Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets

+10
Sixer
Big Ears
Father Jack
KatieB
jolovesbunnies
BugsBunny
Sparky
Thumper2001
gentl
FluffSlave
14 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets Empty Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi guys, once again I need your opinion...

Well as you know, for a while I've suspected that Willow isn't quite "well". There's not one "real thing", I just feel that something is off with her and have done for quite some time now. It's a feeling in your gut that you just get, I'm sure you all know what I mean when I say that.

Well, recently it doesn't seem to matter how much I'm feeding her she isn't keeping any weight on - she's skin and bones despite having a healthy appetite. She's also been very moody with me lately and grunts and lunges for me quite a bit which is off character. And now, I've started noticing what can only be described as "fleshy bits" in her wee.  They're red and literally just look like lumps of tissue or similar. I can't help but suspect the worst, and I know there's a strong likelihood that Willow could have uterine cancer by now  pale 

I'm terrified I'm going to loose her. She's bright and well at the moment, but does anyone know how long it takes for the cancer to progress if there's a "set time limit" for it?

I've never been wrong about Willow and I can't shake this feeling, it's like I just know that's what it is. I know her so well. What do you think guys?

Obviously she will stay with us so long as she is happy and has a quality of life, but it's sad to think she might have a much shorter life than she could of had  Sad

Last edited by FluffSlave on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets Empty Re: Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets

Post by Guest Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I think it could be a lot of different things and the vet is the only one that could give you an answer.

It could be a UTI or similar but testing is going to be required to find out.

Although you may be right, there is no point panicking about it until you have that definite diagnosis. I think what I am trying to say is don't delay getting her examined by the vet because you think you know what is happening and have prepared yourself for the worse.

Back to top Go down

Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets Empty Re: Opinions guys? U/D Back from the vets

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I hope this doesn't come across as uncaring, but I don't have the money spare (neither does anyone else in my family) at this time of year to take her to the vet, and certainly not for testing, especially when she is eating, drinking, pooping and active as usual.

If those circumstances changed, I'd find the money and she'd be straight there though.

I forgot to mention that she was fur pulling terribly from her belly on Friday evening  Hmmm
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Lady, a Holland mini, left for the Bridge due to cancer at the ripe old age of 8 yrs. She had had it for a long time unbeknownst to both the vet and us. She went blind several years before she died. After her passing the vet said that it was probably the cancer that had taken her eyesight. Bless her. She never seemed to suffer..but rabbits hide their pain.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:18 pm

I really hope that Willow makes it to a decent age, too. Although my vet has sensitively warned me that the lesions on her lungs and her low immune system (she just seems to be a poorly bun) don't help.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I agree with Cheryl, don't automatically think the worst. (Which is easy for me to say, as I know we all do it!)

Remind me, how old is Willow again?

You didn't sound uncaring btw, but as soon as you have the funds I would get a urine sample to the vet to test for infection. Would your vet do a test without a consultation? The last time we put a sample into the vet I was only £10 for the testing. Although it was a few years ago now and I know vet charges vary dramatically!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:45 pm

How scary for you  Sad Hugs 

I agree with the others though, that it might not be as bad as you think. I would speak to the vet on the phone and ask what the various scenarios and options are - what would they test first and how much would that cost? Then what and how much? You might be able to make some progress towards a diagnosis without a huge initial outlay of cash, and at least feel that you are doing something. You might even come up with an easy, treatable illness.

I would also look again into getting her spayed. I know it is a massive risk for her but you might end up in the situation where a spay, if she survived it, would save her life and it becomes worth the risk. As far as I know it is not the uterine cancer itself that kills, it is when it spreads to the other organs and at that point obviously a spay can delay the inevitable but not prevent it. You know we went through the same thing with Sparky but thankfully our brilliant, brilliant vet was able to come up with the safest possible anaesthetic and bring her through it with no problem at all.

I'm pretty sure Willow is relatively young to be at a high risk of uterine cancer. It might well turn out to be something less sinister.

Loads and loads of vibes for her  Hugs Hugs Hugs and hugs for you  Hugs Hugs Hugs I know you are worried sick.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:46 pm

FluffSlave wrote:I forgot to mention that she was fur pulling terribly from her belly on Friday evening  Hmmm
This can be a sign of a phantom pregnancy or discomfort in that area.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks guys Hugs

I think I will get on the phone to my vet in the new year and find out where to go next. I'd imagine they'd want to see her before doing any tests on urine samples etc. I'll see what my vet recommends as I really trust her opinion, and if she thinks Willow should go in, then she will.

Thumper, Willow is 3 in June Thumbs Up

Sparky, I really don't know if I could do it. Where did you start with your vet trying to find the safest option for Sparky's spay? I don't think they'll be that happy to do it either after what happened...

Last edited by FluffSlave on Mon May 26, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:51 am

I agree with you all and I am so sorry hun, I do hope you get to the bottom of what is wrong with her and you are not being uncaring, if you cannot afford it. I know how it is to struggle hun and how much you care about her.

Let us know how you get on and hoping it is nothing serious that can be sorted out easily enough and not costly too.

Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Thinking of you and Willow.  Hugs I don't have any ideas for you but know you have my moral support. You are a good Bunny Mommy!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks so much, guys Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:56 pm

I hope you are feeling better Willow love, I am sending lots and lots of love to you and your mom.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:35 am

Willow's incontinence is terrible. She just pees absolutely everywhere. She's never been an overly clean bunny, but she has always contained it to at least one or two areas, only going off on a "peeing tangent" when she's feeling territorial. She's just leaving huge, dark looking puddles behind her now, though.

Her back-end/tail are also completely stained and saturated. We've been noticing a bit of staining for a while now, but all of a sudden over the last few weeks it has gotten really, really dirty. I've checked and there's no sore skin/hair loss, but it makes me think she must be sitting in it to get so dirty. I've noticed Mojo trying to clean it up for her when she flops.

My sister and mum were looking after the buns whilst I was away, and my sister told me she has noticed the bloody pee, too.

Enough is enough now and we're off to the vet at 5.50 this evening. She's amazing with Willow and is very bunny savvy, so hopefully we can get some answers. I'm also curious to see if she's lost any weight, as she's feeling really quite bony at the moment.

I'll keep you all updated. In herself she is fine, but something's not right and I want answers at this point Sad
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Millions and millions of vibes for one of my favourite HH bunnehs  Hugs Hugs Hugs 

I really hope they can do something to help her...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Sending strong mega vibes for precious Willow. I hope the V.E.T. has answers for you and they are good ones! I know this is incredibly stressful for you. Bunny pee can look very red at times but there not be any blood in it. I remember when Trooper our first bunny had bright red pee the first time. I was on the vet's doorstep!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Well, we're back from the vets and I'm afraid it's not the best news Sad

Our vet has pretty much confirmed our suspicions. She thinks that Willow most likely has uterine cancer. Her big concern is the continued, worsening incontinence over a matter of months.

The only options now are:

1) To treat it as a UTI (although unlikely). She's got a two-week course of Baytril (which has worked quite well for Willow in the past - fingers crossed) and is hoping to see some sort of improvement with the level of incontinence after at least a week. She agrees the high level of staining on her back end would indicate it's quite bad by now.

2) To give her a scan, however we've decided against this. Our vet agrees that all this would do would confirm her diagnosis, and from there the only real treatment would be to go ahead with the spay which isn't a possibility anyway.

So for now it's a waiting game to see if the anti-biotics have any effect. If they don't, the vet says there's not much we can do other than keep her comfortable. However, she does feel it would be best to let her go before the weather hots up, as the amount of urine she is producing around the living environment and her back end would be a huge risk for Flystrike, even indoors. I am heartbroken at the prospect of this, but trying to remain positive until we've seen what outcome treating it as a UTI has Sad Sad Sad
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Oh Jess! I'm sorry it wasn't better news Crying or Very sad

I'm keeping everything crossed that it is just a UTI. Dont give up hope yet Hugs
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 pm

I am so sorry to hear this.  Hugs 

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Thank you guys Sad

I really hope that it is a UTI. It's just hard to remain positive when the alternative is so grim. I can't imagine it...

Is it possible that a UTI could be there for weeks and weeks without making her poorly in other ways? Wouldn't she be full of infection, or could it have just stayed there for a while? I should have asked my vet!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Oh hunni - I'm really praying this is a UTI and the abx will clear it up.

If there is anything we can do please ask.

I am sending you a bucket of love hunni - you must be beside yourself.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Thank you Katie Hugs

It's hard to think about but I am trying my best not to get too upset whilst there's still the chance that all it is is the infection.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Sending Mega vibes! Bless your heart! It could be a UTI. They can be nasty . Hugs 
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm

I'd still be inclined to explore the possibility of having her spayed safely. There are so many anaesthetics out there that a really good rabbit vet might be able to come up with the safest possible option. You have Bristol Vet School not a million miles away, or the RWAF may have someone on their list who is closer to you.

Lots of vibes for her, I really hope the Baytril does the trick and it's not as bad as you fear  Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I agree with Sparky - I don't know what john uses but my guys are ready to come home within an hour of a GA, sought be worth looking at other options - just to see what is out there.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next