Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on George and Gemma

+12
Kirsty&Lola
bunnymadhouse
KatieB
Sixer
Agoutibunny
Happy Hoppers
ElleyMay
Rosie Rabbit
pet mad
NickieM
Jay
Rhianna
16 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 4 Empty Re: Update on George and Gemma

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm

I think somewhere I read that cacti are OK?

That was what turned Kenzo's teefs black! It was a cactus he had chewed. It didn't do him any harm, but stained his teeth.

You are probably better not to let him get at any of your plants just in case.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:23 pm

OK - houseplant moved to top of bookcase Very Happy

No, George did not eat my curtains, but did make a small puddle on one of my cushions. Apart from that all messes have been done in litter trays. I am so pleased with George and keep telling him how clever he is.

I have just had my hair done and let my hairdresser peek at George and he ran through his tube into his box and hid. Bless. He loves the basil. He is now staying in his run. He really is a very adorable little bun.

Am going for a girlie night out now and feel a bit guilty leaving him but I am only working until 11.30 am tomorrow so will be able to spend lots of time with him then and am home all day and evening on Sunday. He does seem content. Will see how he gets on with the cats again tomorrow when I am home.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10 pm

George is doing brilliantly. Lots of mess in litter tray number two. He doesn't seem to be doing much with the one in his box but I will leave it in there.

I watched him this morning and he bounced straight out of his run onto the window seat - it was effortless. I didn't know he could jump that high. He doesn't seem to go anywhere else in the lounge, just lays on the cushions.

I left him there while I went to work. I had cleaned his tray this morning and it now has lots of little messes in it although he is still on the cushions so he does seem to be getting the hang of his litter training. I've pulled the curtains more for him now so he is laying in the sun. He absolutely loves it. I've left the lounge door open as I am in now for a few hours and will be pottering around. The cats are slowly going in the lounge. I'll keep an eye on them and George but I think they will all be fine.

Watching George laying on a pile of cushions in the sun almost moved me to tears. He looks so relaxed and almost regal. I can see how much he is enjoying it. He can see out of the window into the garden and I do feel a bit mean not letting him out but I know it is too cold. I can't wait until the warmer weather when he can play in the garden. I think he will love it.

I'm glad he seems happy in his run and on the cushions and hasn't chewed anything he shouldn't - yet!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Rhianna wrote: Watching George laying on a pile of cushions in the sun almost moved me to tears. He looks so relaxed and almost regal. I can see how much he is enjoying it. He can see out of the window into the garden and I do feel a bit mean not letting him out but I know it is too cold. I can't wait until the warmer weather when he can play in the garden. I think he will love it!

He must feel like he is at the spa!! It's so wonderful to see them happy and relaxed isn't it? He must be feeling very at home and very loved to be jumping up on the window seat and relaxing like that. If he was scared he would just be hiding in the box, or in a corner of his cage! Love

You're doing a fab job! Thumbs Up

Glad to hear the litter habits seem to be improving a bit... I knew they would!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Ahhhhh how fab - bless him. He sounds like he is very happy.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:01 pm

Well you will meet His Highness George tomorrow Katie.

I've been out for the evening, came back and he is still on the cushions. He did go back into his run this afternoon when the cats went in the lounge so after a while I evicted them and George was straight up on the cushions.

His litter tray has even more droppings in it (never thought I would get so excited about piles of bunny poo!!) so he must be going back to the run to use his tray which is an enormous step forward for my little man.

He doesn't seem to have gone into any other part of the lounge - just the cushions. I am happy with that as he was in a run for a reason - the lounge isn't an area I want him in long term - too many areas he could hide in or chew.

I did carry him out to the kitchen and hallway earlier and he hated it so I took him back to his run. I don't think he is ready to expand his horizons just yet. He seems content on the cushions and is just flopped out. He is a long bunny when he is stretched out. He really does look very regal. I hope Katie gets to see him like that tomorrow. When you get to the front door look right Katie and you may be able to see George. Perhaps he is going to be a Guard Bunny and put off any prospective burglars!!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:19 am

AWWW ...I cant wait to check this everyday and see how hes doing ...

he must think he is in heaven ..he realy must Very Happy

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:27 am

I was wondering about moving this into the Blog section as it is sorely under-used and might encourage a few more people to get blogging. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:50 pm

Yay happy George day. Can't wait to hear about his adventures, he sounds like a right character!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 pm

His Highness George has just met Auntie Katie - and he was really good and didn't hide at all, but let her stroke him, and stroke him, and stroke him - I think he really enjoyed someone else fussing him - he probably gets a bit bored with Mummy cuddles.

I did find a puddle on the window seat this morning but it was dry so it must have been done a while ago. I expect the odd accident and think George is doing amazingly well considering he has only been with me a week.

George spent some time in his run when Katie was here and then jumped up on his cushions. His ears were waving around and Katie and I both think he was listening to our conversation. I hope he doesn't get any ideas about copying any of Daisy B's naughtier antics.

Katie said she thinks George looks relaxed and happy - which has reassured me. I tried him on a piece of banana this morning but he wasn't impressed. He has finished his basil plant though - clearly that met Royal Favour!! Something to add to the shopping list.

I've not looked at the blog part of the site. Will go and have a read now!

George and I are going to watch Eastenders together later - not entirely sure it would be his choice of TV but he can always go to sleep in the sun - something he is very good at!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I found George on his pile of cushions this morning when I got up. Gave him his breakfast.

Have just come home for lunch and he is in his box, which is very unusual. I have been home an hour and he hasn't moved. I gave him a couple of treats which he did eat. I have to go back to work now but only for a couple of hours then I am home for a while before I go to work this evening.

I hope George is OK. He never goes in his box for any length of time. He is going to the vet at 8.30 am tomorrow for his myxi jab anyway so will be given a check-up.

He seemed fine last night. Just sat on his cushions looking regal. I gave him some pellets when I went to bed as he had eaten those he had earlier, and his veg and had devoured a huge amount of hay so I thought he was probably hungry.

He has eaten some of his pellets this morning, but not all of them and some of his spring greens. Have just put some parsley in for a treat and he hasn't touched that.

Maybe he knows he is going to the vet tomorrow - he would have heard me telling Katie yesterday. Poor baby may be scared. I hate unsettling him again by putting him in a carrier but I hate the idea of him getting myxi even more!

I hope he is back on his cushions when I get home from work. They look empty without a George on them.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Just gone in to check on George - now late for work - and he is out of box and has eaten all the parsley so I think he is OK. I really am turning into a neurotic bunny Mummy!!!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Maybe he saw something out the window that startled him today....postie possibly.....scratch
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:55 am

George seemed fine for the rest of yesterday - finished his pellets and veg and had loads of hay so I topped it up before I went to bed.

This morning he went to the vet for his myxi jab. He was very jumpy and I was pleased the nurse was holding him. The vet checked him over and declared he is 'in good nick'!! I've only been seeing this vet about 8 months and he is Australian and lovely - and seems to know a lot about bunnies, which is why I started going there.

Bought George home and gave him some parsley as a treat. He is now back on his cushions but doesn't look as relaxed as before. He hated being in the carrier and tried to dig his way out all the way to the vet. I just hope he settles down again.

I keep looking at rescue bunnies on various sites with a view to maybe finding George a wife. I'd really like a French lop but wonder if she would be too big for George to bond with. I wouldn't rescue yet anyway. George needs time with me 1-1 and to settle in. It is something I have talked to him about but I can't tell if he is interested or not. scratch

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Glad that George has settled in well and recovered from his long journey.
what a great story to read better than any soap Laughing
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I think George has got over his vet visit now. I bought some readigrass yesterday and have given him some of that, along with some carrot tops and kale. He especially loves the kale. He seems constantly hungry but always has hay available and does tuck into it. I think I read somewhere that too much readigrass isn't good for bunnies - is that right?

He digs and digs my cushions so I have put an old one on top as he was tearing the others with his claws.

I am wondering if it is time to let him explore the kitchen/hallway which is where I am hoping he will free range. Will have a try after work today and see how he reacts.

I carried him out there last week and he was terrified so I put him back in his pen. I think he is bored though so needs to expand his horizons a bit. He really is a gorgeous bundle of fur and I think he is starting to trust me a bit more and to accept that this is his Forever Home. I really hope so.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Wave Wave

hello George ... kissy kissy from aunty Angie ...

I think the being constantly hungrey thing is due to him being half starved when he arrived .. i have seen this before with bunnies who hadnt had enough to eat to the point of near starvation ...its as if they need to constantly eat just in case there suddenly isnt any food again Sad

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Have just given George some more food and he has wolfed it down. He doesn't seem to be putting on any weight and is still eating his hay so I am not too worried. He has some cabbage and spring greens and a few more pellets.

I think something changed during the week and George seems more pleased to see me now and comes over to the edge of the run when I come into the lounge. Maybe he has decided I am OK and he is happy to stay here. He flops down more on his side now, which I think is a relaxed bun.

His potty training is doing really well. He is a very clever bunny.

He sends kisses to Aunty Angie too xxxx

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 pm

It really sounds like he is settling down well and now sees you as a source of food ..... and love. Update on George and Gemma - Page 4 811805
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:11 am

Well, I have had a long chat with George and we have made a decision - we are going to find him a wife.

I do my best but I am out of the house a lot with my jobs and I think he may be lonely. When I look at my other three buns snuggling and playing and grooming each other, I think George is missing out. I did think about bonding him with them but it would mean him being an outdoor bun and I don't want him to have the trauma of being shut in a hutch at night after being abandoned in one. He has done so well with his potty training too and has settled in well to indoor life so I would prefer to keep him as a house-bun. He will go outside in the summer but still sleep indoors at night.

I have checked with Angie and she is happy for me to find George a partner. I didn't realise I would feel so guilty when I leave him. It's not so bad when I am going to work as I have to do that but when I go to my evening class or out to see a friend I feel bad and try and come back as soon as I can.

So, George is now on the market for a partner. I'd like a French lop or French lop cross as I think they are gorgeous and want a biggish bunny. Ideally, I'd like a young bunny so she could grow up with George and hopefully be easy to potty train. I am not sure how realistic this is as I want to rescue.

I don't know if there is a 'bunny wanted' bit in the rescue thread but if there is I will post something there.

George is doing well - absolutely loves his food and now seems much more interested in me - the two are probably connected Very Happy He very rarely goes in his box and usually flops out on my window seat or in his run. He can explore the whole lounge as he has found out how to escape his run but he doesn't seem to want to and I don't feel i should force him.

George is looking forward to finding a wife but a bit upset he is plumless. He can't be put with an unspayed female for a few more weeks yet as he wasn't neutered until 12 Jan and much as I love bunnies, there are far too many homeless buns without me adding to the problem.

So, watch this space Smile

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Oooh it gets better and better this bunny soap! Now a bunny wedding. Update on George and Gemma - Page 4 811805
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm not sure about the bunny wedding. Have spent ages on the internet looking for a young female french lop I can rescue and there is nothing - even looking a long way away.

I would be happy with a cross or even a largish lop - it doesn't have to be a french. I would really prefer a young one though and they seem in short supply. I guess I could go to an ethical and reputable breeder - there is one on another pet site I visit - but I really wanted to rescue.

I had a friend come over this afternoon to meet George. I thought George may hide initially but he didn't. He has started climbing from the cushions onto the window sill now and lying with his paws and head over the edge. He looks so cute. My friend took some photos and is going to e-mail them to me so I can then add them to the forum - I don't know how to do that myself.

George was totally laid back while my friend was here - I did give him some treats to feed George so that may have had something to do with it! It's funny when George is really relaxed but wants to listen to what I am saying, he lifts just one ear up - it's like he is just toooooo tired to lift both Love My friend fell in love with him.

I just wish I could find him a wife (George not my friend!). I will 'phone some local rescues in the week as they may have bunnies available that aren't on their websites, although some seem to have been updated very recently.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:08 pm

He'll be vetting your pals next! He sounds like he has you right round his finger Update on George and Gemma - Page 4 811805 Update on George and Gemma - Page 4 811805 So wonderful that it is all going well. I am really enjoying keeping up with Life According to George.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 pm

hi karen,

Have you tried contacting Catswhiskers???

There was a post about lots of buns looking for a home. maybe she can help. Seems like there are so many needing to be rescued at the moment.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Rhianna! Very exciting new news! Very Happy

It sounds like George is relaxing into his new life!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next