Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on George and Gemma

+12
Kirsty&Lola
bunnymadhouse
KatieB
Sixer
Agoutibunny
Happy Hoppers
ElleyMay
Rosie Rabbit
pet mad
NickieM
Jay
Rhianna
16 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 6 Empty Re: Update on George and Gemma

Post by Rhianna Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 am

Am relieved the smell won't continue Very Happy

Not sure about love at first sight. Initially, they explored the room and didn't seem to notice each other, then George started humping Gemma and they haven't left each other alone since!

After much deliberation I put them both in George's run last night. I couldn't leave them in my study and didn't want to separate them again. I'd been checking on them throughout the evening and all seemed well.

This morning they were both in the box in the run. Usually, George is on the cushions - he rarely uses the box. They were snuggled up together Love .

There were no new droppings in the litter tray though and some pellets left in the food bowl - unheard of for George!! All the veg had gone so I am not too concerned. There are some droppings in the box and I guess it's common in the first throes of a new love to lose interest in food. I've just put some more veg in and Gemma is tucking into the carrot. She seems to prefer veg to pellets. I have to go to work this morning but will check George is eating when I get back. He can't live on love alone!! I'll get some pineapple juice while I am out - I've found it useful for kick starting a bunny's appetite.

Just been in to check on them and Gemma is in the run and George still in the box. Have lifted him out and popped him on his cushions. Gemma hasn't learnt how to get out of the run yet and it will be interesting to see if George stays on his cushions or goes back to be with Gemma. We all need a bit of space and the run is bigger than poor Gemma's dog crate but not huge.

Eventually, they will both move into the kitchen free range but I want to get Gemma's potty training cracked first.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Ahhhh this is sooo lovely, Bless them.

Really need to come and meet Gems when they are settled.

What a lovely love story. You have made two buns very happy.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:32 pm

sounds like all is going well ....im soooooooooooooooooo happy ... Happy Dance

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Not sure it's going quite so well today No

George has been in his box all day which is really unlike him. Gemma has spent part of her day in with him and part in the run. She seems absolutely fine - and has learnt to get out of the run onto the window sill - didn't take her long.

I took up all the newspaper and hoovered as there was loads of fur in the run. Tidied it all up. Put George back in the run and he went straight in the box.

A friend came over this evening and said George looks sad. I put him on the cushions and put some pellets there as I am not sure he has eaten at all today. He ate them and some treats. He is still lying on the cushions and Gemma is in the run. Neither of them have eaten as much as usual. My friend - a singleton like me - said maybe George has been on his own too long and wants to be a sole bun. I hope not. I've asked George why he doesn't like his wife. She is gorgeous. He doesn't move away from her when she joins him in the box and they are not fighting at all. He just looks sad and isn't flopping out in his run as usual.

I'll give it a bit longer but I don't want George to be unhappy. I can't put Gemma outside at the moment as it is too cold and the dog crate is too small for her to live in permanently. George is nearly ready to go free range in the kitchen though so I could put him out there with a tray and bed and let Gemma have the run until the spring when I can bond her with my outdoor three.

George seemed really keen last night but maybe he has realised he no longer has his furry teabags and is mourning or something. He even let me pick him up without struggling earlier. I've checked him to make sure Gemma hasn't hurt him at all but can't see any wounds and he bounced over the cushions without limping or anything.

Maybe he just needs to adjust.

He looks happier on the cushions than he did in the box so I will make sure he has a dish of hay and some water nearby when I go to bed.

Gemma has settled in really well and keeps periscoping to see George. She can get to him if she really wants to but seems OK in the run. I hope it's not unrequited love. I told George he can't just take what he wants from Gemma and then dump her - it's not what an honourable bun does No

Maybe George will be happier tomorrow. If not, I will take him to the vet on Monday and get him checked over as it could be he is feeling poorly and it is coincidence that it has happened now he is with Gemma. I was worried he wasn't eating but he tucked in when I took the food to him!! There are droppings in the box too so his system is working OK.

Bunny keeping is so stressful!! I'm glad I never had children.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 pm

All I would say is it is really early days yet but from all the bondings I have done,I have always been immensley relieved when they have ignored each other. A close bond is very rarely instantaneous but ignorance shows tolerance between rabbits and it is a very good step in the right direction. You will probably start to see a vast improvement within the next few days provided they are not given access to too large an area, and cannot therefore avoid each other for prolonged periods.

Bonding does involve stress and upheaval for both rabbits involved and individuals deal with it differently dependant on their capacity for handling change, so a decrease in appetite, whilst not wanted is not unnatural. It needs monitoring but does not warrant undue panic.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks Sooz. It's been quite a while since I bonded and I have always done it outside before with outdoor buns. It is just so different today to last night when they wouldn't leave each other alone. I will persevere but I don't like to see George looking sad. Having said that I guess if he really didn't want to be with Gemma he would move away from her. He is definitely tolerating her.

I will monitor their food intake. Gemma seems to be coping well but even she is eating less than she did when I first got her. It's seems cruel to induce stress in bunnies that I have rescued hoping to give them a better life but it will be so worth it if they can be a loving bun couple.

Maybe tomorrow will be better as it's Valentine's Day. A friend took me out for a meal and I brought the balloons home, one is a heart shape so maybe having those on the ceiling over the run will help with the love vibes Very Happy

I'm not working at all tomorrow so will spend a lot of time with the buns. Gemma gets to watch the Eastenders omnibus too. I hope she is more impressed than George was. He turns his back on the TV!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 6 Empty Rabbit romance is not going well

Post by Rhianna Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:48 am

Bunny bliss is just not happening No

I went to check on them before going to bed last night and Gemma was in the run and George was on the cushions. I took some hay and pellets to him and he tucked in so that was a relief.

When I went in this morning Gemma was in the box, there was lots of loose fur and no sign of George. I was horrified - thought she may have eaten him!! Eventually I found him hiding behind the TV. Picked him up and he scratched me but when I had him on the settee he let me stroke him for a short time but then wanted to bounce off. I put him back in the run and he jumped on the cushions. Gemma went after him and he ran away from her. It's like he is scared yet she looks like she just wants to be friends.

I have just checked on them and Gemma is in the box and George is under my coffee table. I hate seeing him scared. I rehomed him to make him happy and secure, and feel a really bad bunny mummy.

I am at a loss as to what to do now. I could move them both into my shower room - which is more neutral territory and safe for them both. I could try and put a cover over the run so neither can get out which seems cruel as George can't escape but I guess if I kept an eye on them it may be OK.

Or do I just accept defeat and move George to the kitchen and let him free range and keep Gemma in the run until the spring when I bond her with my outdoor three. I think she will be fine as she really seems to want to be with George and looks so sad when he runs away. She has ripped up the newspaper and is putting it in the box which is a tad worrying. I so hope she isn't pregnant. I'll be excommunicated from here and another site I belong to for bringing more unplanned bunnies into the world. If the worst happened hopefully my vet would help me out with cheaper vaccinations etc as he did say in his opinion it would be safe to put them together.

I have a friend coming over later to meet them so will just watch them both and see how they are reacting. I keep checking George and he isn't hurt at all so they aren't fighting nastily. Maybe he is a commitment phobe? He got what he wanted and now wants to move on and is leaving poor Gemma crying into her hay Crying or Very sad

Suggestions would be gratefully received. If it was warmer I'd put them both in my run outside but it is still far too cold.

This is by far the most stressful bonding I have done. Even when I bonded six outdoor buns it was easier than this.

Gemma is totally unphased and seems to have really settled in. She loves her cuddles and is a real snuggle bun. I will never understand why she was given to PAH. She is a gorgeous bun - and she is using her litter tray reasonably well too. It's George I am worried about. He has had so much pain and trauma already I dont want to add to it. He is still eating though so maybe he isn't as scared as I think he is.

I will be completely grey by the time this is all over.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I think it does sound like things are going fine. Buns need to sort out who is boss and it might be that initially George got in there first with the perpetual bonking, but eventually Gemma decided enough was enough and SHE was going to let him know a thing or two.

When Gloria was introduced to Wolfie (who is a x-nethie, she's a mini lop), he bonked her stupid for the first day and then she got fed up, turned round and just bit him. After that SHE did the bonking and had to just toe the line. He still struts around like he owns the place, but she is definitely the dominant bun. He just chooses to overlook that.

It is very early days and you are speaking about giving up far too soon. They aren't scrapping all the time and seem to be ignoring each other which means that neither views the other as a threat. That's what buns do. They just need to get used to each other, their smells and just generally the other one being there. They sound like they will be really happy, but you just need to be patient, you impatient person! Update on George and Gemma - Page 6 811805 I bet you were a terrible kid at Xmas! Update on George and Gemma - Page 6 811805
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 am

Me, impatient? Don't know what you mean? Very Happy I was definitely out of the building the day the patience fairy came bearing her gifts!

I think part of the problem is that I am so worried George is getting stressed. Gemma seems fine with it all and has settled in wonderfully. George was happy and relaxed until I introduced Gemma.

I spent a lot of time with them yesterday. Gemma is mostly on the window sill and the run and George is under the coffee table. There are chewed speaker cables so someone has been having a nibble. I didn't intend them to free range in the lounge but think it will add to the stress if I move them both to the kitchen now as they will have the cats to contend with too.

I also have bunny droppings all over the lounge so have added another tray outside the run for George to use. I've put food, water and hay outside too.

The area they are in is probably too large although they do sometimes go in the run together.

Am working all day and evening today so will just have to leave them to it. Have tried to block off the TV wires.

I don't want to give up but it isn't going as smoothly as I expected. I thought they would be happily snuggled up in marital bliss by now and it just isn't happening.

The positives are that they are not fighting and are both eating again now. George was more amenable to a cuddle yesterday when I was on the settee. I think he has decided I am less scary than Gemma!!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Laughing I'm going to have to agree with Nickie on this one! I think you are stressing out way too much!

It has only been a few days and they don't want to kill each other which is key. You should have seen my sweet, loving little Brynn get the devil in her eyes and try to kill Hippo when they first met. Fur everywhere, and she even took a chunk out of my hand (despite the oven mits I was wearing). They are now fine and happy together. Gemma and George will be too.

I know you are concerned about George getting stressed out, but I think you need to keep the end goal in mind. I felt so bad about how upset Brynn was in meeting Hippo, but I knew if she could get past it she would have a whole new life opened up to her. As long as George is eating and his droppings are normal I don't think you should be too stressed. Give it time (weeks if not months). If they are not trying to kill one another then that is okay. George may be a little timid because Gemma is asserting dominance, eventually they will establish the pecking order and everything will calm down. Definitely don't give up yet!

Oh, also, once Gemma is spayed her hormones will calm down and she may be less dominant.

The droppings are completely normal it may take quite a while for them to return to their usual litter habits. Right now they are claiming everything (Goodness, I'm so glad human's don't claim things in that way Shocked ).
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear everything is so stressful for you. Sad

I've never bonded buns, so don't really know what I'm talking about Laughing but I do think the signs are good, ie they aren't fighting, etc. Just need to sort out who's to be Top Bunny.

I'm a terrible worrier though, so I feel your pain! Sending vibes to G & G that they will settle down together soon.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I don't normally get stressed with bonding. I think it's because I feel George is so vulnerable. He had just started to feel secure and to really flop out and then I introduced a scary new being into his life. I think I am empathising too much - imagining how I would feel locked in a room with a guy I didn't much fancy Embarassed

I've added another litter tray outside the run and it now has lots of beautiful bunny droppings in it Very Happy George is on the rug under the coffee table and Gemma is in the run. They have both eaten pellets, veg and hay.

I had intended to let them go free range in the kitchen/hallway but I have cat flaps at both the front and the back of the house and hadn't really considered the bunnies may escape through them. I think maybe I will keep them in the lounge, and block off the access to behind the TV where all the main wires are. The run is far too big for the lounge but both of them get out of it regularly so I may as well move it back outside - just in case I take on any more outdoor buns!

I bought a gorgeous little wicker house on Saturday that I thought was just right for a honeymoon cottage. It is chewable too - ideal for bunnies. If I put their tube leading into it, it will make a lovely base for them.

Both George and Gemma love the window seat and window sill and looking out of the window. I think they may be happy living in the lounge. I will let them out in the kitchen when I am around and can keep an eye on them. Neither of them are microchipped and it would be a nightmare if they did get out when I was at work.

Potty training is doing OK really. There are some droppings around but I was expecting that. I think they both have the idea now of where they are meant to go.

Once I get paid at the end of the month I will book Gemma in to be spayed - if she hasn't been already. My vet suggested I use a charity which is much cheaper but I got my cats spayed there and wasn't that impressed so would prefer to use the vet I go to normally. If she is pregnant, how long does it take before baby bunnies appear? I don't want to get her spayed if she is pregnant but I would think it extremely unlikely.

Neither of them have tried to bite me, I am pleased to say. They aren't fighting at all but if Gemma goes near George, he runs away.

I won't give up though. I so want this to work as I do think George will be much happier with a wife. Gemma is adorable in a very girlie way, whereas George is more manly and handsome with his gorgeous big ears. They do make a striking couple. I love having them indoors, although the hay everywhere isn't ideal and I may need to get a new vaccuum. My poor old thing is having trouble coping. The droppings are much easier to clean up. I am really enjoying the new additions to my fur family and just hope they are as happy being here as I am to have them.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm

dont give up yet Wave

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 pm

I honestly think you sound more stressed than the bunnies do! Just stick with it, you will all be fine!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Just got in from work. I'm definitely going to stick with the bonding. I can be a tenacious little being Very Happy It was when George stopped eating that I really got stressed as he has always been such a little piglet where food is concerned. He is back to clearing his dish again now and throwing an empty Whiskas box I've filled with hay around the room.

I feel happier now I've decided the buns are going to stay in the lounge. I can start sorting the room out as their permanent home which means I have a spare run for outside to go with the large spare hutch where Justin used to be. They probably won't be empty for long Very Happy I couldn't drag George away from his window seat and move him into the kitchen - he loves it up there. He has definitely accepted me as his new Bunny Mummy and seems pleased to see me when I get in from work.

I don't know what I used to do with my time before George arrived. It feels like I have had him for months. I'm starting to try and teach him to come to his name for a treat. He adores his treats so I think bribery could well work Very Happy He's really good with his litter tray now - I am very proud of him. I am hoping that Gemma will start to copy him as it's much more hit and miss with her but it's early days yet. I've not even had her a week.

Thank you for your support everyone.

I love my little bunny family and am very lucky to have such wonderful fur babies in my life. Non bunny owners are really missing out.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 am

An update on 'Rabbit Romance'. Both bunnies are spending all their time out of the run now, so I think it's time to get rid of it and use something smaller as their base - either the dog crate or the little willow house I bought.

George had spent most of his time behind the settee - not good as with the run in place I can't move it out to clean the bunny droppings up. I have a sleeping bag behind there and the radiator is there too and George has been snuggled up on the sleeping bag in the warm.

This morning George is in the lounge and Gemma is behind the settee so I think they are slowly working things out. My romantic visions of them snuggled up together in Wedded Bliss haven't happened but at least they are co-existing.

George seems much happier and we had a long snuggle on the sofa yesterday and he put his little head on my chest (plenty of room there Embarassed ) while I stroked his ears. He stayed there for ages before he got restless and hopped down. He now comes up to me when I enter the room (probably to see if I have any treats, if I am honest). I had put some hay in an old Whiskas box and he loves throwing the box around and has spread the hay all over the rug. Sadly, my vaccuum which was held together with parcel tape, has almost given up so I'm using a dustpan and brush. He does eat some hay eventually but seems to prefer playing with it. Both bunnies eat most of their hay from their litter trays, despite me having a hay rack in their run.

I am much less stressed about them now. I think they will bond in their own time - not mine! George seems happy enough and Gemma settled in from the minute I brought her home. She has clearly been well cared for unlike poor George - I guess maybe the children just got bored with her.

They would both like Auntie Katie to come for a visit soon?

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Glad to hear all is going well for you and the buns! Yo sound much more relaxed Smile I'm so looking forward to seeing pics of George and Gemma.....whenever that is... Wink

This thread is amazing, it's the best bunny read on here I think Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Auntie Katie def wants to visit!!!!

Im at college all weekend this weekend ;-(.

Are you free any eves next week??
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:21 pm

You sound a lot happier - and the buns are getting used to each other and seem happy enough. If they really hated each other there would be a lot more tussling and territorial stuff. They will get closer to each other in time. I just can't believe that it has gone from no housebun to a happy couple in a matter of a week or two. You have done so well. Update on George and Gemma - Page 6 497709
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Katie, apart from Mon eve when I am working I am around every eve next week at the moment as we have a week off from my evening class. Whatever suits you is good for me, George and Gemma.

Thanks Jay and Nickie. I did worry that because bonding wasn't going well people on here might think I was a bad Bunny Mummy.

A friend took me out for a meal this evening and popped in to meet the buns first. Gemma snuggled into him for cuddles but George hid behind the settee. He did eat some treats my friend put on the floor but wouldn't take them from his hand, whereas he happily eats from my hand now, so he is definitely trusting me more and more.

Both buns are lying on my rug - not next to each other but about a foot apart - so that's progress. One of them has knocked a plant over and there is earth everywhere. I am really going to have to get a new vaccuum but think I can buy one from a friend's catalogue and pay monthly. I don't see the point getting a really cheap one with eight cats and two indoor buns!! That's a lot of fur for a vaccuum to cope with!

I've always been a homebody - haven't been away even overnight for years - but I look forward to coming home even more now to see what my buns have been up to and how they are doing together. The bonding is definitely going in the right direction - and although I do have some bunny droppings scattered around the lounge, both buns are mostly using their trays, which is wonderful.

I totally adore both of them Happy Dance

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 am

Aw! I am so thrilled for you! You're clearly the farthest thing from a bad bunny mum! I'm glad that you are seeing progress because now you can relax and just enjoy your two new darlings! Very Happy

I can't believe you've kept this thread going for 15 pages without any pictures. That's got to be a HH record. They are like these mysterious celebrities! The only thing tying us over are the pics of George when he was Guy Smile .

I totally understand what you mean about looking forward to going home. I love home and my pets make home, home! Smile
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 am

Even more progress Happy Dance Happy Dance

Last night I went in to say goodnight to the bunsters and see if they needed any more food or hay and both were on the rug. They had eaten all their veg and lots of their hay so I went and got a double dish the cats sometimes have. I went to Asda yesterday and got loads of reduced mixed veg so all the buns could have some variety without it costing me a fortune. I put some pellets at the bottom, then the mixed veg and some broccoli on the top and put it on the rug between George and Gemma and they both tucked in, side by side. They adored the broccoli. Gemma didn't eat that much but stayed by George and at one point he put his head by her.

I just lay on the settee watching them. George was crunching away and so clearly loving his food. Gemma was by his side and I had tears in my eyes thinking of his sad life before Angie rescued him. It was so lovely watching them together and I know the bonding is going to be fine. They've done much better since I started being busier at work and spending less time watching them and stressing out Hmmm

I still haven't worked out how to put photos on my PC from my camera or 'phone. I'll ask Auntie Katie very nicely and see if she will take some when she comes over and put them on for me. I do send Angie the occasional piccy on my mobile when George asks me to. He doesn't want her to forget him Very Happy

This morning both buns are on the rug again and seem quite happy and content and I am a Very Happy Bunny Mummy.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 pm

I am so thrilled for you all Very Happy

Contented bunnies cannot help but bring a smile to your face Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Just popped home for half an hour and Gemma had taken some A4 papers off the coffee table and has eaten half a sheet Shocked

It was printed off my ink jet printer so I hope she will be OK. She still had hay, veg and pellets left to eat but she was loving the paper and was most put out when I took it away from her. She eats the newspaper in the run too. Odd bunny!

I must remember not to leave any work papers in the lounge. If I had to tell my Manager I had lost papers due to the bunny eating them, she would not be impressed!!!

George is on the sleeping bag behind the settee by the radiator - he knows the snuggliest place to lie!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:02 pm

It's a variation of the dog ate my homework!

Glad things are going smoothly. You have done really well and could never ever be considered a bad bunnymum. *wags finger*
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next