Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on George and Gemma

+12
Kirsty&Lola
bunnymadhouse
KatieB
Sixer
Agoutibunny
Happy Hoppers
ElleyMay
Rosie Rabbit
pet mad
NickieM
Jay
Rhianna
16 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Update on George and Gemma - Page 8 Empty Re: Update on George and Gemma

Post by KatieB Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 pm

I have tried assorted anti chew stuff.....the only thinf I found was to put olbas oil on the skirtings.....however thats not going to be good for your sofa either.

Post it notes sound like a good idea!!

Daisys pen was quite big...... it was at least 2 sq M so there would be plenty of room. I dont think it would do them any harm at all. I tell you this as someone who has seen the demise of two sofas..... it was so much more flexible than a run too as it folds away to nothing. Def worth a look.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Bet they would eat the post-its!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Wonders what adventures George and Gemma are getting upto this thread has been far too quiet!!!
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 am

I agree, I'm missing my George fix. Update on George and Gemma - Page 8 811805 We want George, We want George.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:44 am

No kidding...... and... WE STILL NEED PICTURES! You need to get someone to teach you how to put pictures on your computer. We have been patient for far too long! Laughing

Hope they and you are well!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 am

Hi all

Sorry I haven't posted for ages. I've tried to get broadband but eventually found out the reason it won't work is because my PC is too old Sad . I've also applied for three jobs, had three interviews and been offered two (and wouldn't have wanted the third anyway). I did keep thinking about posting here but was worried you will all hate me as I had intended putting George and Gemma outside once the weather is better. They have completely wrecked my lounge Crying or Very sad

They are using the sofa as a litter tray and have chewed the material and the cushions, the floor is covered in hay, wooden cat litter - and droppings. They've chewed the covers of my DVDs - but not the actual DVDs fortunately. The wallpaper has been nibbled as has my soft snowman. They have also eaten the cables behind the TV so there is no longer a picture when I put it on. Nothing I put up as a barrier seems to work - I am convinced they can fly!!! They knocked my large pot plant over and dug up all the earth - didn't realise buns were that strong.

My outdoor three buns play, bounce and then seem to flop and rest a lot. George and Gemma are constantly on the go - they don't seem to stop!!! They are chasing each other a lot but I think that is spring!!

The lounge is now a huge bunny cage Sad

I had decided to buy a new hutch and bond them with my outdoor three but worried about putting George in a hutch when he was left starving in one. I don't want to traumatise the poor furball as he seems really happy now and loves his wife. I had also hoped to rehome another two buns for outside if I got a third job (which I have done Happy Dance ) and could afford them. (I've had my eye on two from BARCS for some time).

What I have decided to try once I get paid next week is to buy two stairgates so I can barrier off the cat flaps and George and Gemma can go free range in the kitchen/hall - which is what I originally intended. There is nothing there they can destroy and they will have more clear space to run. The lounge is very cluttered - which is why I can't put a run in there - it would be far too small for them. I will still put them outside during the day once the weather is consistently warmer.

I'm happy with that decision. I will get my lounge back - the only room that was reasonably OK as my cats aren't allowed in there unsupervised - and George won't have the trauma of being shut in a hutch at night.

On a positive note - apart from me being an incredibly Bad Bunny Mummy - and not being able to train my buns to behave - George and Gemma are very Happy Bouncy Bunnies. They love their food, adore wrecking my things, and have their snuggle time with each other. It was definitely the right decision finding George a wife. He has really come out of himself - although I think it is Gemma who has taught George naughtiness. He no longer eats all his food the minute it appears. He does have a nibble and then goes off for a bounce like Gemma. I hope he now realises he will never be starving again - although I am being strict about only feeding twice a day and once that has gone they have to eat hay.

Despite the chaos in my lounge I don't regret rehoming George and Gemma. It isn't their fault - they are just being bunnies. I hadn't thought it through properly and had no idea just how destructive buns can be. I had never intended them to live in the lounge but only recently thought of stairgates after reading another post. That is the answer - and I am very relieved that there is one! I love them both dearly and I do believe they are both happy here. I would miss them if they had to go outside. They probably won't like being moved to the kitchen to start with but I think they will settle down. They will have more interaction with the cats too.

I know I still haven't put any photos on and promise I will try and work out how to do it.

George and Gemma send big nose rubs and thank you all lots for asking about them xxx

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am

Oh I'm sorry to hear all that Rhianna, and no-one would think badly of you for anything, sometimes things don't work out and you to try a new approach. Going free range is not always easy, and sometimes for the safety of your buns (cables) and your sanity, it's best to keep them confined and give supervised play time.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but please ask if you're having probs, we've all been there, and that's the time you should be on here, it's what we're here for. They will calm down in time Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Don't be daft Rhianna, you have been an absolute saint to those buns. Without you, they wouldn't have the wonderful home they enjoy - and despoil!

TBH I would probably not enjoy having my buns in the house. If I was at home all day, maybe, but not when I am out of the house 9 - 5. They are very messy and can be destructive. I think you and your house have suffered enough Update on George and Gemma - Page 8 811805

They will be happy outside and can come in to visit often. Daisy seems to flit in and out and I think that is really good for them.

Stop beating yourself up. We would never have a go at you here. This is a very nice civilised forum Update on George and Gemma - Page 8 811805
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:46 pm

OHHHHH DEAR ...NAUGHTY NAUGHTY BUNNIES Rolling Eyes

If you do have to put them outside im sure they would be fine ...they have each other and a lovely mummy to make sure they dont go hungrey ..what more could a bunny want Thumbs Up

please dont feel bad

i realy do think you should reclaim your lounge ...and safety gates are a good idea ..

just two tips ..we had to put mesh on our safety gate as nemo could get his head through the gaps ...and just be sure they cant jump over...you will be surprised how high some buns can jump .. Hmmm ..nemo and tanya have never tried to jump theirs but then again they are both lazy lumps Laughing

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Awww hun - sorry to hear they are not behaving any better!

I think that the safety gates are a wonderful idea, and will hopefully sort the problem out.

Will def try and get over to see you soon.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am

Aaaw thank you everyone for your understanding.

I am going to buy a couple of stairgates over the weekend and move the buns to the kitchen and see how it goes. I'll try and get some with narrow bars if I can. They will see me more that way as now I don't have a picture on the TV I am not sitting in the lounge with them in the evenings. I'll try and make it an interesting space for them but they never play with toys. They have loved their wicker house which is over half eaten now Very Happy I will definitely buy them another one. They do chew boxes so I will put a couple of those in there too.

There is always a cat asleep in the kitchen so I am hoping the buns will make some new friends. They will have more room to just run too - the lounge is very cluttered.

I will start putting them outside during the day once the weather warms up a bit and the rain stops. I don't really want to move them outside permanently but if they seem happier outdoors then I will do.

I did catch both of them flopped out last night when I got in - they must have been trying to make up their minds what to destroy next.

I bought them some fresh parsley and they loved it. George is definitely not so stressed about food now which is wonderful. I think he is a happy bun. He wasn't destructive when it was just him. I wonder if Gemma's 'chew everything in sight' behaviour is why she ended up in the PAH adoption bit as she had been a house bun before.

I may moan but I would never, ever want to get rid of them. They are part of my family and I can't imagine life without them. I've got a 'mature' cat who keeps having accidents upstairs too but it's not her fault - I will probably get old and incontinent one day!! I am not particularly houseproud but will be happier with the buns in the kitchen. They can then come in the lounge when I am there, like the cats do.

Thank you all so much for your understanding. You all seem to cope so well with your housebuns I felt a bit of a failure.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

dont be daft. . You're not a failure you are doing an amazing amazing job and your buns and lucky to have you. X
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Well, George and Gemma think I am the worst Bunny Mummy in the world as they have been moved to the kitchen today.

I feel incredibly guilty but they chewed some more wallpaper in a place I can't put furniture in front of it. My tv now doesn't work at all and they have chewed a photo album - but fortunately not the photos. The lounge is completely wrecked and is going to take some time to sort out. They didn't stop at the wallpaper but have eaten some of the plaster too and as the walls are terracotta it looks awful.

A friend gave me a stairgate and a fire guard which just didn't work so another friend suggested some wood and nails. We went to B and Q yesterday and I now have something rigged up to enclose the buns in the kitchen (it doesn't have a door but is open plan) so they can't get to the cat flaps. They can't catch themselves on the nails and the wood is too high for them to jump so I think it is as bunny proof as I can make it.

They have a dog crate as a base with a big storage box in there with litter and hay. I've covered the crate to make a den but they are huddled in there looking incredibly sad. They used to love sitting on the window seat looking outside and eating my lounge but I just couldn't take it any more.

I will let them outside once the weather is consistently warmer and they will be able to have access to the hallway too when I am home but for now I am confining them to the kitchen.

The positives is that I will see more of them as I wasn't spending any time in the lounge once they had eaten the TV cable. They will also have the cats for company - Moppet is asleep in the bunny wicker house at the moment.

I so hope this works. It means I have to keep climbing over wood when I go in and out of the kitchen but it will be worth it to keep the buns indoors. I really don't want to put them outside as I am hoping to rehome a couple from BARC to bond with my outdoor three. I don't want to have to put George back in a hutch again after the trauma he had being shut starving in one before he was rescued.

George and Gemma just look so sad I feel a really bad Bunny Mummy. I've tried to explain to them why I have moved them but I don't think they understand. They will never be shut in the crate - it is just a base for them so they still have a whole room to run in. I will spend some time sitting on the floor out there this evening and see if they will come to me for treats. They are snuggled together which is lovely to see. United in their displeasure of their wicked Mummy.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Bunnies have a wonderful ability at making us feel guilty. I detect that they don't feel guilty for trashing your living room! They will be absolutely fine and will get used to it quickly and will have your company and that of the cats. Spring is here and very soon they will be able to get out and have a sniff outside. Don't let them guilt-trip you! Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:09 am

I feel a little bit better now. Sat on the floor for a while and George came out to see me and deigned to munch a fenucreek crunchy treat. He appears to have adjusted much better than Gemma. The cats seem to like the company once they realised I wasn't going to keep moving the wood and they would have to jump over it to get into the kitchen!!

I have removed the wood so George and Gemma can bounce around the hallway too and they seem to be enjoying that and are running from one end of the house to the other (it's not that big a house but it's still a reasonable area for them to bound around in). I can only do that while I am in because I have a cat flap in the back and the front doors. I worry that they will eat the cats' food as well - my laid back cats would probably just sit back and let them.

It's lovely to see more of them and I was happier when washing up Very Happy I think I will enjoy them more now. I was getting to the point I dreaded getting up and going in the lounge each morning because of what I was going to find. When I went in the lounge they used to hide behind the sofa (guilty I expect) so I didn't see that much of them. Now I can stroke them much easier and talk to them while I am in the kitchen.

I just worry that they will be bored as they don't have so many things to destroy. They have never played with toys though. I've given them a box to eat and they still have what is left of their wicker house. They have wicker sticks and a chew toy and rattly carrot. I have put a hay rack in the crate with some spring greens in and just filled their litter tray with fresh hay as the seem to like sitting in there together and munching away at the hay and it's gone down loads.

They do have each other though and the cats when I am out. I think I am worrying too much and you are so right Nickie - they are brilliant at giving me 'the look' so I feel a really Bad Bunny Mummy.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:21 am

Hiya

Ignore them Karen - (spoken like someone who is well and truly under the paw - tee hee)

I think they get taught "the look" as babies. They know how to make you feel guilty but they never seem to get it themselves! Little devils.

They have a fabulous life with you!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 am

So far, so good. Got up this morning and my kitchen is still intact Laughing

There are a few raisins on the rug but I can live with that - and the rug is washable unlike the one in the lounge which is going to have to be binned.

George seems to be much happier than Gemma who is staying mainly in the dog crate. She has eaten some pellets and spring greens and is constantly munching hay so I am not too worried but I hate to see her looking so sad. I think it was her who was the main destructive force as George was fine when he was on his own.

Moppet loves the little wicker house (or what is left of it now) and has taken it over. It's a bit small for her really but she looks happy snuggled up in there. I will buy another one and hopefully the buns can start eating that one. I put the house on top of the crate thinking the buns could jump up there but neither have and it seems to be more a cat sleeping place now. I had a wicker chair in the kitchen they used to sleep on and had to remove it to make room for the crate so I guess the my feline fur babies had to find somewhere else to snuggle.

I am trying not to be affected by 'the look'.

Are you still coming over to visit sometime Katie? The buns would love to see you again. x

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 am

Yes deffo want to come and visit. When are you free?

Im been ill all easter so sometime next week would be better for me.

Cant wait to meet Gemma! And of course i still have their prezzie here.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 am

Next Sun afternoon would be good if that is any use for you? I am on-call Tues, Fri, Sat and Sun night (my new job) so although I am around I may have to disappear suddenly. Wed and Thurs I am either out or counselling.

The following week I am on call Wed, Thurs and Fri but am in Sat afternoon and all day Sun. Hope one of these suits you.

Gemma is looking forward to meeting you and George wants to show you how much braver he has become.

We all hope you start to feel better soon. Being poorly at Easter is pants.

I'm off to Manor Farm near Botley now to see some lamblings and baby piglets Happy Dance One of my favourite afternoons out. Having a picnic too so hope it doesn't rain.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Glad that it is working out. I do suspect you are right about Gemma having been re-homed because of her chewing. She will just have to re-learn bad behaviour and if she wants to chew, will have to chew what you chew-s for her to eat (get the pun!) She will soon learn.

Everyone has to be happy and it isn't good for you if you are having a hard time and your house is being trashed no matter how cute the buns are.

I went out to see mine when I came home from work today and they both shot into the hutch cos they thought it was teatime. They were pretty miffed when I just stroked them! The cheek. Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 am

George and Gemma seem to have settled into the kitchen. I think George is actually happier as he sees more of me and the cats but Gemma is still not a happy bunny.

I do remove the wood in the kitchen when I am in so they have the hallway to run in as well which is quite a bit of space. I was worried about them eating the cat food but they don't seem to bother with it.

I am glad I moved them as I am so much more relaxed with them now. I hadn't realised how stressed I was about the state of the lounge each day until it stopped!!

The kitchen floor is a bit of a mess with raisins and hay but I can live with that as it is easy enough to clean.

The good news now they have settled is that they won't need to go outside so I have space for two more outdoorbuns!!!!

Have started a separate thread about my exciting plans for rehoming two new bunsters to join my fur family. Am very excited!!!!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Have put George and Gemma out in a run in the garden for the first time. Am not sure how long to leave them out there as I want to go to bed in a minute for a while (was on-call last night so got very little sleep and am on-call again this evening).

They seem to be enjoying it. I will eventually let them free-range but thought the run was a good start. I don't feel lively enough to have to run around the garden to catch them later.

I wish I had moved them to the kitchen much sooner. I see more of them and although it takes a while to clean their huge tray (an underbed plastic box) and the crate and rug it is soooooo much easier than dealing with the chaos they caused in the lounge.

I thought I would be able to replace the TV cable but apparently if it is the one that is actually inside the TV it will cost a fortune to fix Crying or Very sad

Just as well I really love George and Gemma or I would be wearing a nice new furry pair of gloves and eating bunny curry (I don't eat meat so that is never going to happen whatever they do!)

Gemma had pulled a lot of her fur out and made a nest which worried me. I think maybe she hasn't been spayed and I will need to get that done. Do spayed buns make nests?

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Its really really wonderful to hear that they have settled into the kitchen - its brilliant you can have your living room back too!

Im really really pleased!

THought i might pop over next sun 18th - late afternoon? How are you fixed??
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmate Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 pm

I bet he was annoyed to go down the wrong way. at least you arrived safely. how is he now?

thumpersmate
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Katie

I haven't actually done anything to sort out the lounge yet - the litter trays are still in there and the chaos. I've been doing extra hours with my third job shadowing and training so am working stupid hours as I am still doing the other two jobs as well. It will all settle down soon hopefully.

I am going to a meditation group next Sun from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm but should be around after 5.00 pm if that is any good for you? I am not on-call then so won't have to suddenly disappear.

I can't let the terrible two run down the whole hallway as I was doing as I noticed they were about to start chewing my computer cable. It is the only cable in that area. Where did you get that stuff to cover the cable? I know you told me but I can't remember and need to get some before I can let them loose.

George would love to see you again and Gemma would like to meet you too. I may ask you to hold them while I cut their nails if it's OK as I don't have any bunny savvy friends to ask and don't really want to go to the vet just for that. It does take two though - I don't think I can manage on my own. I am sure they will be very good bunnies for Auntie Katie!

George is fine now thumpersmate. Much more confident and busy humping Gemma at the moment. I don't think he realises he has had his furry teabags removed. I did feel sorry for Gemma until I watched further and when George stops, Gemma turns around and mounts him so she is clearly feeling springlike too.

Sometimes, I come into the kitchen and they are just snuggled together which is what I so hoped for when I started bonding them. I just melt and sometimes am almost in tears. It is so lovely to see them safe and secure and all loved up. Love

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next