she could deal with them rather than you in case Brynn starts being territorial over you again. But it sounds like you are just about there.

So glad cos he is a stunner and so is Brynn. A real showbiz couple.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:56 pm

I dont really have any advice but I just wanted to wish you luck, I really hope Brynn & Hippo bond and love each other forever Very Happy

Kate x
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:51 pm

That is fantastic news Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I am so so pleased Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If your Mum is willing and able I would certainly leave them with her for as long as possible so that the bond is firmly established. I would also be tempted to leave Tori out of the equation at your Mum's too and give Brynn and Hippo a chance to really gel.

As Nickie has said I would maybe sprinkle food initially, there is plenty of time to move onto bowls later.

As for back at your's I wouldn't advocate giving them too much space too soon. I also wouldn't want to put them into what is currently Brynn's space first given she was initially the agressor. I don't know how easy it will be to neutralise Brynn's current area as she obviously has so much space to call her own. However I do know some experienced bunny owners who do not bother with neutralisation at all.

I would suggest a car ride back to your's in the same carrier and then putting them into a fairly small neutral area or an area within Hippo's current space. If all goes well then I would increase the space that they are allowed in together gradually, maybe leaving Brynn's space until last.

Again, I am so pleased that things seem more positive and you are over the worst. Well done to your Mum Thumbs Up

Loads of hugs and bonding vibes xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 pm

cheers WOO HOO!!! We're there!!!!

All in all it was actually pretty easy. We had to get through a 15-20 minute window that was a little tense, and then after that it was smooth sailing.

I actually decided to bring them home late last night. While Hippo had immediately settled into to bathroom surroundings, Brynn had been uneasy all day. By about 8:00 pm Brynn was just sitting in the corner, looking awful. Hippo would go up to her on occasion and mount her. She'd just sit there and take it and not even move when he was done. Sad Since I've never even seen her stressed before I was starting to get a little concerned. I think she was just nervous and beyond exhausted. It's hard to describe, she was just looking terrible though. She wouldn't even acknowledge anyone or anything going near her (even after her spay she was more receptive).

I decided she needed to come home last night, but I didn't want to undo all the progress we made during the day. I brought them both over in a carrier together, and they were all snuggled up Smile. I didn't get Sixer's message from above or I probably would have put them in Hippo's cage, but instead I put them in Brynn's cage. I figured Hippo wouldn't be able to get through the big cardboard tube so that would give Brynn the ability to get away from him if need be. As soon as I opened the carrier Brynn jumped out and ran up to her usual spot (on the other side of the tube) and just sat there like she had in the bathroom... but she seemed almost immediately more relaxed. Hippo took about 20 mins to sniff everything and hop through the whole cage. By the time he got up to the top level, where the tube is, Brynn was fast asleep. Well... my theory was bunk because he went through the tube right away with no problem Laughing. Luckily though they weren't at all aggressive toward one another. Hippo was very hyper and was kind of annoying Brynn, but she'd just move to a different spot and go back to sleep.

I decided they were fine and went to bed myself (waking up about a million times to find Hippo had escaped and therefore having to find ways of fortifying the cage in my nearly asleep state). At about 2:00 am I heard some noises and I thought they were fighting so I went in the bunny room to find Hippo binkying around the bottom of the cage. Brynn, who only ever hangs out in the levels, was down at the bottom too. She was clearly re-energized after her nap. They were both so hyper and happy. They seemed to be having their own bonding session. It was like they were flirting with one another. They were chasing, but it was clearly playful; lots of flopping; nose touching; and even a little bit of grooming. I stayed up and watched them for a while, it was so cute.

This morning, they were both asleep on opposite sides of the cage (the top level) and as soon as they saw me they were desperate to get out. It's a huge cage, but when they are used to being out for the majority of the day they were getting a little stir crazy. So I let them out this morning and everything has been fine.

They don't seem like they are head over cotton-tails, but they are happily buds now. They ignore Tori (I thought they might get possessive over her). There is no bunny snuggling going on but they happily touch noses as they pass one another.

Here's hoping the process is over and done with! Thanks so much for all the support. It was a stressful day, but it's been so successful!

(Sorry for the novels, I'll stop now! Embarassed)
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Im so so pleased they are happy with each other, congrats Very Happy

Kate x
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Absolutely brilliant news, I am over the moon for you all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Brynn is a very lucky bunny to have you who understands her so well.

Congratulations to you and the happy couple, I will open a celebratory bottle of wine later Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:50 pm

PS Will need some pictures soon!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Well done, I'm glad it all worked out in the end. I agree, we need piccies of the newly weds!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:38 pm

WUHOO!!!!!!!!!! Great News Very Happy Pics pics pics Love
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:34 am

I am loving the photos in Photoshoot! So lovely. Love
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:42 am

Those pics are deeelish Love Glad they got there eventually!
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Sixer wrote:Absolutely brilliant news, I am over the moon for you all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Brynn is a very lucky bunny to have you who understands her so well.

Congratulations to you and the happy couple, I will open a celebratory bottle of wine later Very Happy

Nice one Vanessa! Laughing

I am delighted that it has been so successful. He is such a lovely laid back bunny that I was sure he would be fine. She is a lucky bun and I am glad that she has let him into her life. It will be fantastic for Brynn to have somebody to snuggle up with and it will happen before you know it. Now can you come over here and bond a trio for me!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2