Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Range - ud keeping the pressure on

+13
Sue_pawz
Amelia66
Sparky
Rachel&Nibbler
thezookeeper
Ruffin
Catsknickers
FluffSlave
KatieB
SarahJane
Thumper2001
fiver
Sixer
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Range - ud keeping the pressure on Empty The Range - ud keeping the pressure on

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 pm

I went to our local Range with my daughter today - the first time in a long long time. There were several members of staff fussing over a couple of rabbit hutches in the main part of the shop, trying to decide where to place the ornamental rabbits that were to decorate them. I can only assume they were being promoted as we are on the run up to Easter when rabbits are likely to be bought on a whim.

The hutches are part of the Lazy Bones range and are woefully inadequate as far as size goes.
http://www.therange.co.uk/lazy-bones-hutch-and-run/cages/the-range/fcp-product/44465 The run is 4ft by 3ft.

Knowing that I was ******* into the wind I did decide to voice my concerns and the pet stock manager was fetched. I mentioned the RSPCA and RWAF guidelines for hutch sizes. To my disbelief the manager pronounced that she was perfectly aware of the Hutch Is Not Enough Campaign being a member of the RWAF, had rescue rabbits herself but was perfectly happy to sell these hutches. She told me that a rabbit would be better off in one of these being looked after than in a rescue particularly as these hutches were better than others for sale elsewhere. She said that she recommended to people buying them that it was just a base and that the rabbit should have 3 hours a day in another run to stretch it's legs.

I pointed out that rabbits are best living in pairs and that no reputable rescue would re-home a rabbit to a hutch this size let alone a pair and that I was extremely disappointed and concerned that these were felt adequate. I did say I would also follow this up with their head office.

Whilst I appreciate this manager has no say as to what is stocked in the store, I am speechless as to some of her comments.

I hate this time of the year, the pet shop down the road has started to put it's 'baby rabbits for sale' sign outside Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

The Range - ud keeping the pressure on Empty Re: The Range - ud keeping the pressure on

Post by fiver Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:36 pm

I findit shocking that she is well educated for the requirements and yet has that attitude No
well done for you giving it to her straight Vanessa x Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

The Range - ud keeping the pressure on Empty Re: The Range - ud keeping the pressure on

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Urgh!!! What a hypocrite! She's well aware of it, yet chooses to ignore it?! No HBWS

Well done you for voicing your opinion.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 pm

I find her response actually MORE irritating than the usual, because its so hypocritical. Frustrating!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Right - I feel a HH campaign coming on .

Going off to get email addresses etc.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Customerservice@therange.co.uk

Lets get emailing hoppers!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:31 pm

SarahJane wrote:I find her response actually MORE irritating than the usual, because its so hypocritical. Frustrating!
That's it, isn't it? At least when people are ignorant to it, there's hope you can change their way of thinking. But when they are aware of it, and still don't do anything about it, well, there's not much hope really is there? Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I cannot believe this lady knew what a bun needs yet still chose to overlook it, all to make money Mad

It sickens me.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Right Hoppers - an email campaign has been launched!

I have contacted RWAF who said they would welcome our support so please do mention their hutch size charter in your email.

Consumer power recently changed the Aldi marketing campaign, maybe we can save countless buns living awful lives in these tiny hutches....
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Okay, my email isnt perfect but i am pressed for time at the moment! Feel free to use my sample email as a template for you own,those of you who want to help but may not have much time.

"I am writing to express my concern over the rabbit hutches that you have in stock, both in your stores and on your website. I have always found The Range to be of good quality and value, however the selection of rabbit hutches that you have available are actually lower than what the RSPCA and the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association) would consider to be a minimum size.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, rabbit owners are required by law to meet their rabbits welfare needs. Rabbits are incredibly active animals, and your "lazybones" hutch and run implies that this is an adequate size for a rabbit. The lazybones hutch is actually not even suitable for one dwarf rabbit, as stated in your description. Both the RSPCA and the RWAF, recommend a minmum 6 x 2 x 2 foot hutch, with 6 x 4 run to ensure that the rabbits welfare needs are met. (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm)

Rabbits need to be able to stand up on their hind legs inside their hutch, and the lazybones hutch does not accommodate for this. Rabbits are social animals, and it is recommended that they live (neutered) in pairs. However, your lazybones hutch is not suitable for two.

Your Lazy Bones Apex run is not suitable for rabbits, as it far too small and it prevents rabbits from standing up, and stretching their legs. This could lead to skeletal deformities, obesity and muscle wastage. Your Lazybones "large hutch on legs" is actually smaller than the combination hutch and run - yet there is no statement about it not being suitable. This hutch is considerably smaller than the RSPCA/RWAF recommended size, and again will lead to the same issues as mentioned already.

What these hutches do, is fail to provide acceptable living conditions for rabbits, and a company as large as yourselves could actually be playing a part in educating potential rabbit owners about what is and isn't acceptable. By selling these hutches you are not helping animal welfare to move forward. I ask that you re design your hutches so that they fit in with the RSPCA/RWAF guidelines, which will help ensure that rabbits are not suffering as a direct result of your sales.

There are 33,000 rabbits in rescues each year, and the public simply isn't aware of what a rabbit needs. Your cheap, and inadequate housing, just makes it easier to look after these animals poorly. Better sized housing would really help the bigger picture, so I ask that you take note of this email.

Regards,
"

Last edited by SarahJane on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Well said!!!!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

thank you sj I have borrowed it as i'm not good with this sort of thing x
and sending it now Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:15 pm

just sent it Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Brilliant! cheers

Everyone - Feel free to use it as it is, or tweak it for your own words, or even just use it to get your own thought train going, literally whatever!

xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm

How can ANYONE think a rabbit would be better off in a tiny hutch than being in a rescue????
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Its ludicrous isnt it, beyond appalling.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Was it you who just posted onto the fb page hunni?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Because they're stupid!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:57 pm

[b]Me going to be thinking of an Email to send now all night think me also may nip to The Range in Doncaster to wind them up especialy in front of other customers. Mind you my daughter was asking in PAH looking at a bunn for me just after Fizz had passed away they asked what size hutch it would have she told them that it would be in a 8 foot x 6 foot shed with a 16 x 10 foot run available all day and they said that wasnt adiquate No so thinking of buying 5 bed semi just for the bunns (well when I win the lottery anyway) Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Laughing Laughing ruffin they are a strange bred pet shop workers Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thezookeeper Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Well done and very well said SJ cheers
thezookeeper
thezookeeper
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1071
Location : In my rabbit hole reading with Jenna bun in Kent - England.
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Oh wow, thank you all for being so quick off the mark Smile SJ, your response is brilliant, thank you so much.

I had contacted the RWAF before my post here, I hope between us we can maybe make a difference.

The thought of rabbits in these hutches is awful Sad

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:11 pm

This is my reply from the RWAF

Hello Vanessa
We too have huge concerns about what the Range has on offer and have tried repeatedly to engage them in discussion about improving their goods, but they steadfastly refuse to respond I'm afraid. We continue to try. Please do the same, in the hope that eventually they will listen.
Kind regards
Ros

Sad Sad Sad

Please can we all contact the Range, we can only try and make a difference.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:15 pm

I've sent the email earlier and hope thy will be flooded but tbh it does not sound like they are bothered Sad
well done for spotting and acting on them Vanessa xx

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:26 pm

All we can do is keep on at them, I have flooded FBI with this now and have over 50 likes already this eve, fingers crossed as many email. I hope that this will continue to be shared.

I will not be shopping there.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next