Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on George and Gemma

+12
Kirsty&Lola
bunnymadhouse
KatieB
Sixer
Agoutibunny
Happy Hoppers
ElleyMay
Rosie Rabbit
pet mad
NickieM
Jay
Rhianna
16 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 5 Empty Re: Update on George and Gemma

Post by Rhianna Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Yes, I must admit I thought it would be relatively easy to find George a wife. I guess maybe I am being a bit fussy but I have four wonderful bunnies of various kinds but not one lop and I so love their gorgeous floppy ears. Originally, I wanted a French lop but now I think any reasonable size lop would be lovely. I wouldn't want to risk a dwarf lop because of the cats, although Pumpkin (now sadly at the Bridge) was a dwarf something (was never sure of his parentage) and they were fine with him.

I think the post about lots of bunnies was from someone a long way away (although probably not as far as South Yorkshire and I was lucky enough to be able to get my gorgeous George).

I will try and put bunny wanted adverts on various sites. I have bonded male bunnies before but would much prefer a young female who can grow up with George. I've been home all day today and George does prefer it. Having said that I have been pottering around for the last hour and left George in the lounge with five cats and they are all fine. I think he may have mixed with cats before as he tries to climb out of the run towards them and they just run away. He definitely wants a friend.

Nickie - I don't know what you mean. I told Katie before I got George that I wasn't going to let him wrap me around his paws like Daisy has with her and her hubby. I was going to be strong and boundaried and I have stuck to that rigidly. Isn't delusion wonderful? Very Happy

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:06 am

I'm really glad you're gonna get George a wife Smile Good luck finding one !
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 5 Empty George now has a wife!!!

Post by Rhianna Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Well, I have now found George a wife!

I didn't get her from an ideal place - she came from the rescue part of PAH - and I know it would have been better to get her from a rescue centre - but she was an unwanted bun and she now has a good home.

I really wanted to find George a wife asap as this week I have been out every evening as well as during the day and it's just not fair on him. I have been searching the internet but to no avail and thought I would look in PAH as I needed some cat food anyway. There in the rescue part was a bunny with the same markings as George, but with lop ears. She is the same size as George and two years old. I asked about her and the staff knew very little and couldn't understand why I was bothered if she had been outdoor or indoor - they didn't seem to know that bunnies can't cope with changes in temperature. She has been in their store for a week and it was quite warm in there. I got her out and she is a real cuddle bun. She didn't struggle at all and is obviously used to being held. They said she wasn't spayed or vaccinated but when they got the paperwork she had been a house bun and has been spayed and vaccinated but couldn't be litter trained.

By then I had fallen in love with her and I just hope that is an excuse they have given - I'd have thought they would have rehomed her sooner if she was that bad with her tray! Or maybe that's wishful thinking.

I brought her home and put her by George's run and they rubbed noses through the wire which was amazing! She is now in my shower tray (a double one) as I don't have anywhere else to put her. I am picking up a second hand dog crate this evening anyway, which is handy so she can have that as a base.

I am going to take her to my vet after work tomorrow for a check up and probably get her myxi done as there was no date on the paperwork of her last one. What is worrying me a bit is how I will know if she really has been spayed. If she hasn't I guess I can't bond them this weekend as George wasn't neutered until 12 Jan and I think it is six weeks before you can put a male with an unspayed female. Will the vet be able to tell if she has been spayed? I doubt it but really don't know - and hadn't thought of that until I got her home.

She is called Bethanie which is nice but I want to give her a new name - and I don't like Mildred, which has been suggested!!!

I so hope George likes her and she likes him. I can't believe how similar their markings are - it felt like it was meant to be.

George has settled in really well now but I think he is lonely and a wife will make his life more complete.

I just hope bonding goes well. I keep thinking I have bonded a six so two has got to be easier!!! It will be wonderful to have two indoor buns snuggling up together - and getting into mischief!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Agoutibunny Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm

That's lovely news! Very best wishes for the unnamed bun and I hope that she and George settle down and are very happy together!

Very best of luck with the litter training ............ !

When we got our first bun, Mizz (a stray that we found living underneath my car), we didn't know whether she was spayed or not. We were told by our vet that it was virtually impossible to tell: the only possible way was if there was external scarring from the stitches which might suggest, though not confirm, a spay; and the only definite way was to open her up and to have a look!

I am looking forward to regular updates of a new chapter in George's life!
Agoutibunny
Agoutibunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:58 pm

we NEED photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Congrats on your new addition. Sending you positive bonding vibes.

... and yes... we NEEEEEED photos. You are going to have to figure out photobuket asap Laughing
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm

I will try and work out photobucket so you can all have your bunny fix. I will have to ask my friend to take photos of the new bunny too as I don't know how to get them from my camera to the PC and don't think I've got the necessary wires.

I've just gone and picked up a second hand dog crate and am going to try and move the furniture in my lounge around so I can set it up by George's run and then he and his wife can see each other. Not sure how do-able it is as George's run takes up most of the very small room.

I need to move the new bun from my shower tray. Went in to use the loo and felt really embarrassed - I only met the bun a few hours previously Embarassed

I was just hoping my counselling client didn't want to use the loo but she didn't.

I don't like caging bunnies but I can't let her out until she is bonded with George really. It's quite a big dog cage and when I am home she can run around in the kitchen/hallway while George is in the lounge. I don't want her to be with the cats yet as it may all be a bit much for her.

She really is a very snuggly little bun - and has used her litter tray, so hopefully the reason for her being given to PAH was an excuse. I think she will make George a brilliant wife. He needs someone to cuddle and groom who will listen to tales of his day and empathise. I can see them being a Very Happy Couple. Just hope she passes her vet check OK and doesn't have some awful problem I couldn't spot. I haven't checked her teeth but she is eating OK and has had some hay which is a good sign.

I am in this evening so will move new bun into the lounge and spend some time with them both. I really do need to think of a name for her. I thought something like Flopsy as she is snuggly and has those lovely lop ears. It's not very original though.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Wow, that's great news about your new bun - how exciting! I can't wait to see pics either, it's quite easy to post pics from Photobucket once you get the hang of it - I think Catswhiskas posted the link to the instructions on the forum.

I'm really enjoying your updates too. Very Happy
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Wow - fantastic news Very Happy Happy Dance Very Happy

Ladybun sounds adorable - looking forward to the pics Smile
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:42 pm

I do feel a bit guilty about getting one from PAH rather than a reputable rescue centre but once I saw her she looked so like George it all fell into place.

I have now picked up a second hand dog crate and moved some furniture and put the crate next to George's run. I've moved the new bun in there as the shower tray was really too cold for her - and it would be difficult for me to have a shower in the morning too Very Happy

George is VERY interested and keeps periscoping. She is busy eating newspaper which is a bit worrying. I put it down under her litter tray. The dog crate isn't that big so I let her out in the lounge for a while and she loves her cuddles. She is totally unphased by the cats, which is good. She came on the sofa with me and George was up on his cushions looking down on us regally. He had chased Mittens (one of my cats) away from the cushions - although there was plenty of room for them both! I am hoping he may be a bit more cuddly if he sees me cuddle the new bun. She then went and did a nice big wee on the sofa so got put back into her cage in her litter tray. I then went and gave George a stroke and lots of kisses as I don't want him to feel left out at all.

She seems interested in George too so I hope her vet visit goes well tomorrow and I can start bonding on Friday evening. It would be wonderful if it all works out. I think they could be so good for each other.

So, watch this space for a possible Bunny Wedding Happy Dance

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 am

Ahhh - what lovely news.

Well I think its a good thing you got the bun from PAH, a rescue is a rescue after all and they dont do home checks or anything there so she is lucky to have a home with you.

Cant wait til the wedding.....going to start looking at big hats this afternoon.

K x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 am

I think new bun is going to be called Gemma - it suits her. She keeps thumping with her back legs so I don't think she likes being in a dog crate. I can't let her free range in the lounge as George is in there and if I put her in the kitchen and hallway she will have the cats to contend with and I don't want that when she is unsupervised. I also have the computer wire there which hasn't been bunny proofed yet.

I'll let her out after her vet visit for a while. She has a bed and the litter tray and her food in the crate so it isn't that tiny but she doesn't have room to run. I hate caging buns but then she was in a cage at PAH. I have tomorrow off work so will be able to let her out a lot more then.

George definitely wants to go and say hello to her. He keeps periscoping at the end of the run. I just don't want to risk letting them touch until she has been vet checked just in case. I'd never forgive myself if I made George poorly.

I felt so much happier leaving George when I went to bed last night. Before I had hated turning the light off and leaving him all alone but now I know he has someone to talk to I felt much more comfortable. It's good that he has someone with him who speaks 'bunny' too as my 'bunny' is nowhere near fluent and it must be frustrating for him.

Once they are bonded I hope you will come and visit Katie? George would love to see you again and to introduce you to his bride. I think he is going to be a very proud husband.

I am very excited and so hope all goes well.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:17 pm

ooo yes I def want to come and meet her - and see gorgeous george again. I bet they are going to be sooo happy together bless them. Its lovely x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Took Gemma to the vet to be checked over. The vet agreed with me that she has been handled a lot. He shaved her tummy to check for a scar and there isn't one so in his opinion she hasn't been spayed No Given that the owners lied about that it is unlikely she has had her vaccinations so I had her myxi done while she was there.

Gemma was so good I just can't understand why anyone would give her to PAH. She is a very pretty bun and loves cuddles. Geoff (my vet) said she seems perfectly healthy and her teeth are fine.

I asked his opinion about bonding her with George as planned this weekend and he thinks it is unlikely George is still fertile. I don't want to leave it any longer as it isn't fair keeping Gemma in a dog cage. I've let her free range in the kitchen and hallway since she got back from the vet and so far she seems to be OK with the cats.

I can't get her spayed yet as I wasn't paid by one of my jobs last month (the time sheets didn't get from our office to payroll because of the snow) so my overdraft has increased enormously.

I've decided to take the risk and start bonding George and Gemma tomorrow evening. If I do end up with baby bunnies I will just have to keep them and find a fourth job!! It's been over four weeks since George was neutered so he should be OK.

I guess the previous owners lied because they thought PAH may not accept her if they said she was unspayed and unvaccinated. So far she has been really good with her litter tray so I think maybe their children just got bored with her. I can't see how though as she is so affectionate. Hopefully, she will bring out the softer side in George and he will become more cuddly. He seems to enjoy his kisses now and isn't eating all his food as soon as I give it to him. Maybe he realises that I won't starve him and he always has hay to eat. The hay fairy magically tops it up as soon as he eats it Laughing

Some good bonding vibes will be appreciated for tomorrow please. I am going to bond them in the room I use to see my clients in. My PC is in there so I will be able to supervise them and do some work at the same time. Neither of them have been in there so it is a neutral space. Not huge but large enough for them to be able to get away from each other if needed. I'm a bit nervous about it as it's a while since I bonded bunnies and I've always done it outdoors before but I have a good feeling about it.

Will keep you updated.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Wow this is turning into such an exciting thread. You have done so much in 12 pages!!!

I hope that the bonding goes well. What a shame that her previous family had to lie about her being spayed. If you hadn't checked and just assumed, you could have ended up with baby rabbits.

Hurry up and get your photobucket site set up. We are so excited about George and Jemma.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:15 am

Ohhh this is sooo lovely. I cant wait to see them both together and in love!

Good luck for the bonding today - I bet its no trouble at all.

They are both so very lucky to have you as their mummy.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 am

Goerge and Gemma - sounds lovely Love

Sending lots of bonding vibes.

As for the fertility issue, and I have wondered about this and asked about it before, I assume that at some point a castrated boy will lose the urge to mate. It may well be that all thoughts of nooky have completely left George's head Wink
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 am

I've looked it up on the internet and most sites say 4 weeks, some say 2 and some say 6 so I feel happy taking the very slight risk. It is over 4 weeks - just! The vet really didn't think it was a problem and if the worst happens I will cope - but the babies will have to be outdoor buns eventually.

I just hope George's intentions towards his new bride are strictly honourable and platonic Wink Hugs

I am going out for lunch later and then have to go and get more pet supplies but have dedicated the evening and most of the weekend apart from work to bonding my beautiful couple. I just hope it goes well. I hate keeping Gemma in a dog crate. Having said that she is much quieter today - I think it's the reaction to her myxi yesterday. She is still eating OK so I am not worried - I've had other buns be a bit sleepier after their jabs.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes - I so love this forum. My friends aren't remotely interested in bunny bonding and think I have completely lost the plot having a bunny indoors! They have no idea what they are missing out on Thumbs Up :

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 am

I am sure George will be honourable Very Happy

I think what I was trying to say was that I am not sure that the time at which a buck loses interest in mating is necessarily the same time as he becomes infertile. The urge to mate is controlled by hormones rather than the presence of bunny sperm.

Need some expert info on how soon male bunny hormones subside after castration compared to the life of sperms scratch
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 5 Empty Bonding in progress!

Post by Rhianna Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Bonding has started Very Happy

I've put both bunnies in my study with newspaper on the floor, a litter tray and some food.

I started about 7.00 pm and all they've done is hump each other. It's exhausting to watch and I so hope George is infertile or I can expect the patter of tiny paws. Poor Gemma was panting at one stage and I wondered whether she was hurt but then she got up and went to find George and took her turn on top of him - brazen bunny! Shocked

I haven't even conducted the wedding ceremony yet and they are starting on the honeymoon!!

There is fur and bunny droppings everywhere but they don't seem to be hurting each other so I haven't intervened at all. It is amazing how alike they are - similar markings and size. They make a striking couple.

Not sure what to do later. I can't leave them in my study as it is not bunny proof. I could separate them again, but I don't expect that is a good idea. I could put Gemma in George's run as he can get out of that. Or I could put them both in the shower room. I just don't want George to pester Gemma all night if she has a headache Wink

Another thing I've noticed over the past couple of days is that there are very few bunny droppings in George's tray. Once the bunnies are moved to the kitchen/hallway where they are to go free range I will have a good clear up of the lounge and I am sure I will find the rest of them.

George and Gemma are still circling each other but keep stopping for a rest now. Neither is running away from the other which is a good sign I think.

I had forgotten how stressful I find bunny bonding though.

Please carry on sending good bonding vibes - and whoever is sending the bonking vibes - could you please stop? Smile

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Sending lots of non-pregnancy bonding vibes. Update on George and Gemma - Page 5 497709
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm

It all seems to be going well, although bonding two predominantly white bunnies on a red rug wasn't my most sensible idea. I think it is going to take some cleaning.

They both seem to like going under a chair I have in the room. I peeked to have a look and both were flopped out and Gemma had her head on George's back. I had a lump in my throat. I don't think Gemma has had a bad life - she is clearly used to being handled, but knowing some of George's background, to see him snuggled like that really moved me.

Gemma is now tucking into a carrot and George is just stretched out watching her.

My study smells like a farmyard - not sure why - but it's worth it.

I think it is going well and have high hopes that George and Gemma will be happy together once they have sorted out who is boss bunny.

I've bored Angie with a couple of photos from my mobile 'phone - not very good ones but you can see the white blobs.

I have got the kit to link to broadband today but am too scared to try it in case it doesn't work and I lose my dial-up connection too.

I'll have to be brave tomorrow. Bonding bunnies is enough excitement for one evening.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:07 pm

you didnt bore me at all....cant wait for more ... Very Happy Very Happy

go george go Thumbs Up Hugs Hugs

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Oh sounds like it is going really well. I bet the smell is all those pheromones. Watch they don't affect you and you find yourself humping the postie. Update on George and Gemma - Page 5 811805
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 am

So exciting!!!

I know what you mean about the smell. When I bonded Brynn and Hippo I was like "ewww... this smell better not continue"... it won't. That's just George being a stinky man! Laughing

So pleased to hear that the two of them are doing so well. Was it love at first sight for them?

Glad to know things are going well... Thumbs Up
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down